Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times

Advertisements

I'm serious as well and you have received usefull (if naive) information from others. Hmmm, you're going to be homeless in PDX, I daresay you'll have to deal with a lot worse than me.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident14 View Post
^ I don't appreciate you making jokes, this thread is serious I am really thinking about moving to Portland and I would be homeless because I don't have any money. If you are not offering me useful information please close your mouth.
Being homeless is a trap that is very difficult to get out of. Voluntarily stepping into a trap when you have other options, even if those options aren't that exciting, would be extremely foolish, and detrimental to your physical and mental health.

Having known a number of people who have been homeless at various points in their lives (and some who, for all practical purposes still are), I can tell you that NO ONE who has been homeless comes out of it unscarred. It will scar you for life. It will reduce your ability to socialize normatively, which in turn reduces your chances of retaining meaningful employment.

Can you live through it and go on to live a non-homeless life? Yes. But I'd be willing to bet a fairly substantial sum of money that if you went through being homeless that anyone paying attention to you later in your life will be able to tell you were homeless, even if it's just because something about you seems slightly "off."

I don't mean this to denigrate people who have been homeless - it's a traumatic experience usually resulting from desperate circumstances outside of their control - but I also refuse to pretend like people who go through it come out the way they went in. They don't. They change, and nearly all of the changes are for the worse. Even when the changes don't directly affect their relationship to other people, the changes often negatively affect their relationship with themselves.

You do not want to voluntarily subject yourself to being homeless. Neither of your parents would ever want that for you. Them being dead doesn't give you the right to risk you life and wellbeing in ways that would distress them. Suck it up in Virgina for a while, but plan your next moves. Anyone can live for 2-3 years in some part of the U.S. that isn't their first choice. It's not like you'd be living in Bolivia or Tadzhikstan. Save money, network, get a job (or jobs), take classes at a community college or public trade school. In the long run, you'll be a lot better off and, who knows, maybe someday you'll even look back fondly on those few years in Virginia where you started laying a foundation for the rest of your life.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,454 times
Maybe you should do a few day's worth of urban camping in Virginia just to see if you can handle it.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM

29 posts, read 54,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If you were to arrive in Portland without a place to live, chances are you would be on the streets for quite some time. I am saying this because this time of year especially the homeless shelters are full with waiting lists for people to get in. Living on the streets can also be dangerous if you don't know your way around.

If you go to the NW Burnside area you will see long lines of people waiting for these shelters and also food. It would probably take you quite a while to find a job and if you didn't have a premanent address, you wouldn't have an easy time of it. In other words, I don't think this would be something you would be happy in doing.

One thing you can do would be to contact various agencies like The Salvation Army or one of the other social service agencies to see what they have to say or offer you. But the best plan would be to find work where you are and save and then relocate if you still want to.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Stay safe.

Thank you. This is the information I was looking for. You have just painted a picture in my head of what homeless life in Portland is really like. And I can tell that despite me having the right intentions and being motivated my idea would ultimately result in failure. If I do go to Portland I need to have enough money to live off for at least 6th months.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Being homeless is a trap that is very difficult to get out of. Voluntarily stepping into a trap when you have other options, even if those options aren't that exciting, would be extremely foolish, and detrimental to your physical and mental health.

Having known a number of people who have been homeless at various points in their lives (and some who, for all practical purposes still are), I can tell you that NO ONE who has been homeless comes out of it unscarred. It will scar you for life. It will reduce your ability to socialize normatively, which in turn reduces your chances of retaining meaningful employment.

Can you live through it and go on to live a non-homeless life? Yes. But I'd be willing to bet a fairly substantial sum of money that if you went through being homeless that anyone paying attention to you later in your life will be able to tell you were homeless, even if it's just because something about you seems slightly "off."

I don't mean this to denigrate people who have been homeless - it's a traumatic experience usually resulting from desperate circumstances outside of their control - but I also refuse to pretend like people who go through it come out the way they went in. They don't. They change, and nearly all of the changes are for the worse. Even when the changes don't directly affect their relationship to other people, the changes often negatively affect their relationship with themselves.

You do not want to voluntarily subject yourself to being homeless. Neither of your parents would ever want that for you. Them being dead doesn't give you the right to risk you life and wellbeing in ways that would distress them. Suck it up in Virgina for a while, but plan your next moves. Anyone can live for 2-3 years in some part of the U.S. that isn't their first choice. It's not like you'd be living in Bolivia or Tadzhikstan. Save money, network, get a job (or jobs), take classes at a community college or public trade school. In the long run, you'll be a lot better off and, who knows, maybe someday you'll even look back fondly on those few years in Virginia where you started laying a foundation for the rest of your life.

This especially. Speaking as one who came very, very close to becoming homeless some years ago, I can tell you even that can leave a scar. I will never forget how it felt to know it could have happened very easily.

To choose that life voluntarily is just not a wise thing to do.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Thank you. This is the information I was looking for. You have just painted a picture in my head of what homeless life in Portland is really like. And I can tell that despite me having the right intentions and being motivated my idea would ultimately result in failure. If I do go to Portland I need to have enough money to live off for at least 6th months.
It looks like our last two posts got entered at the same time and I didn't see this one from you.

I am glad you are making this decision, you will not be sorry. Again, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,895 times
Quote:
^ I don't appreciate you making jokes, this thread is serious I am really thinking about moving to Portland and I would be homeless because I don't have any money. If you are not offering me useful information please close your mouth.
Look through recent threads and you will see Leisesturm's point... lots of recent topics that make you wonder if they are real or not. We have no idea if you are being real or not. My advice was (which you openly asked readers for) was based on the assumption that you are being real... but most rational people, once they are aware of the reality of the situation, would not willingly choose to become homeless.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:07 PM

343 posts, read 693,175 times
A wake-up call to everyone who's replying to this thread:

Have you ever sat down one day, thought about it and said to yourself, "I want to be homeless!"

Yeah, neither have I.

I call BS.

BIG TIME.

Last edited by ramedud; 01-13-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM

29 posts, read 54,730 times
Did you even read what I wrote? I don't WANT to be homeless. I just want to move to Portland. I don't have any money so therefore I would be homeless.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM

343 posts, read 693,175 times
Quote:
Did you even read what I wrote? I don't WANT to be homeless. I just want to move to Portland. I don't have any money so therefore I would be homeless.
Yes. Exactly. I don't think we're splitting hairs here. You couldn't have said it better yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland