Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,162 times

Advertisements

Hi, currently live along the coast in Cambria,ca. My husband is a nurse and has an offer to work there for a year. It seems very pleasant,and all the info on schools looks good. Looking for some thoughts from the locals about your town,Cape Elizabeth. Community, churches, things to do for the whole family(teenagers)anyone care to offer some support? Thank You
Clare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
Here are some other recent threads that have info about Cape
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=5953876

Old 06-17-2008, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,736 times
Jumping in here ~ have visited Portland a few times on way towards downeast summers. Husband and I looking to re-locate from midatlantic. We like the city, like the cape's proximity to city, ( someone do enlighten me about 'tony'....) and wondering if there is an an Asian polulation in the schools for this culturally diverse family. Seeking less ignorance and more tolerance ~touchy subject, I know~any other international adoptive families out there?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Who the he** is tony?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Who the he** is tony?
Old fashioned term ( circa 1950's) to denote upscale, pseudo ritzy!!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Oh thank god, a reasonable explanation! Thanks moughie!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I understood and didnt realize some didnt know what "tony" meant....lol but then I am older than many of you youngsters.

High tone:
characterized by dignity, lofty moral or intellectual quality, high principles, etc.: often used ironically or humorously

Informal of or imitating the manners, attitudes, etc. of the upper classes

Last edited by elston; 06-21-2008 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: add dictionary definition

Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM

198 posts, read 354,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambria67 View Post
Hi, currently live along the coast in Cambria,ca. My husband is a nurse and has an offer to work there for a year. It seems very pleasant,and all the info on schools looks good. Looking for some thoughts from the locals about your town,Cape Elizabeth. Community, churches, things to do for the whole family(teenagers)anyone care to offer some support? Thank You

Clare
Cape Elizabeth will be fine. It's a great community. The schools are fine, and the people are nice. CE has its tony areas, but for the most part its a well-run and up-scale community. You will like the entertainment and night life nearby Portland. Good music, great restaurants, pro baseball, hockey, museums, art festivals, clam festivals, Old Port festival, beaches, boating skiing, lots of concerts. Old Port rocks.

You can do a year on the coast of Maine standing on your head. I moved to Laguna Woods from Maine...the CE area, so I'm familiar with both areas. The medical community in Portland is fairly progressive with fine facilities and professional staffs.

If the winters weren't so long, and if the summer humidity and bugs would disappear, I would have stayed in Maine. The winters finally got to me. 55 years of Maine winters were enough.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 PM

65 posts, read 155,993 times
Cape Elizabeth is great. It's wealthy by Maine standards, but not by California standards. It's a great community. The people living there year round are kept fairly down to earth by having to deal with the weather.

The summer crowd are something else, but overall Cape Elizabeth is a great place to live. Close to portland, great schools, great scenery. If my career didn't pull me away I'd happily have lived there for a long long time.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 44,261 times
CE is considered the exclusive suburb of Portland. Falmouth runs a close second. Both are close to/on the ocean. Neither town's schools are considered as good as Yarmouth's and Cumberland's, but they are considered good. Gorham and Scarborough are other alternatives with more of a mix of incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area