Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When I was at Oregon State, all the students used umbrellas. If you lost one it wasn't a big deal, just go to Lost and Found and say, "I lost my umbrella. It's black." Two minutes later you would have an umbrella again.
I love that!

I like umbrellas with pretty pictures. I have one with cardinals (the birds not the Priests) and one with Marilyn Monroe. Another solid purple. I have a very old large one with Kliban Kitties which unfortunately needs repair but I don't know of any umbrella repair shops so I just keep it for sentimental sake.

I used to have one of those that kind of wrapped around you that was clear plastic. I loved that one because you could see through it and it protected you down to your waste almost.

I have all sorts of umbrellas. I guess I am an umbrella junkie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM

745 posts, read 1,586,118 times
every year you go thru an umbrella. They always rust or break. So each year you get to buy a fancy, new one! That being said, you get used to being wet. Just make sure your shoes don't have holes in them (like some of mine do because they are old). Your socks and feet will be wet all the time.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
every year you go thru an umbrella. They always rust or break. So each year you get to buy a fancy, new one! That being said, you get used to being wet. Just make sure your shoes don't have holes in them (like some of mine do because they are old). Your socks and feet will be wet all the time.
That's how you discover your shoes have holes in them.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The wind is a problem but there are the kind of umbrellas that are multi-layered that are supposed to work well on windy days. I have never tried one so I can't say whether or not they do. If you find they are an inconvenience and many do, by all means do not use them. But if you like them don't avoid using them just because someone told you it isn't "cool" or you won't "fit in." In other words, don't be one of the typical Portland Sheeple.

Carrying an umbrella will not get you arrested. I promise. The cops have better things to do.
Quote:
I know! Even here in Dallas wind is a big problem during rain (of course we tend to have drenching rain with thunder). My umbrellas tend to turn inside out and once I almost got lifted by a gust of wind when I wouldn't let my umbrella go.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,160,886 times
Quote:
I don't remember ever having had an umbrella rust. And I have several that are a lot of years old.

I wear Birkenstock sandals year-round, and rarely get wet enough that it's noticeable. I may not spend as much time outdoors as you, but still ... it's not a given.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM

745 posts, read 1,586,118 times
every umbrella i've ever had has rusted and eventually broke. The rods are made of metal, at least the ones I bought were. So every year i end up buying a new one. If you don't spend as much time outdoors as someone who uses mass transit, then yes, your umbrella is not being used enough to rust or break.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:00 PM

I use mass transit and I use them all the time. I have never had one rust but I have had them eventually break. What I do now is alternate between a couple of them so they last longer. But my next one will be one of those so-called wind resistant ones to see if they really do.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,604,910 times
Not gonna lie, the rain does get a little tiresome sometimes. Seems like every time I want to walk the 6-7 blocks to the gym from my apartment on the weekend I show up drenched. The umbrellas though become a hassle to store and carry around. I have a golf sized umbrella that rarely every leaves the house. Most PNW'ers wouldn't be caught dead carrying a novelty sized umbrella around anyway. Rubber boots and water-resistant jackets with hoods are most popular options.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 PM

40 posts, read 79,978 times
Great information! Thanks! If I head out this way looks like I need to make some severe clothing investments. :P

What about every day life with dogs? Does your home smell like wet dog a lot? Does it make it harder/messier to take them with you for outdoors activities? Etc.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,657,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornJuju View Post
Great information! Thanks! If I head out this way looks like I need to make some severe clothing investments. :P

What about every day life with dogs? Does your home smell like wet dog a lot? Does it make it harder/messier to take them with you for outdoors activities? Etc.
Train the dogs to wait at the door to be toweled off. My dog waits patiently for me to wipe each foot even lifting it for me. Keeping the dog bathed will avoid any real wet dog smell. They sell doggy smell good stuff you can use while brushing em out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland