Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 PM

161 posts, read 411,018 times

Advertisements

Well, we finally did it...we adopted a dog!

After weeks and weeks and weeks of searching and meeting 20 dogs, we finally found the one! We are adopting him through Multonomah Animal Control. He's a 1 year old Aussie x Border Collie. We're naming him Gromit (like Wallace and Gromit, the claymation guys!) He's a total sweetheart and really well behaved, but he needs some obedience work (it's also a requirement for adoption).

Anyone have any suggestions for a good trainer? I'm not really interested in Petco classes, I have found in the past that they are very generic. I would like somewhere that works with my dogs specific needs and issues. We are interested in agility, although I am not sure if Gromit is...he's been really stressed at the shelter and won't play.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Congrats on your adoption! You have saved a life!

I would suggest looking for a local behaviorist and ask for references. You can get one on one attention specific for your dog, which always works out better. Please do not choose someone that takes your dog to train, you need to be involved in the process. If you are not satisfied with your choices, there is a great book, "How To Be Your Dogs Best Friend" by the Monks of New Skete. They train all breeds but breed German Shepherds.

Even if you don't do the training yourself, it is still a great resource.

Best wishes and again, congrats!!!
LuvABull.Denver

Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 AM

Thanks! I'll definitely pick up that book!

I have actually worked as a professional animal trainer before (with horses) so I am very particular about the kind of training I want, and I want to do it myself - I definitely am looking for something one on one that will focus on his needs (being a herding breed, he's smart but ADD).

He he works out and gets settled in nicely, we might go back and pick up our second favorite doggie, a female purebred BC. She's so neurotic in the shelter, she's been in there for 2 months and no ones taken her so she's at risk of euthanasia (they were both actually at risk...no one wants the BCs!) She however is untested with other animals due to kennel cough (she won't be tested until she's completely healthy again, in 2-4 weeks) so we couldn't risk bringing her home with a cat or the neighbors dogs.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Try Mary Rioux-Forker (she's also on FB). She's an absolutely superb trainer.

PAC - Links to Trainers

Congratulations on your new doggers!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Try Mary Rioux-Forker (she's also on FB). She's an absolutely superb trainer.

PAC - Links to Trainers

Congratulations on your new doggers!
Thanks so much! That's a great resource! There were a few trainers that the shelter recommended to me on there.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
They used to do obedience classes at Portland Community College (non-credit, community classes). I don't know if that is still going on though. Portland Community College

Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
We went through Steve at Canine Classroom. We choose him because he's Pit Bull knowledgeable and helped us curb some of the worse behaviors. Dog Training, Animal Behavior Services, Canine Classroom - Portland, OR

Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
We went through Steve at Canine Classroom. We choose him because he's Pit Bull knowledgeable and helped us curb some of the worse behaviors. Dog Training, Animal Behavior Services, Canine Classroom - Portland, OR
He's the one that came most highly recommended by everyone. We're definitely looking into starting some classes ASAP. Our guy Gromit does't have any major behavioral issues, he's just untrained but INCREDIBLY smart. In 24 hours he know stay and leave it, both really hard because they require a lot of impulse control. I want to work to get him Canine Good Citizen certified to use him as a therapy dog...he's such a loving guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland