Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
(82nd street is just a simple bus ride down from a homeless "Bush-Cheney Homeless Shanty Town" not far from the airport.
You should really read up on the history of "Dignity Village".
It had absolutely nothing to do with Bush-Cheney except for the time frame of it's inception.
It was a totally liberal/Progressive Portland City government creation.
It sits on what I believe to be a Portland city owned leaf disposal site, and if I remember correctly, was paid for with taxpayer money.
The "homeless" protested for weeks outside city hall before our backbone lacking local government caved in to their demands, and gave them everything they wanted.
Anywhere else they would have said leave if you don't like it here. But not Portland.
It was quite controversial back then, but it's not in the news much anymore.
Lots of the "homeless" that live there have been there for years.

It should be called the "Eric Sten Shanty town".

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-16-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It had absolutely nothing to do with Bush-Cheney except for the time frame of it's inception. .....
Well, as a self proclaimed flaming liberal, ALL evils in the world are the fault of Bush-Cheney.
I know, because I watch outtakes form MSNBC cable on my computer. I can even give links so you can watch the Rachel Maddow show on your home computer....

See, this is a take on the old "Hoover-villes" hobo camps of around 1931, 1932.....

Forgive me my progressive bias on this subject, but I don't think of 82nd street as the most crime ridden section of Portland. I have not found it to be so. It does have a lot higher percentage of Asians, Hispanics, and (lately) other non-whites moving into the inexpensive housing. But that doesn't automatically equate higher crime. It does equate lower cost housing with lower income households, and thus maybe (back to the OP question) not the most desirable for a Portland Newbie to consider, unless housing cost is a critical concern.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Forgive me my progressive bias on this subject, but I don't think of 82nd street as the most crime ridden section of Portland. I have not found it to be so. It does have a lot higher percentage of Asians, Hispanics, and (lately) other non-whites moving into the inexpensive housing. But that doesn't automatically equate higher crime. It does equate lower cost housing with lower income households, and thus maybe (back to the OP question) not the most desirable for a Portland Newbie to consider, unless housing cost is a critical concern.
This is exactly true. If you live in this area and own a car, other than the normal crap that happens you are somewhat insulated from the nasty things that may occur in this area.
However, if you rely on public transit, and have to spend time on foot getting around, a good grasp of "street smarts" helps out quite a bit to keep you out of trouble.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM

252 posts, read 953,462 times
The area around Mt. Hood Community College is perfectly safe. It is not urban at all and not suited to walking anywhere. It is mostly single family homes/neighborhoods. There are some apartments and condos right by the college but as far as night life or walking/urban lifestyle there is zip. Troutdale, Fairview, Gresham and SE Portland are all very similar neighborhoods. Lower income and older houses in most areas than Beaverton, West Linn and Lake Oswego. There are newer neighborhoods too. Commuting to MHCC from anywhere east of the Willamette River won't be a problem. If you have to cross the river especially if you move to Beaverton you are going to end up with a long commute. There are also really nice new neighborhoods like Fisher's Landing in Vancouver WA that are fairly easy to commute to MHCC.

The closest urban/loft/hip walking nightlife type neighborhood to MHCC is going to be the Hawthorne District.

There are serious problems in Rockwood and along Powell Blvd in Portland (Powell in Gresham has some nice apts) and on Burnside with low income apartments and 82nd Ave does have loads of prostitution and crime. Am I afraid to drive down 82nd? nope but no way would I live there either and use public transit or walk around. There is one motel right off Stark and the 205 that hookers use but otherwise the Mall 205 area is not a crime hotspot.

Unlike some of the previous posters, I have lived in the area of Portland between SE 72nd and MHCC for 25 years (several locations) and have also worked right on 82nd at Burnside and in the area of 122nd and Division, 136th and Powell and 162nd and Division.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
I would recommend not living in outer SE Portland. I made the mistake of doing this right after I graduated college because I was looking for a cheap apartment, and it definitely was cheap but somewhat unsafe. I lived on 125th and Powell and it seemed okay at first (I was happy because we got a two bedroom for only $625 per month) but things quickly went downhill. My roommate was mugged while he was walking back to our apartment from the bus stop across the street, our neighbors were burglarized (this was on the third floor of the apartment complex), and there were numerous domestic disputes. One night I came home from work to find police taking a battering ram to the door of a Samoan family in the complex who were apparently housing like 10 people in a one bedroom apartment and busted on drug charges. On the plus side, I got to see an episode of "Cops" being filmed in the parking lot of the bar next door (which conveniently opened at 9 am!). As you go up in street number or towards Burnside, things get even sketchier until you get to Gresham, which seems okay. Stay away....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland