Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM

137 posts, read 239,460 times

Advertisements

Ah the invisible knapsack lives on

http://www.deanza.edu/faculty/lewisj...20Knapsack.pdf

Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Ah. Liberals. Well like another poster said because you're the majority, I'm sure you wouldn't care about "insignificant" minority issues.
A real issue in Portland is the police department's relationship with the black community(along with how they deal with suspects in general). That's an issue. As a journalist years ago I actually covered it years ago during a period after a several police shootings of unarmed suspects, when there were a lot of concerns about the culture of the police and use of force by Portland cops. The gentrification of North and Northeast Portland and the displacement of a lot of the black community when home prices went through the roof was another issue that people were concerned about... These are actual "issues"...

The donut isn't an issue to Portland. It's an issue to you. You have a problem with Voodoo Donuts than do what I and most people who dislike the place do--don't shop there...

Last edited by Deezus; 05-10-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Everyone here is white, so there are no racial issues when everyone is the same race.

But if you want my opinion as someone who grew up in the upper south and went to a high school that was 1/3 black, Portlanders, by and large, are very awkward around minorities, especially black people. It's nearly painful.

Both statements are untrue.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I did not immediately look at the donut and think "blackface;" I thought it looked sort of like Gumby.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I did not immediately look at the donut and think "blackface;" I thought it looked sort of like Gumby.
Same here. Maybe green frosting?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I was thinking it was a "Day of the Dead" caricature in a rather awkward donut imposed pose.

OP: I think you're still missing the point. Portlanders by and large simply do not see that as racist. It doesn't even cross our minds as racist, heck most people really don't see race except to be afraid that they'll be accused of racism. Why, because for the most part we simply do not have the cultural baggage that MAKES that racist. You can argue the right/wrongness of that all you want, but most people here are simply going to roll their eyes and go "whatever, it's a donut dude!"

I floated this picture past a couple of African American friends (including an ex-gf,) and a coworker saying "tell me the first thing you think when you see this picture. Would you believe that not a single one of them even mentioned that it looked racist? One wondered if it came in maple, one said "Voodoo Donuts?," and my ex said "I think I gained weight just looking at that." When I mentioned the "racist" part, all three gave me a weird look. Their responses were:

"Well, if you're still stuck in the 60's... maybe."
"Really? Racist? It's a f***ing donut!" (ex-GF)
"Uh.... OK."

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Voodoo originated in the Caribbean. It was a religious practice of slaves who originally came from Africa.

It is probably most associated with the nation of Haiti where the population is overwhelmingly of African descent. To a lesser extent it was practiced in New Orleans (described not long ago by its mayor as Chocolate City) by people of African descent.

Knowing all of this, why would anybody think that a chocolate covered doughnut shaped like a voodoo doll is racist? Shouldn't it just be considered historically accurate?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling357 View Post
Oh wait yeah I'm from the east coast
I see what you did there.

Last edited by sezzam; 05-10-2013 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Rephrased

Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
I think I found a video of Anders on you tube complaining about the racist donut.

racist voodoo donuts - YouTube

Apparently, Portland is full of offensive donuts

The Portland Mercury | Blogtown, PDX | A New (Non-Racist?) Donut For Dozono

Swahili studies - in a doughnut shop? - CSMonitor.com

I'm surprised these people didn't raise hell about the racist donut. I mean they had to have seen them?

My cousin is Oregon. Found this rather interesting donut at a place called Voodoo Donuts in Portland. - Imgur

I'm offended.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That doughnut doesn't look like a white man in blackface to me. it looks like a chocolate covered cartoon ghost. Like maybe something out of one of those badly drawn, no talent, TV cartoon shows.

I'm very curious about how OP would put eyes onto a cake with decorating frosting without them looking "bulgy".

It looks obvious to me that OP will not fit in well in Portland, so OP I suggest that you keep looking for your place to live, where the population is more sensitive and delicate.
Ashland comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland