Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times

Advertisements

"North Portland" probably wouldn't have a large active Jewish community. I do know a couple of great guys who run a clothing store in St Johns however.

Squidlo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,863 times
Default 30,000

30,000 - wow, that's 5% of the city's population. that seems like a very signficant presence for a city of portland's size.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:16 PM

252 posts, read 953,221 times
Kornblatt's is on NW 23rd as is a Rose's. Both are supposed to be NYC style Kosher delis.
Compared to what I grew up with in Phoenix, they aren't but I'm not from NYC or Jewish.

A friend of mine is a florist in the Raleigh Hills area, she does flowers for tons of Bar Mitzvahs and Bat Mitzvahs. Hope I spelled that right. I've been a florist in several other areas of the city and suburbs and never done any in over fifteen years. Never sold a Hannukah centerpiece or did a Jewish wedding either.

I don't even know any Jewish people here. If there is any kind of a Jewish neighborhood here, I'd love to find it because I miss the real boiled bagels, corned beef and brisket I grew up with in Phoenix.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I used to go to Noah's Bagels, there are several locations in the city. One is kosher (or used to be), I think the one in SW Portland.

Noahs.com :: Welcome to Noah's Bagels

Last edited by lilypad; 12-02-2007 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
The largest Jewish community I'm aware of is between the Hillsdale and Multnomah neighborhoods in SW Portland; basically right near MJCC. There aren't many shops / delis in the area, but frequently see othodox (Chassidic?) Jewish men out for walks in the neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 PM

I think Kesser (orthodox shul) moved over there near Chabad house. They used to be in Corbett area near John's Landing.

www.kesserisrael.org

Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM

252 posts, read 953,221 times
IMHO Noah's Bagels aren't real NYC bagels. They are OK but not what I miss.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
For a good deli, go to NW 23rd or 24th street. I forget the name of the restaurant, but they have great corned beef and matzah ball soup. Most in the area will know it if you ask them where it's located.
You definitely want Kornblatt's on NW 23rd. The owner is from New York. You can buy New York style bagels there. Many years ago in the 40's and 50's there was a Jewish community in N Portland and a smaller one SE. These days it's around Mittlemans which is SW.

You can find a temple for almost any denomination though. There is a beautiful historic landmark synagogue in NW Portland that is Reform. There are Conservative, Traditional and I think a Reconstructionist temple as well. There is even a Shepardic synagogue. You can look them up in a phone book or online.

But there are not many of them. I think a lot of Jews in Portland are unaffiliated.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM

I knew of the Kornblatt's downtown, but they closed that location. Did not know of the one on NW 23rd. Is it kosher?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,604 times
Hi all, I run a couple of programs in Portland for Jews in their 20s and 30s. Welcome to Portland ybbeth!

Portland has a wonderful Jewish community and is now offering some great programming for young adults. To get a sense of the general community go to [url=http://www.jewishportland.org]Welcome to the Jewish Federation of Greater Portland's Webpage![/url] and download Shalom Portland which lists all the synagogues and organizations in our town.

For young Jewish Portland email me at urbanjewspdx at gmail.com and I will add you to our list so you can get weekly updates of our events. Next week we are planning a film festival at a local theater/pub showing awesome short films by young Israelis. We do hikes, potlucks, concerts, discussions, and pretty much anything else people want to plan. I even run a program that gives people seed money and mentorship to create their own events and groups.

Portland is a wonderful place to live and the young Jewish community is coming alive.

Sarah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland