Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 PM
wtg wtg started this thread

15 posts, read 76,979 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm looking to move to Portland in the next couple months. I love a lot about the city from the times I've been there, but a few concerns remain stuck in my mind; any thoughts from natives or recent relocaters would be much appreciated:

1)Are people friendly and easy to meet? Or are they standoff-ish? (a huge generalization, granted--but I've lived in very friendly cities and very unfriendly cities, so I know there's often a vibe one way or the other)

2)Really, just how awful is the weather? I'm coming from the East Coast and hate the 100-degree, humid summers, but I'm not sure I can hack 9 months of rain and cloud-cover either. Is it as dark and depressing as it's made out to be? How have others from sunny locales adjusted?

3)Does anyone know of good apartment complexes in downtown or close-in that allow dogs? Ones to avoid at all costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
"1)Are people friendly and easy to meet? Or are they standoff-ish?"

I'd say the people are polite, but I didn't find it easy to make new friends when I lived there briefly after college (and I grew up there!) If you are young and "alternative", you will probably have a better shot. Something about the weather, I believe, makes people somewhat shy and reserved compared to other parts of the country.

"2)Really, just how awful is the weather?"

Depends on what you define as awful. It is dark and damp for a LONG time. People who grow up there are often immune to the weather, but if you are from the East Coast you will probably be shocked just how cloudy and dark it is. With that being said, the outdoor activities and landscapes, coupled with a very nice downtwon, are often more than enough for some to overcome the weather issues.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info -- reading some of these threads is kinda filling me with dread! I've been to Portland a few times and have always found it a cool, interesting place.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:45 AM

18 posts, read 80,629 times
Portland is like one big hip neighborhood where people don't put themselves out there too easily, maybe for fear of looking un-cool or looking overly eager or something. I can barely get a nod out of people most of the time but that's just been my experience. I grew up in Chicago where people but themselves WAY out there so most of the people I've connected with here are from places back east.

The weather definitely takes some getting used to but I wouldn't say it's awful. It does stay pretty dark during the winter months but there seems to be enough teaser days of super nice weather throughout the year to keep you going. The fall is gorgeous and the spring is long and green. The summer is absolutely lovely. Clear and bright with no humidity. Unfortunately, it's hard to know how the weather will affect you until you live it.

As far as apts. go, I can't say I know of any that are more dog-friendly than others. I know Portland people love their dogs though (they are everywhere) so my guess is that you won't have trouble finding something that works for you. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:59 AM

How close is the city to sunnier climes? (Like in Seattle, once you cross the Cascades you can get a sunshine-fix.) Are daytrips to sunny areas a possibility in Portland?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:03 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Yes. A person would do the same thing they do in Seattle to get some sun. You go east along the Gorge.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I love the city of Portland itself, lived there for seven years. I lived in SE in Mt. Tabor area most of those years, very nice at the time. I found the people very friendly and laid back, but that was about 5-6 years ago. I know people from everywhere are moving there, so changes the social climate some.

The weather, as everyone knows is TERRIBLE! Except for native Portlanders who love the rain!! Don't understand it. But there are special stores selling the SAD lights, had to get those to survive! I would go nearly every weekend east on I 84 to find some sun. But is incredibly beautiful area and a wonderful place to visit--in summer and fall.

If you are into apartment living, NW area has many, many very cute apartments. The industrial area has become "beautified" with loft apartments, etc. Dogs are everywhere in the area, so I imagine for a hefty pet fee, you can have a dog most places. I had to pay over $400 to have my cat! But was a very nice apartment complex in NW, and got to be on the top floor, away from the noise of the area. Had a lovely little patio area, lots of shade trees, was very eclectic. If you like crowded, active and bustling city life with lots to do, wonderful restaurants, little bookstores and coffee shops, and on the liberal side, it is the place for you!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:37 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
You need to take a extended visit out here before you move here, you need to come in the winter or spring, or even the fall, Don't come for 6 or 7 weeks in the summer and the sun is out and think this is wonderful. You need to know that this is a very dense city with a urban growth boundary around it, it is traffic clogged and getting worse and worse. They want you on transit here to say the least. Expect for the most part for the population to be different that where you come from, people will not jump out and say hi to you, unless they are panhandling you. I don't understand that lack of friendlines here, it really is a very small metro area, I quite frankly am tired of always having to say hi or start a conversation. I will tell you I don't feel badly anymore when I go somewhere and say hi, and get a blank stare and no reply. I saw a elderly man fall on the max train yesterday, and actually saw young strong looking guys stare at him when he asked if someone could help him to his feet. Myself and another guy helped him up. Its a different way of life here, there are wonderful people here, I don't know its just much more difficult to connect here, people do seem rather standoffish, until you put out alot of effort to get them to speak. All in all it is you that has to know what bothers you and what doesn't, what is a good fit for you and where you should live. I do think anyone moving anywhere needs to spend a lengthy time in a new city before packing up and moving there, I did learn that in my experience. A few visits doesn't always cut it, visiting and living are two very different feelings.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 AM

112 posts, read 716,770 times
Default Weather

One thing you should know about the weather is that its a trade off. Meaning that it rains and is overcast and gloomy from late Sept up through April or so. That doesn't mean you'll go that entire time without sunny days, it just means chances are it will be cloudy, rainy, overcast, or party cloudy. Portland is pretty far north...if you follow its latitude across a map of the US, you'll see that Portland is farther north than most of New York state and about half of Michigan. Being that far north means that winters nights are longer than usual, and it does get dark early. I'm not talking Alaska dark, but you'll notice it if you're from the southern US. The trade off however, is the summers are great! The state stays green thanks to all the rain it receives prior to summer, and the sun set is fairly late in the evening during the summer months. You come to appriciate the difference in seasons, and look forward to the differences between them. Humidity? Nope...I lived in Texas for awhile, now that's humidity, Oregon gets a nice blast of fresh air off the Pacific Ocean, it keeps the air fresh and crisp. Just like Seattle, you can drive east to get over the Cascade Mountains where you'll find drier climates, less rainfall and more sunny days if you're having a run of SAD during the winter months and need a getaway.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 AM

110 posts, read 491,234 times
Default Portland pros and cons...

I moved to Portland from Texas about 10 years ago. I was so struck by the beauty, the ocean, mountains, ease of getting around, etc, etc...that the gloomy weather didn't phase me at first. (After 10 years, I need more sun again, so I'm heading back to Texas.) But I'll tell you that it is not the happiest move for me because I feel like one of the main reasons is the climate. If there was more sun here, I'd probably stay. Sorry to say that, but that is reality. However, I have had 10 very happy years here that I'll remember fondly. It really didn't get to me until a few winters ago. So..if you are ready for a change, you'll be fine!

Honestly, the biggest cons for me are the climate and the introverted, shyness of many people here. But once you get to know them, they are wonderful just like anywhere else. But there is definately this quiet, shyness thing that I don't fully understand...and it takes time to penetrate this.

My only other major concern is the drug problem here. I live a very clean, healthy life with my son, who is in 3rd grade...and I get very annoyed when we go for a bike ride through downtown and some guy is shooting up behind a tree three feet from the bike path. That is really sad.

BUT...having said all of that, there is much more good than bad here. The beauty of the area and the fact there are enough outdoor activities to fill a lifetime, easily overcomes the negatives. I would recommend walking the neighborhood you are interested in and see what kind of people are around. Some have many more druggies than others..and you can tell pretty easily, believe it or not! I personally think that despite the negatives, it is one of the best places to raise a child.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland