Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times

Advertisements

I made a thread complaining about things I don't like. What are some things you do like?

I like:

*Forest Park
*The abundance of bars, even if they're all kinda clones of each other
*Food carts. A decent gyro is never far away!
*Relatively cheap groceries
*Ground Kontrol
*The fact Canada is only 6 hours away
*Lone Pine Cemetery
*Kolbeh's Persian buffet
*Hawthorne Boulevard, especially Dwaraka
*All the video poker machines
*Tolerance of people who aren't religious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,713 times
Weather,
close to nature
gardens
Powell's Books
Powell Butte Park
Joy Teriyaki
Coffee
cheap healthy food at Grocery Liquidator stores.

It's just a really good fit.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
Perfect Summer
Short plane ride to S.F.
Great airport that will take me to my fave cities
Nice drive to Seattle
Great teachers at kids' school
Good prices for organic foods
Farmer's markets
Funky neighborhoods
Downtown shopping
The Pearl
OMSI
Comfortable lifestyle( no stilettos required)
Powell's Book
Rose Garden
Japanese Garden
Oregon Zoo
OHSU fireplace
Portland Nursery
Elephant's Deli near NW 23rd
Beautiful tree lined streets

Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
1. It's far better than Illinois, and 2. My destination sooner than later!

Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 AM

146 posts, read 300,394 times
Yankeemama -- Just out of interest, which school(s) would you recommend?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 AM

358 posts, read 470,989 times
* Christmas in the city
* Driving over the Fremont at twilight
* Coffee/Food/Cocktail Culture
* Arts & Entertainment
* Uniqueness of the neighborhoods
* Natural Beauty
* Vintage Buildings and Craftsman Homes
* Powell's Books
* Human Scale

Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dent_arthur_dent View Post
That's an unanswerable question because it depends on your child. My son went to the school where I believe her kids go for a year. It had 35 kids in the 3rd grade (large class sizes in general), was full of really high powered parents who raised tons of money for the school but expected top notch everything, etc. It was a fantastic school test score wise. HOWEVER, the class size thing was a big deal for my kid and for that reason despite the "fantastic test scores" it wasn't a good fit for us, plus I couldn't relate to the other parents.

Now he attends a MUCH lower performing school but he has 20 kids in his class instead of 35, they don't have as much money raised so they don't have as many fancy things but parents are still involved and I have made friends with other parents, who are a really mixed group. My son is doing well there and learning a lot.

So, while there are certain schools that have higher test scores than others, it doesn't mean it will be the best school for you. And lower performing schools tend to have more diversity both income wise, class wise, and racially. So again, depends what's important for you and what works for your child.

If you just want to go based on test scores, on the east side Alameda, Laurelhurst, Beverly Cleary/Fernwood, Buckman,
Abernathy, etc. all have great scores. You can view all the data on the PPS website.

I urge you to recognize though that test scores don't always tell the whole story. Another great school that has mediocre scores is Grout in SE. It's a fantastic school with an amazing principal but has a number of Somali Bantu and Burmese students who are refugees, ESL and whose parents may not be able to help with homework or have literacy issues themselves. That in turn affects test scores but that doesn't mean it's not a good school. Plus the diversity brings a lot to the school.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dent_arthur_dent View Post
Send me a PM and tell what your criteria is for kid's education and I will go from there. The schools vary quite a bit depending on neighborhood and on Special Education needs. There are contained classrooms for Spec Ed at only some schools so that is a consideration. You def. cannot go on test scores from the PPS website if your student has Spec. Ed needs.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,816 times
What she says about SPED is VERY true.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
That's an unanswerable question because it depends on your child. My son went to the school where I believe her kids go for a year. It had 35 kids in the 3rd grade (large class sizes in general), was full of really high powered parents who raised tons of money for the school but expected top notch everything, etc. It was a fantastic school test score wise. HOWEVER, the class size thing was a big deal for my kid and for that reason despite the "fantastic test scores" it wasn't a good fit for us, plus I couldn't relate to the other parents.

Now he attends a MUCH lower performing school but he has 20 kids in his class instead of 35, they don't have as much money raised so they don't have as many fancy things but parents are still involved and I have made friends with other parents, who are a really mixed group. My son is doing well there and learning a lot.

So, while there are certain schools that have higher test scores than others, it doesn't mean it will be the best school for you. And lower performing schools tend to have more diversity both income wise, class wise, and racially. So again, depends what's important for you and what works for your child.
Oldintype, I tried to rep you but had to spread love around! EVERYTHING she just said! I just read this after I posted my answer. YES, yes and yes. There are so many factors in considering a school appropriate for your child here in Portland. There is so much to consider in regards to public education. As Oldintype mentioned... having a foundation means parents raise money upwards to $200,000. annually here and that money is used to pay for art, P.E., math teachers, etc. It is wonderful that we have these extra classes for our kids but there can also be an extra element of entitlement on the parents' and the offspring's part. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I struggle with this daily as I want my kids to gave the values that I was reared with. Money cannot buy you class... or integrity and respect for others. Oldintype... we may actually know each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: