Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM

161 posts, read 387,610 times

Advertisements

So after spending a couple of days in Seattle my family and I finally made it to Portland. We've been waiting for so long to be here but now that we are here I have to say that my first impression was very dissapointing. We took a long drive, from Hayden Island, Downtown NW, Forest Park, Beaverton, Tigard, Lake Oswego, Milwaukie, and up the North east. The ONLY place we really liked was of course a small part of Lake Oswego that we can't afford. All the rest seemed like just a big urban sprawl, not very well taken care of (overgrown grass along the highways and streets) and very blue collar. The city loooked over industrial and the river even more so. It just doesnt look like a relaxing environment. I had such high expectations about this place I'm really bummed out... Did I drive the wrong parts of town??? What am I missing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 PM

347 posts, read 669,953 times
What were you expecting exactly?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 AM

Well obviously not what I found.... I guess it would be more open and organized... outside dontown it looked to me that there were houses everywhere but not in any defined neighbohoods. And the main streets out of downtown were lined with car lots, fast food and chain restaurants. Like I said there was a lot of overgrown city areas that just looked not well taken care of. I expected the river to be more pleasurable and not have the "port" look and feel. ( that was when my husband pointed out that the city name is "PORTland")... Anyway... not looking to offend anyone, Just hoping that I am really missing something.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
So I get that you went to downtown Portland and Forest Park and then to a bunch of suburbs--but did you actually go to any neighborhoods in the inner NE or SE neighborhoods of Portland or even somewhere in SW Portland like Multnomah Village or Lair Hill?

Because there's a ton of neighborhoods in Portland with nice homes and older commercial strips with locally owned businesses and absolutely no fast food or chain restaurants. And the river is a working port and industrial to the north of downtown but to the south of own it's completely different.

I don't know really what you were expecting or where you went, but maybe you just didn't really know where to go either...

Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
It doesn't sound as though you were in any of the neighborhoods that have a lot to see and do. Did you go across any bridges into either the SE or NE areas? There are lots of small neighborhoods with interesting shops and places to eat and entertainment. I think you just bypassed them.

Also there is Washington Park downtown with the zoo and the Rose Garden. Were you downtown at all? I always recommend going to the Visitor's Center in the middle of the downtown Pioneer Square that has all the information on where to go and what to see with brochures and people to advise you.

But if you did see these places and didn't care for them, well, you can't please everyone. We don't know what you were expecting so maybe you could tell us what that was.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 AM

We will take another drive tomorrow and visit some of be places you guys suggested. Thans for the input!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Check out Alameda (NE Fremont and 15th area is a good place to start) then drive up to Fremont and 33rd area which is called Beaumont. Then cut down south to the Hollywood neighborhood (visit the library and areas near NE 41st and Tillamook), Drive down SE 39th (it's an ugly street so cut over into the side streets to see beautiful homes) check out Hawthorne, Woodstock (Woodstock and SE 45th area), then drive down Woodstock towards SE 39th and thru East Moreland, then you'll hit Westmoreland and then hit Sellwood (SE 13th and Bybee area). Then you can cross over to SW Portland, up to Multnomah Village, and the hills, cut back to downtown and drive thru Goose Hollow, SW Vista and the SW hills, NW Portland both NW 23rd and 21st, WAshington Park, the rose garden, etc. Then cut down W. Burnside and curve to the right on SW 10th so you can make a left onto 10th and take 10th all the way down thru the Pearl District (14th, 13th, 11th and 10th are all good Pearl areas to drive thru). Stop at Tanner Springs Park, Jamison Square or check out the brand new park called The Fields which is opening today (Monday). Then go over by the park blocks/directors park/Pioneer Square and PSU to see some of the downtown core. I agree with what other people have said--you bypassed Portland and instead travelled the outside areas. And yes, you did see sprawl because you went to the suburbs and outer areas, not inner Portland at all. And streets leading out of town in just about every city tend to be more fast food like and ugly. There are TONS of neighborhoods in Portland. If you do a google search on Portland neighborhoods you'll find all sorts of descriptions. Sounds like you saw non of them. Oh yeah--take a drive or tram ride up to OHSU--great view of the area and it's like it's own little city.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
BTW, we drove to Vancouver Canada a few years ago and the drive into the city is hideous. If I thought that was Vancouver I'd have missed all the amazing parts of it. Roads in and out of cities tend to be pretty industrial, strip mall like or simply ugly.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,906 times
Can you explain what it is exactly tha you were expecting? What does "open and organized" mean? How many times did you visit before you moved to Portland?
There are a lot of manicured homes/areasof the city and yes, they will most likely be the most expensive to live in. There are plenty of other folks too in the city who dont find a manicured lawn/home to be a priority.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM

686 posts, read 1,768,688 times
Leave your car at a Trimet Park & Ride and ride to Pioneer Square. Walk or hop on Trimet bus, Max, or Streetcar to experience the town: Portland State University on the south to Pearl District on the north; waterfront on the east to about 12th avenue on the west. Don't forget to stroll down the Park blocks.

Visit the Nob hill neighborhood: Burnside-Northrup and NW 20th Av - 24th Av.

Visit the hilly neighborhood south of Burnside between the stadium and SW Vista. Try the Washington Park while you are there. Ride the bus (#51 I think) up to the Zoo.

Mind you, this is all just on the west side of the city, and only areas in or near downtown. You will need three or more days to sample these areas. I think, until then you should use your car only to get to/from a Park & Ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland