Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

I hope to heaven the flooding has abated by the end of June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM

319 posts, read 604,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You are going to be crossing the Rocky Mountains... ... there isn't really any 'avoiding' them possible. If you are driving an automatic transmission put it in 2nd gear and stay in the righthandmost lane and you will be fine.

H
Dear OP, disregard the above statement, Leisesturm is a bike commuter and was temporarily confused by the difference between cars and bicycles. I'm sure it will be clear when you drive on the primarily flat interstate system in "D".

BTW the 80 route is plenty fun. Lots of high-speed zones in Wyoming.

Lulz

Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
Dear OP, disregard the above statement, Leisesturm is a bike commuter and was temporarily confused by the difference between cars and bicycles. I'm sure it will be clear when you drive on the primarily flat interstate system in "D".

BTW the 80 route is plenty fun. Lots of high-speed zones in Wyoming.

Lulz
Primarily flat... ... and... ... what part of "to avoid dangerous mountains, etc. This will be my first solo cross country trip and need some coddling as well." You coast down the 6% switchbacks in "D" yelling "yee haa" and so do I. Is that appropriate advice for the o.p.?

H

Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM

181 posts, read 455,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I leave next Tuesday, so I'm crossing fingers that it works out, as I don't want to do I-80.
I'm leaving exactly a week after you, doing the same drive (except we're staying on 90 all the way). How many days are you going to stretch it out over? We're going to do it in 5.5, stopping in Madison, Sioux Falls, some random podunk town in Wyoming, Butte, and somewhere in central WA. I have to meet my new landlord early Sunday afternoon, or else we might have tried to squeeze the drive into 5 days. I can't wait to check out the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 PM

86 posts, read 109,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
I'm leaving exactly a week after you, doing the same drive (except we're staying on 90 all the way). How many days are you going to stretch it out over? We're going to do it in 5.5, stopping in Madison, Sioux Falls, some random podunk town in Wyoming, Butte, and somewhere in central WA. I have to meet my new landlord early Sunday afternoon, or else we might have tried to squeeze the drive into 5 days. I can't wait to check out the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore.
Id stay in missoula over butte

Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
The problem with me is it'll just be me driving the 26' uhaul & pulling our minivan. The wife/kids are flying, but because the dog cannot fly in the summer (too hot), I have to drive her across country, and no, I'm not thrilled about that haha. Needless to say, I'm hoping not to totally exhaust myself, but I'm imagining that'll be the case. On Sunday, 6/12, I have several relatives that are able to help us unload, so I'd like to be there by then. Thus, I'm thinking:

Tuesday - Tomah, WI (10:11 day) (where 90/94 split)
Wednesday - Bismarck, ND (10:12 day)
Thursday - Bozeman, MT (8:30 day)*
Friday - Kennewick, WA (8:45 day)*
Saturday - arrive Milwaukie (3:52 day)
*Slightly shorter days due to mountain travel.

I've been to all fifty states, but only touched a small piece of ND, just Glacier & Yellowstone in Montana, and only southern Idaho - thus the reason I chose that route. Been clear across SD on 90 already. Have always wanted to see Teddy Roosevelt NP.

PS: What end of PDX are you working/living? I'm working in Milwaukie and we're hoping to find a place in the Happy Valley area. For the short term, we're bunking w/relatives in McMinnville It's gonna be a 90 minute commute in the short term, so I've already told my wife we're finding something QUICKLY!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derniss View Post
Id stay in missoula over butte
Yeah, I've read that Butte is kind of a hole, and I'd prefer to avoid it. Unfortunately, Missoula is a full two hours away, which would mean we'd have to drive 10 hours that day instead of 8. That will be day 4 of our trip, and I'm sure I won't feel like driving that many hours!

Bozeman is where I REALLY wanted to stay, but that wouldn't work well with our schedule, either. Butte happens to be in the perfect location.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Tuesday - Tomah, WI (10:11 day) (where 90/94 split)
Wednesday - Bismarck, ND (10:12 day)
Thursday - Bozeman, MT (8:30 day)*
Friday - Kennewick, WA (8:45 day)*
Saturday - arrive Milwaukie (3:52 day)
*Slightly shorter days due to mountain travel.

PS: What end of PDX are you working/living? I'm working in Milwaukie and we're hoping to find a place in the Happy Valley area. For the short term, we're bunking w/relatives in McMinnville It's gonna be a 90 minute commute in the short term, so I've already told my wife we're finding something QUICKLY!
I wish you a safe trip! At least you'll have the dog to keep you company.

I'm going to be living and working in the NW neighborhood, right between the Pearl and NW 23rd. I had looked at several apartment buildings around downtown and the NW on previous trips to Portland, so I had an idea of what I wanted and what I could afford. I was EXTREMELY fortunate with how the rental process worked out. The day I was offered a job, I spent maybe 15 minutes on Craigslist and found what seemed to be the perfect apartment for my needs. I sent an email, and two days later it was mine! It's normally NOT that easy!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 14,876 times
We are driving from SE MN to OR the last week of June. 4 adults, two kids and two cars and we are hoping to do it in 2 1/3 days.

1: Rochester MN to Mt. Rushmore (our only tourist stop) to Spearfish, SD (670 miles)
2: Spearfish to Coeur d'Alene, ID (782 miles)
3: Coeur d'Alene, ID to Portland (392 miles)

We are going to be living in the SW near Tigard.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 PM

117 posts, read 274,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCheri View Post
We are driving from SE MN to OR the last week of June. 4 adults, two kids and two cars and we are hoping to do it in 2 1/3 days.

1: Rochester MN to Mt. Rushmore (our only tourist stop) to Spearfish, SD (670 miles)
2: Spearfish to Coeur d'Alene, ID (782 miles)
3: Coeur d'Alene, ID to Portland (392 miles)

We are going to be living in the SW near Tigard.
782 miles in one day? with kids in the car? assuming traffic allows you to average 60 mph, thats 13 hours if you never stop.... with kids, food and gas stops that sure looks like a 17 hr day to me...

that sounds extremely painful.... good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland