Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,494 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Maine next year but we're not sure what town we want to live in. He's an IT and I'm a law student/paralegal. We have two cats and one dog and we need a very pet friendly apt or nice home to rent. We love kennebunk and Falmouth, but are not used to the high prices of NE. (our rent is 1050) and in this area- it's considered extremely high.

Does anyone have any ideas on areas that would be very low in crime- but a nice safe, pretty town to live in?

Thanks !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Also- How is the economy and job situation in Maine? We both are in fields that in normally in demand and available in most cities around the country. We can't commute there to find jobs before hand - but are willing to work temp jobs until something permanent becomes available.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
High prices? $1050 will get you a pretty decent place in much of Southern Maine. My girlfriend and I lived in a nice 2 bedroom in a decent area in Portland for $750 (heat/hw/electric included). We saw some nice 1 and 2br places for under $700 w/o utilities. If you look in Saco, Westbrook or South Portland, rent is less. Falmouth, Scarborough, Yarmouth, Kennebunk, etc are a bit harder to find rentals. Still, you can get a 2 bedroom unit for what you're paying now. Detached single family? Probably not for $1050, but maybe for around $1500. By New England standards, Portland's still relatively affordable as far as rents go.

The job market is "stable" at best. Portland's not a boom/bust town. That means that in good times it's never that great, but in bad times, it's not as bad as other places. Portland's unemployment rate is relatively low, but I don't think that reflects the "ease" of getting work. I wouldn't call Portland a big IT hub at all. It's a small city (63,000 people, about 250,000 in Greater Portland including the suburbs) with a service-based (mainly tourism with peak and off-peak seasons) economy. I would absolutely make sure you have something lined up beforehand. The only decent paying "temp" jobs are generally in the hospitality (restaurants, hotels, etc) business and aren't that easy to find during the off-season (generally November-May).

I understand the draw to Portland, but your situation is one that I saw over and over again when I lived there. Someone loved to visit Portland (it's charming) and decided they wanted to move there full time. They didn't line up a job beforehand on the understanding that they'd just get a temp job until they get something more long-term. The problem is that not only did they never find the long-term job in a reasonable amount of time (or at all), the temp jobs weren't enough to cover cost of living and even those are hard to find. Portland's not expensive, but it is harder than many cities to find a job that will just get you by. I saw this happen again and again. People who came to Portland with super high hopes ended up leaving miserable and frustrated. If you don't have a LOT of money saved up as a back up plan (upwards of $10k for the two of you) or a job to begin with, it's not easy to get by in Portland.

On the other hand, those who do have jobs and have picked Portland, generally enjoy living there. It's a friendly, safe, livable little city. I would absolutely suggest lining something up beforehand because even in your fields, jobs aren't just readily available and given Portland's relatively small economy, when those jobs DO become available, competition will be stiff (and many times go to a local).

Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
I would find a job first and then look for a place to live.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the great advice....we're former military and have moved 15 times in the last 20 yrs- we've gotten lucky most of the time finding work/homes sight unseen- but these are different times and circumstances.

It's hard finding a job when you live 4 states away and cannot travel to interview for jobs.

Irfox- you gave us some great information and it's funny - I told my hubby the same thing you did - and you guessed 10 grand for moving expenses- and that's exactly how much it will cost. (you're good !) )

I grew up in NE but have been away for 25 years... (I lived in RI, ma, and NH- and I remember how expensive it was back then) We really love maine and I really need to be near my family for health related reasons...so it would be great to be able to get back.

You've been such a wonderful help - This info really helps us.

Thanks for all your great advice !

Old 05-26-2010, 05:21 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbabe84 View Post
Thanks for the great advice....we're former military and have moved 15 times in the last 20 yrs- we've gotten lucky most of the time finding work/homes sight unseen- but these are different times and circumstances.
Hmm. 'former military', and you have been re-locating to various regions for a period of 20-years. Are you perhaps drawing a pension from the military?

I served 20-years and I have a pension. Which changes one's outlook on local economies a great deal.

With a pension, you can live in Maine requiring only a part-time income on the side.

Most of Maine enjoys a low Cost-Of-Living and extremely low taxes. Years ago Maine was considered one of the highest taxed states, but that is history.

The average household income in Maine is low, unlike in many other regions, you simply do not require $200k/year to 'fit in' the herd here.

In Maine the average household income raising a family is around $24k/annum. With a pension you already have the majority of that in your pocket, so a part-time job on the side makes you exactly in the middle of the herd.

As a para-legal and an IT geek; it is conceivable that in Maine you will get much lower salaries then you would in the DC beltway. But realistically you don't need much salary to be running with your head above the herd in Maine.

If I am wrong, and your not on pension, then forget everything I said

Welcome to Maine

Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
want to move and open up a small tea shop in or near a college town anyone have an idea. Would like to find a small town.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakettle View Post
want to move and open up a small tea shop in or near a college town anyone have an idea. Would like to find a small town.
That could be really nice in Orono maybe on property on the river. I was a vendor at the Orono Farmer's Market, which is located on UM grounds right on the river bank. We had customers who paddled canoes to the market to get organic produce. It is really a neat community. Our farm is on that same river, the Penobscot River.

A tea shop in that area would be really nice.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM

404 posts, read 778,033 times
I second the Orono suggestion. my daughter will be a freshman at umaine this fall , and noted the town needed a couple more shops. Rents/realestate is pretty reasonable and it's a small town with a college feel and bangor is close by for convienence. Belfast is pretty cool too....but I'd be concerned about frequent business during any thing but the summer. In orono you'd have year around business. Good luck, I hope I see your tea shop there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area