Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 PM

25 posts, read 111,203 times

Advertisements

Can anyone familiar with the area give me any insight as to the different communities of housing. I've been looking at realtor.com at a lot of houses mostly in the Jensen beach area but don't know where all of the communities are? Trying to find an established community where I can mow my own grass and plant my own plants/shrubs/flowers, another words no HOA? Or are there HOAs out there that simply pay for community pools, gates/guards but still allow you to maintain your own yard?

Looking for a family oriented community, we are a young 30s family with two small children.

Would also be interested if anyone has input on the St. Lucie area as well, after reading some of the posts about that area. Not interested in Tradition though. Need something closer to the water.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
If you need to be close to the water, as in pretty doggone close, then Port St. Lucie is not for you. The closest is a bit more than 6 miles, and the city is so big it could be as far as 20 miles. My house is right about the middle of the city and is 13 miles from the beach at Jensen Beach and about 13-1/2 miles from South Beach in Fort Pierce.
It's tough to make recommendations about Jensen Beach or Stuart without having some idea of your budget. Regardless, you will pay a price for being closer to the water -- even the lowest priced places, nowhere near the quality of most of Port St. Lucie, will be more expensive. The range is from trailer parks to tiny Summer homes to single family homes in Leilani Heights to houses on Skyline Drive overlooking the Indian River Lagoon to a neat development called Sugar Hill to some newer developments, further from the water, such as Pineapple something-or-other. Leilani Heights is the one with older houses, many somewhat run down.

Name some of the areas in which you might be interested, and let us know something of your expectations, and several people will be able to jump in and give you their opinion.

Personally, I come under the heading of "miser" (I prefer "thrifty"), and I have never seen anything in Jensen Beach -- or anywhere in Martin County -- that made it worth the extra money. But then, I'm also a crusty old curmudgeon who dislikes the beach.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:17 PM

PSLOldtimer - Thanks so much for the reply! I'll get on realtor.com and write back with some of the places I've seen that look decent to us. Also, Palm City has come up in discussion so I'll send some of those as well and see if you can give any input.

Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:49 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly925 View Post
Can anyone familiar with the area give me any insight as to the different communities of housing. I've been looking at realtor.com at a lot of houses mostly in the Jensen beach area but don't know where all of the communities are? Trying to find an established community where I can mow my own grass and plant my own plants/shrubs/flowers, another words no HOA? Or are there HOAs out there that simply pay for community pools, gates/guards but still allow you to maintain your own yard?

Looking for a family oriented community, we are a young 30s family with two small children.

Would also be interested if anyone has input on the St. Lucie area as well, after reading some of the posts about that area. Not interested in Tradition though. Need something closer to the water.

Thanks in advance!
I love Jensen Beach, just a few minutes from the beach and a nice downtown area. My son attended K-5 at Jensen Beach Elementary and loved it, an A rated school for many years now. We lived right on Skyline drive and Indian River drive-many kids in this neighborhood and the view was beautiful I know someone who is selling their home, they have a nice pool and a great view of Hutchinson Island. Also know someone who can help you out. pm me if you like. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,248 times
Palm City is also nice! Mostly private gated communities though, a bit more expensive. Excellent schools in Palm City as well-really depends on what you can afford. Lived in Stuart for many years also-I just love the whole area

Old 05-04-2007, 09:30 PM

ok PSLOldtimer if you're still out there here's some areas I found on realtor.com if you can shed any light on any of these that would be great.

Jensen Beach - Leilani Heights, Pincrest Lakes, also Pineapple Plantation?

Stuart - River Forest, Coral Lakes, Martin Meadows, North River Shores

Palm City - Martin Downs Piper Landing, The Meadows, Heronwood

Hope this isn't too much...Thanks for your help.

Looking for a good family community with kids, sidewalks would be nice for walking, need a house that has room for boat storage as to avoid paying to store it elsewhere (small 15' whaler). I think I mentioned before would prefer a community where we can maintain our own yard and landscaping... Looking to spend less than 350k. Don't want a house that needs a lot of updating, but doesn't have to be brand new either.

Spent 13 years in east Boca Raton older house (1960s) community with great neighbors who all for the most part took care of their homes, a lot of younger families moving in, sidewalks, safe, close to shopping, grocery etc. We moved away and are now trying to get back, but a little further north. Always liked the area of Jupiter Stuart Jensen but got settled in Boca and there we stayed.

Does this help at all? Hope this gives an idea of what we are trying to find.

Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Thanks for posting JensenBeachGal. I was hoping you would see this thread and post, I have read some of your posts in other threads and was hoping you could give your input since you are from the area.

I'll send you a pm.

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
I can help with a couple, and I'm certain others will jump in. also.

Leilani Heights is where you go if you absolutely must live in Martin County but can't afford to live in Martin County. Many older homes, but not the kind with character -- more the type that were built in the '60's for retirees. Many homes run down, many with old cars and trucks, etc. There are probably also some nice, well-kept properties, but that would not be the norm.

North River Shores -- one of the first upscale developments in Martin County, still pretty nice. Many older homes, but some are starting to be rebuilt or torn down (especially the waterfront) to bring them up to date. My wife's Father wanted us to live there when we first moved to Florida in 1972, but it was too expensive for us then, and still is today. You might find a nice, non-waterfront house for $350K.

Piper's Landing -- like almost all Palm City developments, definitely gated, and you might be able to put your $350K down for first and last month for a rental (slight exaggeration, but not much).

Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 AM

Thanks PSLOldtimer for your help! My husband was up in that general area kind of getting a feel for the different areas and where everything is.

I'm sure we will probably rent something first although I hate the thought of packing everything up again once we do buy something but I'd rather rent first than buy right now with the market the way it is, and also want to make sure we choose the right area.

Much thanks again for all of your input!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,604 times
Talking Martin Downs in Palm City

Hey everyone... I have been reading your statements, and I have a couple of ideas..

What about Martin Downs Country Club in Palm City? Have you seen that the prices in the Heronwood section have dropped from 319K to 279K.. It is a nice area and I think it is time to buy... I have been waiting for the prices to drop.

There are a couple of homes for sale in that area.. Great schools for my little ones... Shopping, Publix's, everything you need without going into town..

It is a gated community though, which keeps your property values high, so you dont get junkie cars, etc.. Check it out. It is a nice area.

Kymmie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach