Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 39,278 times

Advertisements

My gf and I were in Portland this past week, coming up I-5 on Friday afternoon. Traffic was bad, but not quite as bad as California traffic (where we currently reside), but still something we want to avoid.

We liked a few areas outside Portland, namely West Linn, LO, and Wilsonville, but jobs in the city would take forever to get to, I think. Using transit didn't seem much better (according to the max website times).

Questions are: how bad is traffic really? We came at absolute worst time, Friday afternoon. And secondly, is traffic a lot better coming down I-5 from WA area to Portland than coming up from below Portland?

thanks. We just are weary of heavy california traffic and would like to avoid it if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 02:04 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
I don't know exactly how bad traffic is as I live downtown, but it can be pretty bad--I can see it from my house and it's sometimes completely at a standstill. It's definitely NOT better coming from Washington though!

As for the post above, I'm responding mainly to say that my son has horseback riding lessons every Saturday in Wilsonville. I live in downtown Portland and it takes me a MINIMUM of 20 minutes to get there with zero traffic, on a weekend, and living right off of the freeway entrance. So the 15-20 minute time frame is not accurate in terms of a commute.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:11 PM

59 posts, read 227,901 times
Portland metro area is not and was not designed for large volumes of traffic. Local governments are way behind the curve. Although nothing like California traffic, because Portland is so compressed there are many traffic bottlenecks. Wilsonville is not that close, and during heavy traffic turns into a very long commute. You don't need a sales pitch telling you differently, that's for sure.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 39,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I don't know exactly how bad traffic is as I live downtown, but it can be pretty bad--I can see it from my house and it's sometimes completely at a standstill. It's definitely NOT better coming from Washington though!

As for the post above, I'm responding mainly to say that my son has horseback riding lessons every Saturday in Wilsonville. I live in downtown Portland and it takes me a MINIMUM of 20 minutes to get there with zero traffic, on a weekend, and living right off of the freeway entrance. So the 15-20 minute time frame is not accurate in terms of a commute.

thanks. Yah Even I, simply a frequent visitor to oregon, know that it's not 15 minutes from Wilsonville to Portland with traffic. Anything under 40 minutes would be good, considering where I'm coming from (Sacramento)

Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
It depends on what neighborhood and what shortcut. I know routes that cut a lot of time off.

I still avoid rush hour, working 6 to 7 hour days to keep my trailer out of heavy trafffic.

That's the nice thing about self employement. Work hard to squeeze 8 hours into 6 hours.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM

47 posts, read 215,116 times
Coming from California, you may be assuming that you will have to drive to work.

Depending on where you live & work, you have the possibilities of riding MAX and/or biking to work. I ride the MAX train every day and the beauty of light rail is that it is generally unaffected by traffic. Your commute time is exactly the same every day & you can read a book or (if you get a seat) take a nap.

No parking and no gas tanks to fill are also bonuses.

Yes, there's downsides like crowding and people who smell bad but its a small price to pay IMO.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 AM

91 posts, read 436,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Portland metro area is not and was not designed for large volumes of traffic. Local governments are way behind the curve. Although nothing like California traffic, because Portland is so compressed there are many traffic bottlenecks. Wilsonville is not that close, and during heavy traffic turns into a very long commute. You don't need a sales pitch telling you differently, that's for sure.
I thought there was some talks about a bus or rail system from Wilsonville to Beaverton? Does anyone know?
Thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 PM

30 posts, read 161,123 times
You can thank the free loving hippies for blocking the construction of freeways and creating the traffic problem in Portland

Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplwh View Post
I thought there was some talks about a bus or rail system from Wilsonville to Beaverton? Does anyone know?
Thanks.
It's a light rail system, and it's just getting started - as well as the one down I-205.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortaz View Post
You can thank the free loving hippies for blocking the construction of freeways and creating the traffic problem in Portland
Yes, because more freeways solve EVERYTHING. Much like Seattle, the available space for freeways is limited. There are several places in which a lane or two can be added, but without ripping up neighborhoods and smaller cities, there isn't anywhere for a new freeway to GO in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland