Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM

259 posts, read 601,738 times

Advertisements

My son lives in the Belmont area. I LOVE that neighborhood. We are planning to move back to Oregon in a few years, and that's where we'll be looking. Being able to walk to everything is a huge asset, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:31 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I guess it's not unusual, but I'm going to be the dissenting voice, though it's tough not knowing exactly where the Rose City place is.

I've lived near the Belmont one for many years. And while I think it's a great area, and I do like it a lot ... the area around 36th isn't all that close to services or parks, IMO, to deserve the walkalbility rating. And be advised that there's a Methadone Treatment clinic at 26th & Belmont. That means clients lined up on the sidewalks at certain times of day. Zupans (with it's expensive groceries) is about 10 blocks up Belmont, or Safeway (not quite as expensive) is about 8 blocks over on Hawthorne. There really aren't any near parks -- Lone Fir Cemetery is the closest "green space", or Col. Summers down at 20th, which doesn't seem all that kid friendly.

Like I say, it's hard to speak to the Rose City area without something more specific. I'd just ask myself if it'd be worth the $4,200 extra expense to be on Belmont. I don't think it would be to me ... but then, I'm cheap.
Although as I said 36th and Belmont would be my choice for me, if I had kids I would choose Rose City. I hadn't thought of the impact the crowding, Meth clinic and lack of space for kids to play that would deter me. One thing for sure, if the kids stroll along Belmont in that area, they would get quite the education but one that the parents would not be happy about.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
The other problem with Belmont is the lack of parking in general. If you're a social person with friends coming over, they're not going to want to do so due to the lack of parking.

I'd go with the place off Sandy personally. An extra $350/month is $4200 for the year which could go to paying bills or into savings. It's still close enough that riding a bike to the Belmont area is doable, plus you'd be closer to Lloyd Center for the same reason, and it's a straight shot to get downtown and Saturday Market.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:44 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
$350.00 a month is a lot of money to me.

For $1350 per month, you might discover you have a lot wider choice of neighborhoods, but you may have to be living in Portland to discover how many housing options you may have. Many of the most desirable places don't need to advertise, the landlords just post a sign on the building and the place gets rented.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 23,931 times
All excellent points. The $350 a month is definitely what we were stuck on, because if all else were equal the Belmont unit is a no-brainer for us due to the proximity of Laurelhurst park, library, grocery, restaurants...but a lot can be done/saved with the extra cash which many have spoken to. We have lived in the NE before (Beaumont) and have a solid understanding of that greater area, but also like the idea of being in a new area (SE) that we can learn about.

Sunscribble, thanks for the PM with additional info, very thorough analysis of the two areas. You mentioned the street noise, which is something we have thoughtfully considered.

Price aside, the units amenities, location and feedback from this forum have ultimately compelled us to get the Belmont unit. Although there are certain drawbacks to the area, it will be awesome to walk to everything. 850 sq. ft vs. 1000 sq. ft for a 2bd/2ba is a bit too small for us right now. With our son being so young we plan to move to a good school area within 2 years, so might as well live it up now!

Thanks again to everyone, it has been incredibly helpful to see both sides of the coin.

Any other thoughts are definitely welcome..

Old 04-29-2011, 04:52 PM

51 posts, read 122,411 times
I've lived in both areas and I'll weigh in here I guess...

While I don't have any children, and while I do agree with everythign everyone has said here, I would choose the Belmont area over the Sandy area, mostly because I think the Belmont area gives you more access to just about everything Portland's eastside has to offer. While the difference in price is significant, it sounds like you are planning on moving to, I would presume but I don't this for sure, the westside for your son's education, then Belmont really is the place to "live it up" for a year. Yep, parking can be tough at times, and paying more money is never fun. But the Belmont area simply has more going on. I think that may be important for a young family.

Also, having lived on 57th and Sandy, whether you choose to move to Belmont or Sandy, you absolutely must go to Laurelwood Brew Pub on Sandy. It is very kid-friendly, they make great food, and they've got great beers. Win-win-win! In just about a year and a half of living in the Hollywood area, this was my favorite restaurant by far.

Good luck and hope you and your family have a great year!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,875 times
I prefer the Rose City/ Hollywood area. This area is ideal for young families.
I grew up close to the Belmont area and it IS nice, but it is also extremely busy with traffic.

There are good parks in both areas and both areas can boast about good restaurants, coffee shops and grocery stores.

Portland TriMet is pretty awesome- but both areas you opt for are not super close to our lightrail system- MAX. The closest station would be at 43rd and Sandy Blvd.

I just can't see spending the extra $350 --- both areas are great, so use the extra money for fun!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:16 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongportlander View Post
I prefer the Rose City/ Hollywood area. This area is ideal for young families.
I grew up close to the Belmont area and it IS nice, but it is also extremely busy with traffic.
Does Belmont have more traffic than Sandy Blvd.? I don't live in either area or visit them often but my impression was that Sandy is a wide, busy thoroughfare while Belmont has more of a neighborhood feeling.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Does Belmont have more traffic than Sandy Blvd.? I don't live in either area or visit them often but my impression was that Sandy is a wide, busy thoroughfare while Belmont has more of a neighborhood feeling.
Belmont itself is a very busy and noisy street. Then there are the side streets where the farther you go, the quieter is gets. However, parking is a problem because only Zupan's has a parking lot for its customers. The other shops and restaraunts do not. So the side streets get filled with people parking their cars to shop on Belmont.

A couple of years ago, bicycle parking spaces were created on Belmont across from Zupan's making the narrow street even more congested and eliminating parking spaces.

Sandy Blvd is wider and the commerical parts are more spread out. You don't see the congestion there as you would on Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: