Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM

161 posts, read 411,068 times

Advertisements

I am having the most terrible time trying to find a house!

70% of houses that I investigate on Craigslist is a scam. I've been walking and driving around but I havn't been hitting on much, and what I do is a slum. The Oregonian and Willamette Weekly doesn't have much in it, either. I've searched through every property managements site and have found pretty much nothing besides apartments.

Our budget is about $1300 (maybe $1400...) for a 3 bedroom house/townhome/duplex/apartment and we are finding absolutely nothing in that price range in SE Portland or N Clackamas. I will be working at Kaiser Sunnyside. They suggested the newspapers.

Do we have to start looking further out? Any other resource ideas?

I almost think it would be easier buying a house! If only my credit was that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,643 times
Yes, it would be much easier buying a house. There is a lot for sale, that would easily fall into that price range. And there isn't that much for rent. I have some friends looking at 3 bedroom rentals, albeit in the more trendy SE areas (Hawthorne, Powell), and they are looking at $2400-2500. Just gives you an idea of the house rental market. Granted those are pretty large (2000+ ft. houses with 3 bathrooms), and fairly pricey. But there is a HUGE demand for the housing you're looking for in that price range. Zillow says the house we are looking at buying ($126k, 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, a little outside of Woodstock in the SE) would rent for $1500-1600 just to give you an idea.

Last edited by davemess10; 06-23-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Yes, it would be much easier buying a house. There is a lot for sale, that would easily fall into that price range. And there isn't that much for rent. I have some friends looking at 3 bedroom rentals, albeit in the more trendy SE areas (Hawthorne, Powell), and they are looking at $2400-2500. Just gives you an idea of the house rental market. Granted those are pretty lard (2000+ ft. houses), and fairly pricey. But there is a HUGE demand for the housing you're looking for in that price range. Zillow says the house we are looking at buying ($126k, 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, a little outside of Woodstock in the SE) would rent for $1500-1600 just to give you an idea.
Holy cow!

Yeah, I can tell that these houses are in demand...it's crazy they go so quick! Literally I've called people a few minutes after their posting and it's already rented or they have 50 applicants. My credit is horrific from some massive medical problems and a tad bit of bad luck so I'm always the last on the list or they want a $3500 deposit - I have the money, but I don't want to put that in a deposit!

Maybe I'll start begging a lender.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM

have you looked at padmapper. I saw a few on there, not sure how legit they are, but there are some.
http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?ty...07143&src=main Something like this seemed okay.

Last edited by davemess10; 06-23-2011 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,469,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
I am having the most terrible time trying to find a house!

70% of houses that I investigate on Craigslist is a scam. I've been walking and driving around but I havn't been hitting on much, and what I do is a slum. The Oregonian and Willamette Weekly doesn't have much in it, either. I've searched through every property managements site and have found pretty much nothing besides apartments.

Our budget is about $1300 (maybe $1400...) for a 3 bedroom house/townhome/duplex/apartment and we are finding absolutely nothing in that price range in SE Portland or N Clackamas. I will be working at Kaiser Sunnyside. They suggested the newspapers.

Do we have to start looking further out? Any other resource ideas?

I almost think it would be easier buying a house! If only my credit was that good.
You need to change your location search or be ready to cough up more money for rent. $1300 seems really low for a decent place in a nice area.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
You need to change your location search or be ready to cough up more money for rent. $1300 seems really low for a decent place in a nice area.
Even in Clackamas? We're looking really far out, like Oregon City and Damascus.

I talked to my mom and we started looking at a little higher (up to $1500) and found some nice places. $100 really made a difference!

We're trying to balance cost vs livability so that we can both save some money (so I can pay off medical bills and she can save up for a house).

Thanks guys!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM

It looks like we MIGHT have found a house. We're still filling out paperwork. We've been here once before and the lady backed out once she had our deposit, but these people seem really nice!

And it's a super cute little bungalow in Foster-Powell for $1300!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM

19 posts, read 38,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post

70% of houses that I investigate on Craigslist is a scam.

really? that scared me, we are looking for a rental in the same area (2bd) but we are looking from 2500 miles away. how did you know they were scams? that made me think that maybe i should stick to listings managed by a management company. has anyone else experienced this? i've owned for 18 years, this will be the first time i've rented in a very long time....

Old 06-24-2011, 08:50 AM

They're fairly obvious. They won't let you see the house beforehand. Want you to mail them money and information and they'll mail you the keys. The price is way lower than the going rate in the area.
Not to be racist, but usually the English in their responses is not the best, and they'll write back at weird hours (because they're on the other side of the world).
If it seems too good to be true, or just seems a little weird, be very hesitant.
Or just post the ad here and people could tell you.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM

19 posts, read 38,832 times
ahh, ok. that's good to know. those things would all make me a bit suspicious as well. thanks for answering me so quickly. good luck to you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland