Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,950,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Perhaps you missed this part.

He weighed 67 pounds when he died.

Despite your subjective experiences with your animals getting away from you and fending on their own for a time, domestic animals are not equipped to live in the wild, and whether you think that certain types should be bred or not is quite beside the point. Just ask anyone who actually lives in a rural setting how many of the animal that are dumped in such settings survive for very long.

Back to the OP instead of this silliness...seriously, get yourself a job at a resort or some such where they provide you with a place to stay while you work. Those jobs are out there and they aren't so hard to get---you have no children or family obligations. Look up the Coolworks site I mentioned earlier and start bombing out apps. Something will come along for you.
It's not my "subjective" experiences. Cats and dogs are perfectly equipped for survival. I worked with animals for a while, by the way. Not every single animal is going to survive--and nature isn't meant for every single animal to survive, this is a point of natural selection. Please don't lecture me on animals, you don't know much about them.

So what, Chris McCandless weighted 67 pounds? It was his FREE CHOICE, and he died HAPPY, as he recorded in his journal. I also had a pleasure to witness a few people die in nursing homes and hospitals (you obviously did not), and these people do not die happy in most cases and would not record what Chris recorded in his journal. At least Chris died free, not being a 200lb elephant sitting on his fat ass in front of the TV or other screen living boring little life (those are already dead). Chris knew well what he was risking and went after his dream; I believe he preferred to die in the wilderness than to return to the world of men, as investigation had showed that he had the means to return and cross that river. He wasn't the gutless one, for sure, otherwise he'd probably be posting on city data now how to stay outta dangers of this world.

Last edited by alexxiz; 01-17-2012 at 09:29 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
It's not my "subjective" experiences. Cats and dogs are perfectly equipped for survival. I worked with animals for a while, by the way. Not every single animal is going to survive--and nature isn't meant for every single animal to survive, this is a point of natural selection. Please don't lecture me on animals, you don't know much about them.

So what, Chris McCandless weighted 67 pounds? It was his FREE CHOICE, and he died HAPPY, as he recorded in his journal. I also had a pleasure to witness a few people die in nursing homes and hospitals (you obviously did not), and these people do not die happy in most cases and would not record what Chris recorded in his journal. At least Chris died free, not being a 200lb elephant sitting on his fat ass in front of the TV or other screen living boring little life (those are already dead).
No, they are not. Again, ask anyone who actually lives in a rural area how many of the cats and (especially) dogs who are dumped "in the wild" really survive. And I'll lecture anyone on animals who pretends to know enough about them to spread falsehoods and possibly perpetuate the urban myth that little Fluffy is going to be "just fine" if he's dumped in the woods.

Not everyone who declines to starve to death in a bus outside of Healy is a 200 pound television watching elephant. It's pretty obvious that Chris wanted to lived. had he done so, I'm certain that he would have put his time here on Earth to good use.

Glorify the guy all you want...we're used to that from lower 48 urbanites, but you can't dispute these words...again...

Quote:
"S.O.S. I need your help. I am injured, near death, and too weak to hike out. I am all alone, this is no joke. In the name of God, please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you, Chris McCandless.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Sorry, but you're plain wrong. Most breeds of dogs are not going to be "just fine" when dumped in the wild. They are going to slowly starve to death the way that your hero Chris did, or if they're lucky, they'll be eaten by wolves or shot by a landowner. Now I do suggest that you calm down and stop trolling the OP's thread with your fallacious nonsense.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 AM

343 posts, read 693,175 times
Now I'm pretty sure the OP is wondering "WTF happened to this thread?", lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
At least we haven't wasted two pages talking about friggin strawberrries.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,879 times
Wow, this is weird. Why is this now about cats and dogs? I don't think I'll spend time trying to find the connection...

Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
I think the jist of it is that by being homeless and destitute, a human being can acheive a higher state of conciousness by having total freedom and not being encumbered by the restraints and rules of society, "The Man" and the influences of evil, greedy corportions, with the example being that dogs and cats(and parrots) do it all the time, with minimal problems because they rely on instinct rather than logical thought.

Unless, of course, you would like to purchase a pint of strawberries, then you have to agonize whether to spend $2.50 or $1.75 for a pint with the added stress of deciding whether to buy Oregon strawberries, California Strawberries or just finding some wild ones for free...

Oops, I'm mixing threads, I think.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Hi, I'm considering being a homeless person on the streets of Portland and addtionally I want to be able to buy organic strawberries for under $2.00 a pint.

Also, I have a dog and a cat and was curious to whether they'd be able to survive on their own in the wild?

Is this the right thread for me? Or should I just pack it up and move to the Alaskan wilderness?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
Now I'm pretty sure the OP is wondering "WTF happened to this thread?", lol.
Yes, it has wandered FAR from the topic.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM

29 posts, read 54,730 times
I'm writing a letter to Oprah and asking for help, hope it works. Someone needs to make a list of rich people I can beg for money. I need their contact info as well, PM it to me please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland