Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,107 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm a Washington native so I've been to Portland a few times, just quick visits though.

I am currently writing a book that takes place there and was wondering if any Portland natives could just jot down their feelings or observations of living in the city. Tell me about the good, the bad, describe the ambiance from a native's eyes, especially the things or places non-natives might not know. Do you enjoy the place or wish you could just get out?

Especially as my book is a young adult novel, I would love any input on Portland teens you can offer. What as a whole are they like, where do they go, what do they do for fun etc?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 11:52 AM

892 posts, read 2,393,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarissaAnn View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm a Washington native so I've been to Portland a few times, just quick visits though.

I am currently writing a book that takes place there and was wondering if any Portland natives could just jot down their feelings or observations of living in the city. Tell me about the good, the bad, describe the ambiance from a native's eyes, especially the things or places non-natives might not know. Do you enjoy the place or wish you could just get out?

Especially as my book is a young adult novel, I would love any input on Portland teens you can offer. What as a whole are they like, where do they go, what do they do for fun etc?

Thanks everyone!
You should try to pick up a "Finder," it's an annual special issue of the newsweekly Willamette Week. You can order them online, or possibly get someone in Portland to send you one for free (they're free when they come out). It's packed with the kind of information you'd benefit from, and between that and web sites and some maps (also available for free) you'd have everything you needed to "set" a story in Portland pretty convincingly.

Also, if you're interested in watching documentaries about Portland, check out this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-portland.html

Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Here's an award winning documentary from a little different perspective. If you have On Demand or streaming HBO you can watch this video. I don't know if it's available for renting.

HBO

Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
"It was a dark and stormy night..." would be applicable descriptive phraseology to employ.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
You could always try living in Portland to get a first hand experience, that is what Chuck Palahnuik did with one of his books. Though he painted a picture of Portland that no longer exists.

What is the book about? Does it focus on anything specific or a specific part of Portland?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Chuck Palahniuk lived in Portland, because he lived in Portland (actually, still lives in the metro area). The book he wrote about Portland (Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon) was part of a project that the publisher did, getting authors to write about their hometowns. I disagree that the Portland of the book no longer exists. It very much does. I happen to know someone in the book.

To the OP - yours is a tough question to answer. It's so open ended. We'd really need to know some specific questions, or situations, I think, to better answer.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
"It was a dark and stormy night..." would be applicable descriptive phraseology to employ.
The weather isn't that bad, though December is pretty dark and rainy, while January is a little drier but colder. One thing most people don't mention is the east wind out of the Gorge, which can be very cold. Cold air flowing out of the gorge at ground level and warm, wet air off the pacific can lead to freezing rain. The rain falls through the cold air. Sometimes it becomes supercooled, and you can actually hear the "crack" as it flashes to ice when it hits something, like car windshields, power lines or the sidewalk. Ice storms mostly hit in January or early February. February also always gets at least 10 consecutive days of sunny weather, though if the wind is from the east it can be cold.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The weather isn't that bad...
“The first rule of fight club is, you don't talk about fight club.”
- Chuck Palahniuk

Old 10-24-2013, 06:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
“The first rule of fight club is, you don't talk about fight club.”
- Chuck Palahniuk
When I use to work at a hotel in Portland and someone out of town would ask me if it is always raining here I would always say yes, and that it is really depressing which causes us to drink a lot.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Try YouTube

portland oregon - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: