Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM

39 posts, read 58,413 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I want to pop the the question to my girlfriend and I'm looking for nice hotels/restaurants downtown. I'm looking for a very nice, safe walkable area with some decently nice restaurants.

It would be nice to have a river view?!?! I think.

I have been told The Benson, Riverplace Hotel, Marriot Riverplace?

I want to really be in a nice area to get to walk around and get the feel of downtown PDX. We both like more modern, big/suite type rooms.

All opinions and ideas welcome. Please give specific sides/view of hotels you recommend.

My budget is up to 200.00 per night but after checking some rates, 120- 150 seems to get a good room now-a-days.

Thank you for all your help in advance!

Last edited by atjl72; 02-11-2011 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Just Because
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
Although I've never stayed at the hotel, I have eaten at the Heathman restaurant many times. I highly recommend it. French influenced, beautifully presented delicious food. The hotel looks very elegant and is often used by celebrities. It's right downtown and in the middle of everything. You could propose, celebrate her acceptance with as much wine as you want and then take the elevator to your room.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM

600 posts, read 1,469,028 times
If you want something nice, romantic, walkable area and view I would go with either the Benson hotel (which houses El Gaucho and the London Grill...YUM! Presidents stay here when they come to town) Riverplace hotel or The Nines. The Marriott on the river is old and isnt that great a hotel anymore, compared to the others listed. Hotel Lucia and the Vintage Plaza are a couple others that are nice too.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Although I've never stayed at the hotel, I have eaten at the Heathman restaurant many times. I highly recommend it. French influenced, beautifully presented delicious food. The hotel looks very elegant and is often used by celebrities. It's right downtown and in the middle of everything. You could propose, celebrate her acceptance with as much wine as you want and then take the elevator to your room.
It is a great hotel and a great location. However, I've been to the restaurant twice in the past 18 months. We were anything but impressed by the service and food each time. Neither were any of our dinner companions.

I wonder if the restaurant has just gone downhill in recent years because it was recommended by people that have been going there for a long time. I am not a super picky foodie or anything. I don't complain at nit picky things. But when it takes 10 minutes to flag down our waitress to let her know my fish was so dried out it was like shoe leather, I have issues with it. The other five people at our table liked their meals, but also said it was nothing special.

Also, my wife had ordered a glass of a house wine ($8 - $12 range). The waitress informed us that they were out of it and suggested a substitute. It wasn't until we got the bill that we discovered the suggested wine was $28 a glass. The price isn't the issue. The way it was handled is what was wrong.

Anyway, I understand that mistakes can happen and not every visit can be a home run. We went back a second time hoping that the first was just an aberration. It wasn't. From the first few pages of reviews, it seems like we aren't the only ones with a negative opinion of the Heathman's restaurant:

The Heathman Restaurant - Portland, OR, 97205 - Citysearch

Of course this doesn't mean the OP can't go there and have a wonderful time.

To the OP, "Three Degrees" is the restaurant / bar at the Riverplace Hotel. We've gone there quite a few times for drinks. Its very nice and right on the water. Depending on the time of year, there's outdoor seating. I would definitely recommend it for drinks. I haven't eaten there so I can't comment on the food.

Portland Restaurant - Three Degrees Waterfront Bar & Grill

The restaurant at "The Nines" was good. If you like a NYC hip / trendy type hotel, it may be a good suggestion.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM

600 posts, read 1,469,028 times
I agree with LC...the food at the Heathman (other than breakfast/brunch) is sub par. The food at Three Degrees was alright, nothing to rave about. The place (restaurant) seems a little dated - both decor and server wise. The Nines has a couple different restaurants. Departure has a great view and the food is good but its small plate style and the crowd can make it seem like a pick up joint sometimes. I think this has something to do with the bar being in the middle of the main dining room. If you had outdoor seating then I think you would be ok, and the outdoor deck is amazing. The other restaurant there (Urban Farmer) I have heard mixed reviews on.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
I would use Trip Advisor for reviews and Yelp Portland for restaurant reviews. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
The Nines has a couple different restaurants. Departure has a great view and the food is good but its small plate style and the crowd can make it seem like a pick up joint sometimes. I think this has something to do with the bar being in the middle of the main dining room. If you had outdoor seating then I think you would be ok, and the outdoor deck is amazing. The other restaurant there (Urban Farmer) I have heard mixed reviews on.
Departure is the restaurant I was refering to in The Nines. I wasn't aware there was another restaurant there. I get what you are saying about the pick up joint feel. The overall feel of the hotel is just not something that appeals to me anymore. I worked in NYC for a few years and I got burned out on hip-trendy-chic. It just doesn't feel very "Portland" to me.

We've found quite a few good restaurants in the Willamette Week restaurant reviews:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/flex-2...uide_2010.html

http://issuu.com/wweek/docs/restaurant_guide_2010/20

Last edited by LeftCoastee; 02-11-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
I think you'd be happiest at one of the hotels right downtown. There are many to choose from. Downside is you won't have a river view, unless you're very high up and on the east side of the building. Toughest part of recommending is ... I live here. I don't stay at the hotels. But some I think are better choices are:The only riverfront hotel directly in the downtown area is
  • Hotel Fifty (http://www.hotelfifty.com/accommodations_guest_rooms.php - broken link)--I'm not sure about it the word on it. It's a recent sale & remodel, but haven't heard much about it since.
And it doesn't open until May (not sure of your dates), but McMenamin's is opening a new hotel downtown. They're always a good choice.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The only riverfront hotel directly in the downtown area is
  • Hotel Fifty (http://www.hotelfifty.com/accommodations_guest_rooms.php - broken link)--I'm not sure about it the word on it. It's a recent sale & remodel, but haven't heard much about it since.
It's nice is what I've heard from one friend. I too don't have any suggestions for it. Although I think the Marriott has a good River view. Ironically, you're better off asking for a view of the mountains in my opinion. The river view isn't that great or interesting enough to look at for long.

As for food: -An Exploration of Portland Oregon Food and Drink

Not the end all for Portland Food, but a good first resource. The Hotel Concierge will be able to tell you the better places near your specific hotel. The best I can do is list off some of my favorites.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The only riverfront hotel directly in the downtown area is
Wouldn't the Riverplace Hotel be considered directly in the downtown area? I've lived here less than two years and I don't begin to understand the neighborhood cutoffs, close-in, etc. terminology.

The Riverplace Hotel looks very nice from the lobby. You couldn't be closer to the river without being on a boat. Since its at Riverplace, its a block or two from the streetcar free rail zone.

Mountain views during the day are nice (assuming the weather cooperates), but being near the river at night is very nice with all the lights being reflected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland