Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

So what it will all boil down to is more reduced service and higher fares.

Well, I guess if they have to they have to but how will they be paying for yet another new MAX line?

TriMet: Why is there a budget shortfall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,528 times
Good question.

On the other hand, if they just did a little actual enforcement, they might actually see enough income. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen folks hop on minus a ticket, and not even give it a thought.

Most folks are honest about it, but it's amazing the number of people who aren't.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 PM

43 posts, read 106,456 times
what happens is they need money soooooo they increese faires and reduce services, then even les people ride and they need mor money soooo they reduce servics and increase faries, then less people ride and they need more money..........................then poooooof. our once grate transit system is reely getting messed up.!!and get rid of WES.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
Good question.

On the other hand, if they just did a little actual enforcement, they might actually see enough income. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen folks hop on minus a ticket, and not even give it a thought.

Most folks are honest about it, but it's amazing the number of people who aren't.
Actually the number of tickets trimet has given out has gone up tremendously. Personally the only issue I see with our rail system is that we have too many stations that are on the honor system. It should be easy to set up turn bar entrances (or whatever it is called) on the stations that have a separated entrance to get to the platform. Obviously this wouldn't work downtown because of the way our transit is set up, but if the city is going to get rid of the fareless rail zone, then it would be easier to have people riding the trains downtown to monitor fares or something.

But even just the little bit would probably reduce the number of people not paying for transit.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MILBID View Post
what happens is they need money soooooo they increese faires and reduce services, then even les people ride and they need mor money soooo they reduce servics and increase faries, then less people ride and they need more money..........................then poooooof. our once grate transit system is reely getting messed up.!!and get rid of WES.
Yeah, as messed up as our "once grate" language.

I don't think that simply installing turnstile entrances at stations would work. You'd have to have guards monitoring the stations as well. Kids would just jump the stiles, and the older folks would pay for the tickets. Just like they tend to now, without the turnstiles.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM

43 posts, read 106,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yeah, as messed up as our "once grate" language.
Thanx, your a peach. luvyatoo. nWhy the hate? did you have to do that? SO-SAD.

Last edited by 12MILBID; 02-09-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
Good question.

There are quite a few people who have monthly or yearly transit passes, so they don't need a ticket.

I know there are some cheaters as well, but no everyone without a ticket is cheating the system.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, I guess if they have to they have to but how will they be paying for yet another new MAX line?
Wasn't a lot of the new line paid for through federal, state, and city money? I always thought that mainenance and operating costs were the real problem with TRIMET funding?

I think it's ridiculous that they are going to slow down already too slow MAX service. Three trains an hour during non-rush hour is a joke. It's just going to make less people ride. I mean seriously go to any other US city's light rail/subway and see if they run trains every 20 mins?!?!?!

It is a perpetuating downward spiral isn't it.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Wasn't a lot of the new line paid for through federal, state, and city money? I always thought that mainenance and operating costs were the real problem with TRIMET funding?

I think it's ridiculous that they are going to slow down already too slow MAX service. Three trains an hour during non-rush hour is a joke. It's just going to make less people ride. I mean seriously go to any other US city's light rail/subway and see if they run trains every 20 mins?!?!?!

It is a perpetuating downward spiral isn't it.
I am not clear on the funding but if that were the case, why would TriMet accept it if they couldn't keep up with the maintenance and operating costs?

MAX has been slowed down and so has bus service. It seems every year it gets less and less.

It would appear they have taken on more than they can handle.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
The real problem is that fares Do Not even begin to cover costs of operation. The balance comes from fees levied against business. If you paid anywhere near the cost of that train ride while you sip starbucks, you could be in a cab. It's a great deal for some. For others its a cost without a lot of direct benefit. The way things are going with the migration to the city of many affluent professionals. You might want to support the light rail so your maid can get to your house. The displaced folks have the long ride in as time becomes the premium and the cost to live further out lessens.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland