Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 PM

36 posts, read 55,188 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in Portland starting in a month as a long term contract engineer and I will be working in the Lloyd District. I am moving with my GF who will be in school full time for grad studies, but plans to work as well. We are currently living in Louisville, KY, so this is a major move and I could use some advice.

I would love to live in Nob Hill/NW and live day to day w/o a car, feasible/smart?

I was also looking for advice for the best way to move, U-Haul, Paid movers, POD? Not sure what makes the most sense, we are currently in a small 1-BR so we don't have that much stuff, but definitely wouldn't all fit in a sedan / pickup truck.

Also, our plan to to fly out and look for an apartment before we move, is this the best tactic or would it be smarter to move out into a cheap motel with all our stuff in storage, then look for a place? Any suggestions here would be great.

I think that's the major stuff I'm worried about, thanks! Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
First use Google Maps and enter the address of your place of work. Then click on the Transit option to see the closest stop. The MAX runs on the south end of the Lloyd District, the #9 Broadway bus the other, both offer frequent service. Buses 17, 15 and the street car all serve close-in NW and have frequent service, you would need to change lines at some point en route. It is reasonable to travel by bicycle but I don't think you should attempt that until you are familiar with the streets.

Shipping stuff from KY will be expensive. Were I you I would pack the car with things you just can't do without (keep your electronics in a separate suitcase which you ALWAYS bring in to your motel room when you travel). Sell the rest in KY and replace it when you get here. There are many great places to pick up furniture used. In NW the William Temple House Thrift Shop often receives top line donations. If you are determined to ship things (especially if some one else pays for it) consider any of the pod shippers. They will hold your goods long enough for you to find housing.

When searching for an apartment in your desired area be aware that parking may be extra.

Welcome to the City of Roses.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
It is possible to live carless in the NW 21st, 22nd, and 23rd district and Mass Transit to near Lloyd Center. If you plan on living carless, think about a monthly pass with unlimited number of rides on any TriMet line.

Just remember, the most difficult job to get in Portland is the low-paying, low-skill, part-time job that everyone says they want for a short time. As we in Portland hear it, it is hundreds of applications for every advertised job. Have a high skill, or education required job-skill? Not as much of a sweat waiting for the phone to ring.

About buying used furniture in Portland, buy from a reputable used furniture place, not off of craigslist from somebody's garage. (as suggested above, use somebody like William Temple.) Portland is one of many cities that is experiencing a bedbug problem. Sofa's and easy chairs are target for bedbug infestation (wood frame and matting.) Bedbugs are not affected by any bug spay consumers can buy off the shelf in a home improvement Big-Box store.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM

thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming.

We are now thinking, per the above advice, to sell our furniture and move out there in a rental SUV (or similar), put the stuff in temp storage, stay in a cheap motel for a few days, find an apartment, rent a vehicle in town to move the stuff from storage to the new apartment, and go from there.

Our plans changed partly because flights are quite expensive, so we thought this might be a better plan.

Thoughts? FYI.. I start on 4/18 so my time is definitely short, I accepted the position as of Friday.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 PM

For short term vehicle rental in the neighborhood you desire Zipcar or Enterprise are probably your best options. There is a storage place on NW 29th between Vaughn & Front, check their rates.

Here is a link to a property management company with apartments you might appreciate: KBC Management manages unique rental properties in Portland Oregon I have never done business with them. If you are using public transit to the Lloyd District their building on NW 29th may be a tad too far (although if you were working down town I highly recommend the street). Many of the apartment buildings in the neighborhood are individually owned & managed. Keep your eye out for 'For Rent' signs.

The NobHillApartments often have vacancies and they don't have many units. Humm...

Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 PM

132 posts, read 341,562 times
Wow! It was fun to look at those apartments. I was ready to go out and rent one of the eastside places built in the '20s -- and then I remembered I own a house.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
If you don't have your heart set on Nob Hill I would recommend Sullivan's Gulch which is in the LLoyd Center area. It is in the neighborhood of Broadway BLVD which has everything you would ever want. Check it out.

Guide to Sullivans Gulch Neighborhood in Portland Oregon

Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Any thoughts on health insurance, the plan that is offered to me is quite expensive $140 to 210, depending on the deductible, are there are good places to look besides getting quotes around town?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 PM

You can always check out Kaiser's offerings. Be sure to compare coverage, not just price.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If you don't have your heart set on Nob Hill I would recommend Sullivan's Gulch which is in the LLoyd Center area. It is in the neighborhood of Broadway BLVD which has everything you would ever want. Check it out.

Guide to Sullivans Gulch Neighborhood in Portland Oregon
The streets to the immediate north of Broadway have many nice rentals and the cafe culture. Heck, he could walk to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland