Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 PM

89 posts, read 201,849 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start a new thread for this. My husband will be in Portland for the month of September doing a rotation at Maine Medical Center. He is trying to get a good feel for Maine to see if we would want to spend his residency years up there. Is there anything he shouldn't miss? What is the weather like in September? He will be coming from southern CA so he will be a little wimpy weather-wise, but he grew up in Michigan so the weather won't be a stumbling block in the long run.

He likes fly-fishing, white water kayaking, hiking, scuba diving, cheap restaurants with good atmosphere, and photography.

He doesn't care for having alot of people around, nightlife, or meat (he's a vegetarian).

Thank you so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
I thought I would start a new thread for this. My husband will be in Portland for the month of September doing a rotation at Maine Medical Center. He is trying to get a good feel for Maine to see if we would want to spend his residency years up there. Is there anything he shouldn't miss? What is the weather like in September? He will be coming from southern CA so he will be a little wimpy weather-wise, but he grew up in Michigan so the weather won't be a stumbling block in the long run.

He likes fly-fishing, white water kayaking, hiking, scuba diving, cheap restaurants with good atmosphere, and photography.

He doesn't care for having alot of people around, nightlife, or meat (he's a vegetarian).
Thank you so much for your input!
I guess the five pound steak challenge at Mac's Grill in Auburn is out then!
There is still some fishing in September but a lot of it closes. The Royal River in Yarmouth stays open late for flyfishing. Not much in the way of white water in the Portland area. He might try ocean kayaking as that's pretty big around here. There are tons of places to hike around the greater Portland area. Pineland Farms in New Gloucester has some trails and Bradbury Mountain State Park in Pownal is popular. There are parks all over tha area. The whole state is great for photography. Portland has a zillion restaurants so he'll have no trouble finding good ones. I don't know much about the scuba scene around here . Some people do it though the water is so cold around here it isn't the most popular water activity. The weather in September is nice. It's usually in the 60's during the day and 40's to high 30's at night. Sometimes it dips into the 20's at night late in the month though it is not the norm.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Most years, September weather in Maine is still quite lovely. Summer can even last well into September some seasons. October begins to turn cool. November can run from cool to downright cold, and by Thanksgiving you can start looking for snow.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 PM

89 posts, read 201,849 times
The day we moved into our house in southern CA, it was 113 degrees and we had no air conditioner, only a swamp cooler. That first winter, we started putting on our fleeces at 65 degrees even though we had just moved from Oregon. I was amazed at how fast we adapted....

I will tell him he needs to bring some sweaters and a jacket. ;]

Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 AM

880 posts, read 2,345,823 times
Try the Green Elephant for great vegetarian food. It is right on Congress St. near High St.

Check out trails.org for a decent map of local Portland trails.

September and October offer some of the best weather for this area. The bugs start to die down, the leaves start to change, the humidity drops, it is comfortable during the day, and nice and cool at night.

Bradbury Mountain is def. worth a visit. Also check out the light houses in So. Portland and Cape Elizabeth.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 PM

141 posts, read 287,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I guess the five pound steak challenge at Mac's Grill in Auburn is out then!
There is still some fishing in September but a lot of it closes. The Royal River in Yarmouth stays open late for flyfishing. Not much in the way of white water in the Portland area. He might try ocean kayaking as that's pretty big around here. There are tons of places to hike around the greater Portland area. Pineland Farms in New Gloucester has some trails and Bradbury Mountain State Park in Pownal is popular. There are parks all over tha area. The whole state is great for photography. Portland has a zillion restaurants so he'll have no trouble finding good ones. I don't know much about the scuba scene around here . Some people do it though the water is so cold around here it isn't the most popular water activity. The weather in September is nice. It's usually in the 60's during the day and 40's to high 30's at night. Sometimes it dips into the 20's at night late in the month though it is not the norm.
tell me more about this steak..lol

Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngar99 View Post
tell me more about this steak..lol
There is a place called Mac's Grill on Minot Ave in Auburn that used to do a steak challenge. I don't even know if they still do it. The deal was they would cook you a 4-5 pound steak and if you could eat the whole thing it was free, if not you paid like $50-$60 or something like that. 99% of people paid!
Even if they don't do the challenge anymore it's a great steakhouse.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 PM

141 posts, read 287,405 times
i wont go offtopic any more, but i in lisbon falls, s i think ill go and get me a free steak some weekend

Old 08-23-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Most years, September weather in Maine is still quite lovely. Summer can even last well into September some seasons. October begins to turn cool. November can run from cool to downright cold, and by Thanksgiving you can start looking for snow.
Yes the weather CAN be nice in September though it can also be cold. We have had to wear a winter coat on numerous occasions to the Cumberland Fair. I've seen snow in September and walked on lake ice by Thanksgiving. It can also be 70 degrees in September so pack accordingly. It should be a forum rule that you need to have lived in Maine for at least 30 years before you can give any definitive climatological advice!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
well according to the weather channel its suppose to be really nice this weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area