Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times

Advertisements

I've been following the Portland job situation for almost 10 yrs. from here in Boston, condidering a move at times.

Even in good times, PDX and Seattle had unemployment rates well over 7%...and the beat goes on.

Are taxi driving jobs hard to get in Portland? Filled by new immigrants, making it hard for American-born folks to enter -- and content with low wages, just happy for a job?

I'm a long-time Boston cab driver. I work lots of hours in order to survive; I fear it would be even harder to make a buck driving a cab in the Rose City. That new trolley to the airport must be the bane of the taxi industry.

Is a cab driving job actually adequate in your city (a city with high underemployment)?

Anybody know somebody driving a cab in Portland, and their experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:29 AM

157 posts, read 523,559 times
It might not be harder to make a buck once you're in, but it's the getting in that's the hard part. Portland heavily regulates the cab industry. There are only 3-4 cab companies that dominate the market (Broadway, Radio, Green, and one other I forget). There are only so many new cab licenses issued each year. The good is that it keeps drivers and companies paid. The bad, the fares are regulated and are higher than if there was more competition (and not to compete with TRI-MET).

Most cabs are call-ahead but I've seen some cabs stop outside the Convention Center to pick people up. They may have called ahead first, and were just identifying themselves, I don't know. I thought it was illegal to hail in Portland.

If I were to bet, I'd say you'd have a better chance finding a job in shuttles (airport runs, medical, retirement) than finding a cab job.

BTW, the last 3 times I've taken a cab, the driver was a white dude, not an Indian or Somali. Now at 7-11, that's a different story.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
It's been my (albeit limited) experience that cab drivers in Portland do NOT appear to have to speak English, do NOT have to know the area and how to get from A to B, and do NOT have to have a well maintained vehicle. I was appalled the last few times I took a taxi from the airport. It's hard for me to believe that there is ANY regulation or oversight of the cab industry here.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
It's been my (albeit limited) experience that cab drivers in Portland do NOT appear to have to speak English, do NOT have to know the area and how to get from A to B, and do NOT have to have a well maintained vehicle. I was appalled the last few times I took a taxi from the airport. It's hard for me to believe that there is ANY regulation or oversight of the cab industry here.
I don't drive so I take cabs more frequently than most. I hardly ever get a driver who is not from another country although it has happened. There was a newspaper article in the Portland Tribune a couple of months back that talked about the wars between cab and town-car drivers. They are literally fighting for business.

I don't know the regulations for getting into the cab driving business but I would imagine there would be rules and regulations. As in all Portland job areas there is more than likely a tremendous amout of competition. To the OP, why not check with the cab companies first hand?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
I wrote directly to the OP, at least one major company here is owner-operated (Radio Cab). Not sure about the others. I understand it's not all that easy to get in. That could be erroneous.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Thanks for the replies.

Sayulita: too bad about the poor condition of cabs there. In Boston, we now have lots of new clean-air hybrids. It costs the same for passengers vs. Older cabs. One passenger specifically walked up to my cab last night though fourth in line for a nice $29 fare...all b/c it was a nice hybrid. I pay more to rent it but save on gas, so I may come out ahead vs. Crown Vic cabs -- and the A/C works, even has a vent in back for the riders.

Maybe 15%-20% of Boston cabs are hybrid. I don't seem to see any/many in NYC when I see the traffic in the background on the "Today Show." Supposedly Denver was the 1st U.S. city to have an entire fleet hybrid?

With all the emphasis on environment in PDX, you'd think you could boast of hybrid cabs! Disappointing, but they're $$ to buy.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Unlike other cities, you can go days without seeing a cab here - they are not common at all. Downtown has a very extensive (and free) transit transit system (and is not big enough to really be cab-sized anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: