Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 PM

216 posts, read 910,067 times

Advertisements

Exactly! "we all make our own worlds rather than expecting a place or other people to make ours". I love that statement!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I would like to see neighbors bringing cake over and inviting you out to dinner. I don't know if it's just me but I take manners very seriously.
Supernova, have you considered the Southeast? One reason I'm leaving Portland is the lack of what you describe. The people here are "nice," but not very open. They're not outwardly rude, but people seem to be in their own little bubbles and come across as rather oblivious to others. It's hard to describe.

I think you should make a couple trips here before you make a decision. Hang out in the downtown and inner neighborhoods. Go to the indy coffee houses. Try striking up conversations with people. Just sort of immerse yourself and see what you think.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
Thanks, Nancy.

I have also found that people wait for others to extend themselves. To have friends, one must extend oneself and offer getting together, not expecting all to take you up on it and not be deterred by that. It may be helpful to tell others you are new to the city. You can take classes, involve yourself in something of interest. All depends on what you put forth.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:25 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
Oops! I meant Thanks, Nature Girl. Getting all mixed up here

Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,802 times
I'm hopefully moving to oregon in may 2008. its seems like the perfect place,however i keep hearing about the gloomy conditions.i suffer from depression anyways,now i am getting scared! i live in florida now and have all my life, i am trying to get away from this life i call hell. its so hot and awful here and despite what people think about it having southern hospitality.lol that is the biggest joke ever! people are rude not to mention no matter how much education they have they just come across stupid and redneck. it hurts me talk that way about the place i grew up in but its true. crime is out of control and you must know spanish to make it here. you have to like a loud shoe in the dryer beat to your music,cause that is all you hear.so can someone please tell me is oregon more friendly? i heard people enjoy a healthy lifestyle,crime is low, is this true? how about the cost of living ? home rentals etc. tell me all the good stuff.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:21 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
If you suffer from depression anyway, invest in a lamp for SAD and get your meds ready! Seriously though, it really depends on if weather impacts your mood. Hot bright sun all the time makes me nuts. I am not even slightly bothered by rain or clouds, but I live with someone who IS affected by winter here and has had to make adjustments such as keeping really busy during the darkest months, getting lots of exercise, waking early for maximum light, etc. He does fine but he needs to take responsibility in terms of how to combat it or else he gets depressed by it. I think that's the key--a lot of people don't do anything about it and just sit around and mope and complain about Portland. If you are affected by sunlight or sunlight intensity (since we're further from the equator) then you're going to have to figure out what to do about it in order to not be bothered by it. I think exercise is one of the best ways and I also know people who take extra Vitamin D.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Supernova, have you considered the Southeast? One reason I'm leaving Portland is the lack of what you describe. The people here are "nice," but not very open. They're not outwardly rude, but people seem to be in their own little bubbles and come across as rather oblivious to others. It's hard to describe.

I think you should make a couple trips here before you make a decision. Hang out in the downtown and inner neighborhoods. Go to the indy coffee houses. Try striking up conversations with people. Just sort of immerse yourself and see what you think.

People are not open, rude and come across as oblivious
I looked in to certain regions of Texas that's about as SE as I'll go. Only problem with the SE is the strong Republican/Conservative atmosphere, sprawl and poor public transit. Those are all very important to me, otherwise I would move to the SE in a heartbeat. Scenery/mountains mean very little to me, I an take it or leave it. SE cost of living is very good and the economy in Texas is VERY STRONG. Moving is a very tedious and difficult venture.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 PM

290 posts, read 1,181,350 times
I know you mentioned the SE, but how about Austin.. where I live. Folks are friendly around here. Friendly in a sense that you can interact with your neighbors, visit sometimes etc. At the park people do chat with you.. all that is nice. The heat of the summer keeps a lot of people indoors which is bad. I'm one of them. The spring and fall are very nice and do get people out.

Every city/town has it's set of negatives and positives. You should look at the overall picture and experience it for a while before you can decide if you like it. That makes moving to a new city in a different state fairly hard to do.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
:
I looked in to certain regions of Texas that's about as SE as I'll go. Only problem with the SE is the strong Republican/Conservative atmosphere, sprawl and poor public transit.
AH! But dig deeper and you might find some better pockets. I don't care for Texas either, for the reasons you describe. It doesn't get worse as you go east from Texas. Texas is like its own little country, and remember -- it spawned the likes of Karl Rove, Tom Delay, and their ilk.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
Don't forget that Texas also "spawned" the likes of Lance Armstrong, Nolan Ryan, Denton Cooley, Michael DeBakey, Vince Young, Scott Joplin, Tommy Lee Jones, Davy Crockett, Audie Murphy, Sandra Day O'Conner, Joan Crawford and so many more that you'd have to take the rest of the day off to read the list. Texas is perhaps the most unique state in the US, and certainly the only one who at one time had its own army. No matter where we live, and how long we've been gone, once a Texan, always a Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland