Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,917 times

Advertisements

So I finally got the job offer I've been waiting for. I'm officially moving to Milwaukie within the next 3 weeks.

Since it's official now, I've got a few questions when it comes to apartments. I will be moving up there with a friend of mine (both in our early 20's). I'll be working in the Milwaukie, and he will be more than likely working in the same general area, possibly Clackamas.

As far as apartments go, how strict are most of the ones from your experience on requirements. The reason I ask, is because at this very moment with the job I currently have, I don't make enough to cover 3x of the rent to qualify at some places. I do make more than 2 times, and with my new position after the training period I'll be making enough. I do have perfect rental history over the past 4-5 years at 4 different apartment complexes, as well as good employment history with the same company (who I will still be working for in Portland).

The only other problem is that I will be moving about 2-3 weeks before my friend is, so he wouldn't be there to sign a lease with me or to help qualify. I'd have to have him added to the lease once he did move in (mid-december).

We're just going to be looking for a decent 2 bedroom apartment with washer/dryer, or hookups at the least, near where I'll be working, or within a reasonable range. We're looking to keep our monthly amount below $600 a month including all bills, so rent should be around the $900 range, but cheaper if possible.

So if any of you have any info on the whole apartment situation I'd greatly appreciate it. Or if you know of any specific complexes in that area that'd fit what we're looking for. Any other tips or pieces of advice welcome too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You will have something from your employer to show what your salary will be? No landlord is going to consider what you are making now. You leave that job when you move and so that income will no longer exist. They will look at what you will make in your new job.

As for the roommate, email him the application and have him fill it out, sign, and fax back. I would not rent to a new tenant who intended to move in a roommate that I could not screen. I would want an application from the potential roommate before I agreed to rent. A copy of the lease can be emailed or faxed or over-nighted to him and he can sign it and fax it back. he has a job waiting for him that can be verified? Or savings he can show proof of?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM

343 posts, read 353,466 times
Or from the perspective of somebody who has to play the rules a little; there is a series of apartment complexes on causey loop, look up 8800 causey loop, happy valley or, to put your search in the correct neighborhood. (That's my old address). I would advise as well to send a copy of the rental agreement to your friend and get their info. You can even put his/her current work info on there to push the 3x barrier. Once your in, most of those complexes don't care as long as you can pay. And yes they can screen somebody who is not around as long as they have the right info in hand. Also bring in a paystub from your past work. the cool thing is that its the same company, so you are not lying about a switching jobs. Good luck and enjoy your new home, that's a beautiful area.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,238 times
As an alternative, you could stay in a hotel for a while. I just checked Hotwire and you can stay in a 2 star Clackamass hotel with Free Parking and Free Breakfast from 12/16/12 - 01/13/13 for $1,214.13. That would get you all of your utilities as well and would give you and your friend time to look for an apartment together when he arrives.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually found an apartment and had my friend's girlfriend (who currently lives in Portland) check it out. We put in our application, paid a deposit, and are currently just waiting on a call from them. Since it's been a week since we applied, I'm hoping to hear from them soon as I plan on leaving for my 3 day drive to Portland tomorrow. Hopefully I can sign my lease on Saturday when I get there.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Hope it works out for you. Have a safe trip!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM

After a 6 hour drive, 14 1/2 hours the next day, and 13 hours the final day... I finally made it here to Portland. The apartment issues seemed to work themselves out. We got approved. I'm going in to sign the lease tomorrow morning (assuming something at the apartment complex doesn't scare me off).

Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Welcome home!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,238 times
Hope you are settling in okay. Let us know how things are going if you get the chance. I'm curious about you initial thoughts on Milwaukie as well as what specific neighborhood you decided on.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM

I actually ended up in an apartment that's in Gladstone, right near McLoughlin. My office is in Milwaukie on the border of Gladstone, so it worked out. It seems like a nice area so far. I honestly haven't ventured much into Milwaukie aside from just along McLoughlin Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: