Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times

Advertisements

Mine would smell like wet cat if she went out in it which she won't.

Actually, my apartment does smell a bit dampish after many days of rain. Like a lot of apartments of its age which dates back to right after WWII, insulation is poor and the dampness seeps in. I don't have the heat on at night so in the morning it smells a bit musty. I turn on the heat and that helps dry things out and takes the dampness away. Including sometimes the litter box smell.

I could see where damp dog could be a problem under these circumstances as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
every umbrella i've ever had has rusted and eventually broke. The rods are made of metal, at least the ones I bought were. So every year i end up buying a new one. If you don't spend as much time outdoors as someone who uses mass transit, then yes, your umbrella is not being used enough to rust or break.
You must be using it wrong ... the metal is all underneath the umbrella, and really shouldn't be getting wet.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
The last 3 weeks I have been heating exclusively with the wood stove, which is a dry heat. The dogs dry quickly, and have no detectable odor. The house smells doggier in the summer than it does in the winter.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:25 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
Just looked at the NWS page for PDX. "I'm dreaming of a wet Christmas, just like the ones I use to know". In this case, literally.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM

638 posts, read 1,179,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornJuju View Post
What about every day life with dogs? Does your home smell like wet dog a lot? Does it make it harder/messier to take them with you for outdoors activities? Etc.
Definitely messy, but our house doesn't smell like wet dog. The rain is so light that she doesn't get very wet just going outside for a minute or two. And like Squidlo said, we trained her to wait to have her feet toweled off when she comes in, and there is a towel on the floor in front of her doggie door. We also have baby gates blocking off the carpeted area and we leave her in the non-carpeted area with access to the doggie door when we leave the house. We learned all this last year after having black puppy footprints everywhere The yard stays very squishy from November to June or so. Mud boots or shoes are good to keep by the door.

As for umbrellas, I find that for the light rain here I like hats and hoods better. I like having my hands free. Even just a knit hat with a fleece over a long sleeve shirt works great for most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland