Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 AM

218 posts, read 376,878 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

As you may or may not know I am moving to Oregon this summer from Arizona. I have no direct ties in Oregon with family or long lost friends. I do have some friends but none that I have known for my entire life. Just a fresh start over for me and my family. A brief history before I ask my question... My mom came from Canada ( Manitoba) her father Frank Chesley died when she was just two. her monther ( Helena Chesley) re married to Arnold Stadelmier and had a son Edward Stadelmier. My mom and her sister Louise were both from her previous marriage. My whole side of my moms family ( Uncle, grand parents and my mom and aunt) are all gone now. However breaking new this Christmas weekend! My cousin ( my aunts daughter) said that my Grandma and Grandpa lived in Portland OR for many years before coming down to California. How would I find out information on them? Where do I start? I have their names and the family members names that I know. I would really love to research this and prove that I have had family there. Any information would be grateful. I know they owned a home there and my cousins would visit for a month in the summer but she couldn't remember exactly where. Their names are Arnold Stadelmier and Helena Stadelmier. It would have to be between the 60's and 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:51 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Go to the main branch of the Multnomah County Library in downtown Portland and check the City Directories - early telephone directories were wonderfully nosy, often listing name, address, phone number, age, place of employment, trade, spouse, children.

There are also geneaology search help sites available there:

City directories - Your Family History - Multnomah County Library

Old 12-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Thank you for the information. I don't live in Oregon just yet and it wants me to have a Library card. I tried to get one online but it asks me to go in and verify the info I put in . I'll keep fiddling around till I can get something..Thank you very much

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 AM

306 posts, read 416,514 times
Call or email and ask them if they can look for you. Many libraries offer this at no or low cost. Good-luck!!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 AM

Or you could just be patient and wait until you get here and can get a local library card free. Then you can go in, talk to the staff and get their genealogy tour, which is wonderful.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Good to know thank you very much I will do that. I am on the hunt to find out where they live and confirm they did live there. Wish me luck!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:26 AM

Update: I found that both my Direct line cousins were born in Gladstone, OR!!!! Wow I never knew this. I can't wait to find out more.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
Update: I found that both my Direct line cousins were born in Gladstone, OR!!!! Wow I never knew this. I can't wait to find out more.
That is awesome! Did you get your library card? I always thought you had to be a resident of the city to obtain one.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That is awesome! Did you get your library card? I always thought you had to be a resident of the city to obtain one.
Get a card - Library Catalog - Multnomah County Library

Pretty much anywhere in the Portland metro region, including SW Washington, can get a free library card - otherwise it is $135.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Yeah I have to be a resident and show proof of I.D. I believe I have found all the information I need for now on my cousins to give me some peace of mind thus far. When I move there I will obtain one and find out where my grandparents lived. I knew I had some kind of connection to Oregon and what I found out today truly proved me right! Thank you everyone for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: