Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,127 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a native Texan thinking on a move to Portland, living in Houston has become dull and boring. I need a change.

As far as the weather I have read it rains a lot in Portland, which I'm ok with but was truly wondering how many month's out of the year it actually rains?

From what little research I've done I've noticed that most of the single bedroom apts are posted around 600 to 900$ is this a norm or are their more cost effective living options aside from someones basement rental.

And finally, what's the average hourly wage in portland, I'm used to about 10 to 13$ a hr in Houston. Not like I need that much but I have heard cost of living is fairly high in Oregon in general much less Portland.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
I hate Houston too.

It can rain in any month of Portland. It's less likely to rain late June through mid September. It's not so much the rain, as it's the constant cloud cover with only a few minutes of sun breaks.

I don't know what the average wage in Portland is, as that's going to depend on your job. We have a lot of people in the dollar or two above minimum wage range. We also have a lot of people who make six figures.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM

99 posts, read 277,814 times
Check out this weather thread: Portland Weather Facts

Scroll down to see numerous weather links and videos.

The cloudiest months are November, December, January, and March.

Some people say it rains nine months out of the year, and others say it rains six months out of the year, but in reality we get some rain and some sun every month. The amount of rain per month varies by year, but July and August are generally the driest months.

Again, see the Portland Weather Facts thread for more detail on what to expect in terms of weather.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM

261 posts, read 497,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrobb View Post
Hello,

I'm a native Texan thinking on a move to Portland, living in Houston has become dull and boring. I need a change.

As far as the weather I have read it rains a lot in Portland, which I'm ok with but was truly wondering how many month's out of the year it actually rains?

From what little research I've done I've noticed that most of the single bedroom apts are posted around 600 to 900$ is this a norm or are their more cost effective living options aside from someones basement rental.

And finally, what's the average hourly wage in portland, I'm used to about 10 to 13$ a hr in Houston. Not like I need that much but I have heard cost of living is fairly high in Oregon in general much less Portland.

Thank you.
sometimes Portland can go for many weeks with no rain, temps in the 30s, clear sunny skies. My worst type of weather, and typically always occurs on my Portland visits. sucks. I prefer the overcast drizzle, but have actually yet to see that. I have visited several times in the past 24 months. So of course when I read here people talking about lack of sunshine it really pisses me off, cos that is ALL I GET when I visit.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 AM

5 posts, read 6,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I hate Houston too.

It can rain in any month of Portland. It's less likely to rain late June through mid September. It's not so much the rain, as it's the constant cloud cover with only a few minutes of sun breaks.

I don't know what the average wage in Portland is, as that's going to depend on your job. We have a lot of people in the dollar or two above minimum wage range. We also have a lot of people who make six figures.
I am a Wine Steward so it should be easy for me to get something once I get up their I'm hopeing.

Thanx for the info guy's. Being that I live in Houston I am used to freak weather to were it can be sunny and hot one minute and cold and rainy the next. So I'm hopeing I can mentally take it in Portland, I know I just want something w/ a view of something, other than flat city skyline or miles of freeway! The winters from all the data I've read seem to be close to Houston other than we only have about 2 real month's of it. IE like this week it's been hot half the week and cold and rainy the up till today.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 AM

170 posts, read 291,329 times
I think it actually rains LESS in terms of total rainfall in Portland than Houston, but there are more overcast days.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,494 times
Quote:
I am a Wine Steward so it should be easy for me to get something once I get up their I'm hopeing.

Thanx for the info guy's. Being that I live in Houston I am used to freak weather to were it can be sunny and hot one minute and cold and rainy the next. So I'm hopeing I can mentally take it in Portland, I know I just want something w/ a view of something, other than flat city skyline or miles of freeway! The winters from all the data I've read seem to be close to Houston other than we only have about 2 real month's of it. IE like this week it's been hot half the week and cold and rainy the up till today.
I found this for a wine steward:
Wine Steward Salary in Portland, OR | Indeed.com
$27k equals about $13/hr at 2,080 hours per year.

I moved here in June from the Cleveland area, and used to work for a company whose 2nd HQ was in Houston. From conversations with co-workers who spent much time between the two cities (CLE & Houston), they often said costs were similar. That said, my spouse/I have estimated the COL in our area (we live in Northern Clackamas County) to be about 130-135% of what we used to see in NE Ohio. Hopefully that gives you a reasonable benchmark.

I'm not going to comment on the amount of rain, since I haven't been here a full year & this has been a rather mild winter, but I must admit to absolutely loving the PDX climate - never too hot and never too cold. I don't mind the rain, if it means the climate is one where I don't have to shovel the precipitation, nor sweat like a pig as soon as I step foot outside in August.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM

343 posts, read 692,956 times
Quote:

Sounds to me like Portland would be a good fit!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times
I agree with wanderbygrace's estimate of 130-135% higher cost of living as compared to Austin, too. It sneaks up on you with gas and water bills, and groceries.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
115% is what this websiteModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed says.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland