Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,500 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to hijack the other person's thread so I thought I'd make my own. When Portland was a more distant future, I did research, and thought Troutdale was good for my family, but upon doing more research about it now, I'm thinking about keeping my options more open, since I hear it's near SE Portland, and I also hear SE Portland isn't that great, and kind of troublesome.

Basic info about us.

Family of four. My wife and I are 31 and 33. My daughters are 2, and 7. We were originally from Upstate NY, but moved back to Los Angeles, to be with my mom who was dying of cancer. She passed away October 21st of this year, so now Portland is in our horizons, much closer than before. We are letting my daughter finish her school year first, so we'll be moving Summer 2011.

We plan to rent for a few years, until we figure out where exactly we want to live...BUT we're hoping to do enough research so that hopefully where we first land is where we end up living, because we are tired of taking my daughter out of schools so much, we're like a military family lately with how much we've moved.

We are pretty liberal, but not hardcore. We lie in the middle. Lets just say I vote for whomever I believe is best, not blindly based on party. Beliefs wise we are the same as well.

I am looking for somewhere I can send my daughters for a good education that I don't have to pay for. New York had wonderful public schools, and we've grown accustomed to them, and HATE paying for private school education here in CA, since we aren't catholic, and it's so much money.

I am an AVID outdoorsman, and my family is too, but to a lesser degree. Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Road Biking, Snowboarding, etc...I love the great outdoors, which is what made Upstate NY mecca for me, and makes me hate CA so much. So that's why Portland was a good choice, because the city is big enough for work, while still being really close to nature and wilderness. I like that the city is there for dining and activities, while being able to enjoy what I love as much as possible.

We don't want to live IN the city. We want to rent a home, or condo/townhouse, with space for my kids to play. We are used to having a large amount of room for the kids to play outside. It's not necessary to live on an acre like we did in NY, but just have enough room for them to play outside.

Of course we want to live somewhere safe, and secure. Suburbs, rural, whatever as long as its close enough to portland. COmmuting I'm open to. I can bike or take public transport, or drive, I use whatever is best for the situation. A neighborhood with friendly people that get to know each other. I want a community that I also don't need to leave to get basic necessities. I want some place where I can get my basic needs without driving into the city. That was the one negative thing about living in the country in NY...having to drive 30 minutes just to make it to a market for our weekly groceries, or ANYTHING actually. I dont mind it, but prefer otherwise if I had a choice.

Sorry for the long winded posts, but I know you guys like details.

I also am a jack of all trades. But my main job has always been in Accounting, and it seems theres a lot of those jobs there. But I moved to NY to be apprentice under a winery, and have 3 years experience doing it. I've also been a pest technician, waiter, bagger/cashier, real estate appraiser, bouncer, LOL everything, in my years as second/supplementary jobs as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM

254 posts, read 653,272 times
I live in the NE by Troutdale. I assume you mean NE..

I think it's a good choice given your circumstances. It is closest to the outdoors and that can make a big difference if you like to do stuff after work. Mt. Hood, the Clackamas river, the gorge, and if you make it east of Hood these are the wilderness areas. For the other aspect, it is right by the best Walmart and you avoid the traffic that lies between I-84 to 205 and 205 south (and I5 north or south).

I'm not sure about the schools. I don't see this bad neighborhood aspect. It's not like your on felony flats. Unless I'm confused.. you say Troutdale but that's in the NE by I-84 right? It's really a gem by the Sandy river.

Here's Gresham/troutdale going towards Sandy river: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/...5e3e95.jpg?v=0

Last edited by Ryant; 12-10-2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
When the USS Ranger gets moved to Fairview (as a museum ship,) I'm willing to bet that Troutdale is going to change for the better. It's going to get a lot more tourist and convention business.

The only hesitation I would have is that the plants across the river in Camas used to spout a lovely odor quite frequently. I have not lived in the area for quite some time, and have not smelled it on any of my numerous trips through there lately.... so hopefully it's been fixed.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:45 PM

254 posts, read 653,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The only hesitation I would have is that the plants across the river in Camas used to spout a lovely odor quite frequently. I have not lived in the area for quite some time, and have not smelled it on any of my numerous trips through there lately.... so hopefully it's been fixed.
I think it's a paper mill right? The building on the washington side of the columbia river. It's kind of iconic. The last one in Portland I suppose.

Edit: I checked out the window and it's still steaming away.

Last edited by Ryant; 12-10-2010 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Okay so it IS still a good option? Is it more of a bedroom community (i dont mind that) I just saw a few posts talking about the downfalls of troutdale, and they mentioned it being by SE portland, but they are obviously wrong, since it IS NE, so I don't know.

Maybe the people I was reading were confused.

I plan to make 2 or 3 visits up starting in Jan/Feb to scout the area, but just wanted a solid list of places to check out while there, so I don't waste time driving around neighborhoods that wouldnt be a good fit.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
If you have had experience with wineries why not live where that employment is an option?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 PM

because wineries dont pay much, and when I did it, it was a second job. I worked for Cornell University as my "day job" and worked the winery n ights and weekends.

Winery work alone doesnt pay much, so thats why Portland would have more of the jobs that I have much more experience in that can earn a good wage..at least until we get settled and figure out the rest of our lives. We are also foodies and though we hate living in cities, love exploring new cities, as well as being close to art and music...Ithaca was like that..and I hear Portland is like that as well, so I rather be close to Portland, than Corvallis.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:33 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,482,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
....Winery work alone doesnt pay much, so thats why Portland would have more of the jobs that I have much more experience in that can earn a good wage..at least until we get settled and figure out the rest of our lives. We are also foodies and though we hate living in cities, love exploring new cities, as well as being close to art and music...Ithaca was like that..and I hear Portland is like that as well, so I rather be close to Portland, than Corvallis.
Troutdale is not all that close to Portland, as far as Portland's normal (nominal?) attitudes of distance goes. Portland is not a place of urban sprawl. I haven't found the white flight to suburbs as strong a force in Portland in my 16 months here as it is back east. Besides, commuting to downtown on I-84 from Troutdale will be exasperating plus parking downtown is expensive .

But, Just asking.....

Your previous post indicates your are looking for a medium sized urban city amenities and amusements...
In addition, Troutdale is still in the high property taxes of Multnomah County...
So, why Troutdale?

Of your points in the 1st post of this thread, I could understand somewhat understand Troutdale,
but the being commuting distance to downtown Portland I don't understand.
Let me put it another way... 80% of the land mass that makes up the City of Portland is middle class single family detached homes on a plot of land; safe neighborhoods, car friendly, and mostly good mass transit access if you want to save on gas money. (not so true in Troutdale due to the distance.)

Have you looked south along I-5 at Tigard, Durnham, or Tualatan? These 'burb communities have lower taxes. Everything Troutdale has as far as housing and good schools.

From just what you have posted, however, I would peg your family would be better suited to Multnomah Village, which is a neighborhood in the city of Portland; known for being "crunchy", eclectic, outdoorsy, and commuting distance to downtown Portland. Portland city taxes, but the neighborhood schools are fiercely competitive from what I have heard.

Don't get me wrong, Troutdale is a good place, but as an accountant I am suggesting you look to the SW side of Portland, especially if you are going to be working downtown.

YMMV

Phil

Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Personally, I'd look to Clackamas County. I wouldn't want to commute into town from either Tigard direction or Troudale. From Clackamas County, it's not so bad. And it'd be as close to mountain activities, just further south from Troutdale.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
I understand that wineries are not a hig wage (family wage?) employer. But you will need A job. Were your my son I would suggest you locate where there were the max employment options. I just don't see Troutdale on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland