Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Since when is legality a pre-requisite for acceptability? Smokers are social pariahs and deserve to be. If it bothers you to hear smokers slammed, deal with it, you are one. Or quit. It's your choice. The 'back off' argument just doesn't hold up. When you are ready to sell your house you will know firsthand why it was a bad idea to smoke in it. Until then, rock on. Whether or not non-smokers have "sins" is really a stretch unless you can prove that a majority of smokers have no other sins besides being smokers. Somehow I doubt that there isn't somewhere out there an adulterous smoker. I am not sure why you have searched for this thread to take the fight to non-smokers in this fashion. Do you really, in your heart of hearts think a habit like smoking is defensible? Do you condone drinkers who drive? Sorry misty, your arguments are churlish and weak. I think you want to quit this nasty and unhealthy practice of smoking. I suggest you don't spend another day defending smoking or smokers and get on the path to recovery

H
I searched on this thread as it's suggested by the forum so as to not duplicate threads. Sorry it ended up in your forum, but maybe not, as you seem to have an opinion you deem worthy of posting.

Houses are not selling here anyway, and what makes you think a smoker won't buy it, in the unlikely event it would sell? When I bought it it smelled like dog pee, but ONLY after they washed the carpets. Did I complain? No, I just let my own little darlings ruin the rest of it.

Having said this, the handyman is on my case constantly to not smoke in my house (he is a smoker) as he doesn't want "his floors' to smell like smoke. I'm ripping up all the carpet and replacing it with laminate. All it will take is a fresh coat of paint and airing it out to get rid of the smell.

And you're right, I'm sick of being a smoker (as I sit here in my house smoking). I bought the patch, but you rabid anti-smokers must realize this habit is harder to kick than heroin. BTW, I did quit for 15 years and was NEVER this hard on smokers - and reformed smokers are supposed to be the most harsh. It's an a.d.d.i.c.t.i.o.n. I'm not a criminal. I'm not a drug addict. I pay my taxes. I don't get DUIs. I just happen to smoke, which is LEGAL. Oh, and btw, the biggest and most rabid anti-smoker I know slept with someone else's husband for seven years. Google on the ten commandments. I won't even mess with someone else's BF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And you're right, I'm sick of being a smoker (as I sit here in my house smoking). I bought the patch, but you rabid anti-smokers must realize this habit is harder to kick than heroin. BTW, I did quit for 15 years and was NEVER this hard on smokers - and reformed smokers are supposed to be the most harsh. It's an a.d.d.i.c.t.i.o.n. I'm not a criminal. I'm not a drug addict. I pay my taxes. I don't get DUIs. I just happen to smoke, which is LEGAL.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
One good reason not to smoke in your house is because after years of smoking the odor can get into the walls and rugs and remain there. I actually had to move out of an apartment after living there for only a month because the woman who lived there for 8 years prior to my moving in smoked and the odor clung to the walls and rugs.

I am so intolerant (my body not me) to cigarette smoke I began getting serious asthma attacks just because of that. Okay, so that was my problem, I didn't blame the previous tenant or the landlord but it was pretty inconvenient to have to move again in so short a time.

That is why my present landlord no longer rents to smokers. Those who were already living in the complex after he made the rule are "grandfathered" in so they will not be asked to stop smoking or move but they do have to take it outside.

With your house, you should want to be careful because if you want to sell it someday it may be more difficult if the odor of cigarettes is lingering around.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One good reason not to smoke in your house is because after years of smoking the odor can get into the walls and rugs and remain there. I actually had to move out of an apartment after living there for only a month because the woman who lived there for 8 years prior to my moving in smoked and the odor clung to the walls and rugs.

I am so intolerant (my body not me) to cigarette smoke I began getting serious asthma attacks just because of that. Okay, so that was my problem, I didn't blame the previous tenant or the landlord but it was pretty inconvenient to have to move again in so short a time.

That is why my present landlord no longer rents to smokers. Those who were already living in the complex after he made the rule are "grandfathered" in so they will not be asked to stop smoking or move but they do have to take it outside.

With your house, you should want to be careful because if you want to sell it someday it may be more difficult if the odor of cigarettes is lingering around.
Agreed, Minervah, but like I said, I am having all the carpet removed and paint is even worse than smoke. I respect your right (really) to live in a smoke free environment. I also respect my right to smoke in my own house. I'll deal with the consequences. BTW, last one (house that I sold) sold in one week.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
True, nicotine is a drug and addiction. It's LEGAL. So sue me. I could be cheating with someone else's SO, yet I still have morals above that. Can you say the same? I don't lie (unless a white lie), I don't steal, I volunteer at two places a week. I am sooooooooooooooo sick of being bashed for smoking.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Misty, you appear to have issues with fidelity... and smoking. They are unrelated. Smoking is not a moral issue. Smokers are not immoral, non-smokers are not immoral, unless they are... immoral. Your not being an adulterer (Yet. Never say never) does not make your smoking any more or less acceptable to those you might encounter in life. Some really gosh darn nice people smoke. I know a few. Adultery is LEGAL btw. Immoral, but LEGAL. Except maybe in Utah and a very few other states you will never want to visit.

H

Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Misty, you appear to have issues with fidelity... and smoking. They are unrelated. Smoking is not a moral issue. Smokers are not immoral, non-smokers are not immoral, unless they are... immoral. Your not being an adulterer (Yet. Never say never) does not make your smoking any more or less acceptable to those you might encounter in life. Some really gosh darn nice people smoke. I know a few. Adultery is LEGAL btw. Immoral, but LEGAL. Except maybe in Utah and a very few other states you will never want to visit.

H
You are right about that! I'd never want to visit Utah. I prefer my destinations BLUE.

I do have issues with fidelity (I mean other people who cheat with other people's spouses) but I do not worry about that in my lifetime, as I wouldn't even mess with someone else's BF. I didn't realize adultery was legal, news to me. It ain't in the 10 Commandments, however. And you're right, smoking is not a moral issue unless one has (had) a friend who says smokers are of lower consciousness (then it does become a moral issue).

I'd been noticing lately that my neighbor seems awfully happy. Big smiles and she told me she's getting divorced. Yesterday I found out she has a BF and rumor has it that it had been going on for a long time. Her husband is crushed and devastated. Poor guy.

If someone is that unhappy, please get the divorce FIRST.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Quote:

H
I agree. What has smoking got to do with sinning & being immoral? That makes no sense to me.
The truth is, when a person first lights up their first cigarette they know they're taking up an activity that is highly addictive, could very well ruin their health and the smell of which is offensive. That's why so many of us decided NOT to take up smoking. You made that decision to smoke so you need to deal with its consequences - not the non-smokers.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I honestly do not want to live to an old age, having witnessed my parents' experiences.
I'm sorry your folks died of Alzheimers. It's a horrible disease.
But if you think dying young from lung cancer or heart disease is going to be short and sweet you're kidding yourself. They can be horrible, lingering deaths. Not exactly a good quality of life.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM

36 posts, read 95,785 times
Quote:
Since when is legality a pre-requisite for acceptability? Smokers are social pariahs and deserve to be. If it bothers you to hear smokers slammed, deal with it, you are one. Or quit. It's your choice. The 'back off' argument just doesn't hold up. When you are ready to sell your house you will know firsthand why it was a bad idea to smoke in it. Until then, rock on. Whether or not non-smokers have "sins" is really a stretch unless you can prove that a majority of smokers have no other sins besides being smokers. Somehow I doubt that there isn't somewhere out there an adulterous smoker. I am not sure why you have searched for this thread to take the fight to non-smokers in this fashion. Do you really, in your heart of hearts think a habit like smoking is defensible? Do you condone drinkers who drive? Sorry misty, your arguments are churlish and weak. I think you want to quit this nasty and unhealthy practice of smoking. I suggest you don't spend another day defending smoking or smokers and get on the path to recovery

H
Could you have your head any farther up your own ass? :/
I've never once on this forum seen any one be so pompous.

I'm sorry smokers don't live up to YOUR standards... So I guess they should all be confined to an island. Or better yet, CAMPS! Smoker's camps. That would make our world a better place, since they OBVIOUSLY cannot function in society. They are obviously terrible, terrible murderers!

And btw. My boyfriend smokes. I have never seen him put a butt on the floor. Hell, 90% of the time I've ever seen him head towards the trash can, he picks up ever piece of litter/cigarette butts he sees on the way there. (I tend to carry hand sanitizer for this reason, cos it tends to freak me out. xD) Hell, I've seen him take an hour, and clean up a park. Not for any particular reason, just because he doesn't like trash everywhere. He does care about the world. And if smoking, automatically cancels that out, and makes him a terrible person.. then you know what. I'd be a terrible person any day. Who needs to live up to YOUR standards? :/

In the end. He can still smoke, he'll try and keep out of the way and you can choose to walk around him, or just suck it up. Literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland