Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times

Advertisements

My family and I were just in the NW Nob Hill neighborhood and enjoy many aspects of it, though as native San Franciscans, we sure do get a laugh at the "Union Street (Cow Hollow to old timers) type people it attracts. It is a very pretty area but we are sooooo glad that we chose the NE neighborhood that we did. Your neighbors sound extreme...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 17,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
man, I'm all for recycling, but I can't abide by snobby! And to have people tell me which clothes I should be wearing and where to buy my groceries? -- that's just too much. What is this, middle school?
It's kind of like the old adage: "When in Spain. . ." to an extent, people have to conform to their surroundings in order to maintain "order". Anything out of "order" is not accommodated very well--non-conformity is for the firm-willed, and for those willing to pay the price, and that price is non-articulation. We all want to belong, to some extent--to be part of a community. The challenge is finding the "right" community for our particular needs. Middle school continues, and continues, and continues....

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
Nonsense! People should be free to live whichever lifestyle they choose regardless of the neighborhood. Middle School sucked, let's not allow it to linger any longer than it must.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
Nonsense! People should be free to live whichever lifestyle they choose regardless of the neighborhood. Middle School sucked, let's not allow it to linger any longer than it must.

I agree--middle school sucked, and the mind-set of middle school that goes along with it, and I'm not saying I agree with the reality of the situation, I'm just saying that it is what it "is". For the most part reality, in general, sucks--long live the dreamers!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
My family and I were just in the NW Nob Hill neighborhood and enjoy many aspects of it, though as native San Franciscans, we sure do get a laugh at the "Union Street (Cow Hollow to old timers) type people it attracts. It is a very pretty area but we are sooooo glad that we chose the NE neighborhood that we did. Your neighbors sound extreme...

They aren't as extreme as I would like to believe they are. This is actually the second landlord I have rented from (within the last five years) in near proximity (within a couple of blocks of each other) who have behaved in a strikingly similar manner. I do believe it is the area. I'm glad you chose your NE neighborhood, too (Laurelhusrt, maybe, or somewhere equally as nice, I hope).

Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Yes, we are very near Laurelhurst and we love the area. My kids love living here so that makes me happy, even when the skies are gray. We know how often that is. I will admit to having some nosy, odd neighbors, though. Really odd. For the most part, my neighbors are pretty respectful of their surroundings but my nosy neighbor sounds like she should meet your rude landlord. HA! Wish you luck in your next living situation.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM

95 posts, read 211,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
Btheferret, I haven't read the whole thread but I'm glad for you that you found out about that neighbor before you signed a lease! While making a statement is all good and well, living next to someone like that would be unpleasant. I've always had the impression that Lake Oswego was the most conservative town in the whole PDX area. Have you considered SE Portland? Mt Tabor?

I did see a gorgeous house in Mt Tabor area. I would have signed if it were just the husband and I. But the way the streets are laid out in the area, I could not envision how in the world my kids would be able to walk home from the bus stop. Or, for that matter, where/how the bus would even stop at all! The streets are the size of sidewalks and the "sidewalk" is unheard of. What do the kids do around there? Walk in the street like the kids walking home in Jamaica? It just gave me a quick flash of what *could* happen to the babies, and I decided against it.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btheferrett View Post
I forgot to check the blog today, so apologies for my lateness. Too many answers to quote every single poster, so I will just list answers:

1. Not offended by "half-breed", not me, don't really get offended. Kind of have not heard that term in quite a few years, though....since the famous Cher song...what...36 years ago? Maybe the poster is just from my generation or older. But I do think if that were said to the wrong person, it might sting a little.
Yeah, this old racist white battle-ax of a warted crone's children thought it was outrageous that I would be accused of being racist for calling half-breeds "half-breed". I've decided I'll use whatever term I please, because I refuse to be intimidated by people who clearly care only for calling me out due to their own personal agenda. Oh, add stubborn to that list.

btheferrett you're going to do just fine in Portland. There are a lot of places to be scared. Portland isn't one of them. But you've already discovered that.

As for "thicker skin", Sarcastic_Twit, I take your point well but it's not thicker skin that's needed... it's a nicer heart and not mine. I already have one. I don't go around choosing people off (another old fart term from the 60's-70's) because they are different than me. But I find that a few people have jumped down my throat and I sense a political agenda since I am openly liberal. So my hat is off to you, Sarcastic_Twit, because you are far more courteous and congenial than many of your counterparts.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Hopefully OP has a salary that can support her family.

I would be more worried about the fact the husband has no job rather than race relations. Her cost of living is most likely going to increase as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland