Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bluesmama;19330785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
On one hand, the property taxes don't seem to bad in Oregon. . . .)

I don't know about that, man. I pay higher property taxes for my little 1000-sq ft house than my either of my brothers in California do for their 40-acre farms.

I'll vote for sales taxes only if it means getting rid of something else ~ state tax, preferrably. Oregon tax-payers are gouged enough on their property taxes, and there are certainly enough lottery participants. Unless something has changed in recent years, a portion of the lottery was supposed to be allocated to the schools.
Perhaps I'll be changing my tune if/when I buy property in Oregon, but looking at the tax rates for homes I've been interested in possibly purchasing and also knowing what family pays, the rates don't seem terribly unreasonable to me. I suppose they may be high, but not unreasonable, as far as I see it at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't know about that, man. I pay higher property taxes for my little 1000-sq ft house than my either of my brothers in California do for their 40-acre farms.
That doesn't mean anything really. I pay more taxes on my house then my Grandparents do on their 20 acre farm, and my father in law does on his ten acres combined and would still have enough left over to pay my brother's house taxes too. All are in Oregon.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
My property taxes (Multnomah County) are almost four thousand dollars a year.
My brother's taxes (Lane County) a little over one thousand dollars a year.
I should move and take a luxurious all expense paid cruise every year.
Or buy a new toy.

Our houses are very comparable as far as construction and lot size.
The kicker should go away, it causes more problems than it's worth.
Instead of the state taking more tax dollars up front then giving excess back, they should do the math right the first time.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
Get rid of the kicker and put the money into Treasury bills. Don't allow those to be used unless unemployment is over 10% or some other dire measure. If it piles up beyond $X, we'll have a discussion about what to do with it.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:52 AM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
Sales taxes are regressive, but - they do allow retailers to charge more (shop in Washington some time) and they do let tourists etc. off untaxed (though we do have our share of occupancy taxes).

Taxes in Oregon are generally very low. Our state university system gets only 13% of its funding from the State.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Other than being regressive, the main problem with the sales tax is that there are always people who will want to raise it by a quarter or half-percent. And the proponents of such increases inevitably compare the increase to a scenario in which the average taxpayer will not be able to purchase one extra mocha latte or other fancy coffee product per month.

Must drive the coffee industry bonkers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland