Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM

345 posts, read 835,631 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about Orenco Station, but from what I have seen and read of it, Orenco seems like the perfect example of new urbansim, transit developments, and an example to other cities to build great developments such as this.

Being that I don't know much about it, how successful is it? It looks really good as a design, idea, etc. but is it serving its purpose? Is there a reduced amount of car traffic? Do many people use the light rail who live in Orenco? Is it very pedestrian friendly and does it have good pedestrian activity? Are the businesses successful?

Also, how many people live there, density?

Sorry for all the questions. I was intrigued by the concept of this development, that I hope is still doing well after 12 years. Anyways, I was just wondering....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 313,034 times
Personally, I don't think of it as all that urban, though it may be just a bit by Oregon standards. I'm not sure how you would define success, but urban environment for me would mean a self contained area where you could walk to most of your needs within a 1/4 of a mile or so. That would include groceries, restaurants, bank, post office, and misc. other commercial stores. Orenco Station doesn't have hardly any stores to speak of, nor do I think there is sufficient demand or immediate population to support a widespread presence in new retail stores. Much of it requires a healthy walk to get to the MAX station. I would google "Orenco Station" and read about the few minute blurb on Wikipedia for starters.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,470,369 times
Reduced traffic? No. But then a lot of companies have built there/nearby after the train was put in place, which would account for traffic more then anything.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,568,890 times
Orenco Station was a convenient place to go for lunch or after work drinks/dinner when I worked down the street at Intel, so I appreciated it for that. At least there were a few decent places to eat that were a step up from the usual fast food and chain restaurants in most of the area.

If I still was working at Intel I might consider it as a short-term place to rent close to work... You've got a New Seasons there, so that's a plus as far as grocery shopping and there's a farmer's market on summer weekends. You still will have to drive for a lot of other errands, but you've got the MAX if you want to go for some drinks/food in downtown Portland and don't feel like driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland