Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 AM

161 posts, read 411,301 times

Advertisements

Well, the countdown has begun!

I'm driving up to Portland on Monday from San Diego! My mom and my sister are moving up with me (we're caravanning it, but they wouldn't listen to me and put CB radios in our cars ) We're trying to find a house to live together to cut down on costs, atleast for now.

We had a house lined up, but when they realized we wouldn't be able to move in until the middle of the month instead of paying for the whole month, they pulled out of the deal (we had even sent them a deposit! Still waiting for that back...)

We HAVE to be up there by Wednesday at the latest because the interview is on Thursday AM (well paying, high ranking job....whoo!). But we have no house!

We were thinking of just getting a hotel until we could find one, but that's so expensive (ontop of moving costs, that will be our entire savings) in addition to their being no guarentee we can find a house within a week or two. We were going to stay with a family member but her husband filed for divorce last week and he owns the house, so we are no longer welcome.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to stay? All we need is a working shower and a place to brush our teeth. We're low maintenance people. I was looking for a temporary sublet/housing, but havn't come up on much on craigslist and in the classifieds in the local papers.

Oh, and we'll need to sneak in one cat. We have a travel crate for her and she's very timid so she'll be in there the whole time under her security blanket. She's an elderly cat, very quiet, and clean.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,361,529 times
Not sure where your interview is but this is a relatively inexpensive motel on the edge of downtown. Very close to the Max and lots of places to eat nearby.

Travelodge

Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,029,096 times
Would a hostel be an option? There's one on Hawthorne and one in Northwest.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM

161 posts, read 411,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Would a hostel be an option? There's one on Hawthorne and one in Northwest.
Absolutely! We were looking at that but they will absolutely not allow cats

I'll look into the cheap motel at the edge of town! Do you know where it is located?

The interview is on Washington St in Downtown.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM

478 posts, read 882,683 times
We are also moving from San Diego (with two dogs) and facing the same situation- but we aren't moving until September. If you don't mind driving a bit, there are some pet-friendly places in Milwaukie and Gladstone that are much cheaper than the Portland hotels. We will be staying at the Oxford Suites in Gladstone, which is about $90/night. We also looked into the much-cheaper Milwaukie Inn. Since we will be staying untl we rent, we wanted a place with at least minimal kitchen facilities- fridge and microwave.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM

600 posts, read 1,469,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post

I'll look into the cheap motel at the edge of town! Do you know where it is located?

If its the Travelodge on 4th Avenue stay the heck away from it. The bar downstairs is a notorious pickup for prostitutes. I sued to work a couple blocks away and that place is pretty well known in the neighborhood for its "colorful" clientele

Old 06-10-2011, 03:53 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,361,529 times
Actually, I think I meant this one. They are only a few blocks apart. Still a good safe area and close to everything.

Portland hotels, Portland OR hotel - Econo Lodge Hotel near Portland State University

Old 06-10-2011, 04:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,475,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post

If necessary you can board your kitty. This is a great place. I take my kitty to have her claws trimmed here.

Townhouse Pet Care

From here it's easy to get to downtown or wherever else you may need to go.

A word of advice regarding finding a new place to live: do not try to "sneak" your kitty into no pets housing. No pets means no pets. You don't want to wind up thrown out on the street with no house.

Last edited by Minervah; 06-10-2011 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Just had to add

Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 23,011 times
I've used Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb on multiple occasions and had good experiences every time.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 PM

12 posts, read 17,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwdds View Post
I've used Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb on multiple occasions and had good experiences every time.
Thanks for the link! This is a great site.

You really should check this out if you need a temporary place while you look for one for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: