Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times

Advertisements

According to Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS 675.523) an individual may not practice clinical social work unless the person is licensed or certified by the Board. Oregon Revised Statutes provide the following exceptions:
  • A person who does not practice clinical social work
  • A person who is licensed or certified by the State of Oregon to provide mental health services provided that the person is acting within the lawful scope of practice for the person's license or certification and does not represent that he or she is a regulated social worker;
  • A person who is certified to provide alcohol and drug abuse prevention services, intervention services and treatment in compliance with rules adopted by DHS under ORS 409.410(2)(f) and 409.420(1) provided that the person is acting within the lawful scope of practice for the person's certification and does not represent that he or she is a regulated social worker;
  • A person who is employed or contracting with an agency or organization that is certified or licensed with the State of Oregon under ORS 430.610 to 430.695 to provide mental health treatment or addiction services, and does not represent that he or she is a regulated social worker;
  • A person who is a recognized member of the clergy, provided that that person is acting in his or her ministerial capacity and does not represent that he or she is a regulated social worker;
  • A student in a social work graduate degree program that meets the requirements in OAR 877-005-0101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
I see, so it's okay to not be licensed as a Social Worker (part of which requires having a degree) ... as long as you don't represent yourself as a Social Worker.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:17 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Steve, you're mixing up a bunch of things and think you're correct, but you're not. You're mixing up what the definition of a licensed clinical social worker is, vs a MSW, vs a BSW and also, what people who perform social service jobs are able to do, where they work, etc. There are generalist social workers, masters level, and licensed clinical social workers. All have different regulations but can't refer to themselves as anything they haven't met the requirements for. Social work degrees are professional degrees, you can't refer to anyone working in social service positions as a social worker, just like you can't call anyone who puts a band aid on a child a doctor.

And the fact is that you are NOT allowed to call yourself as a social worker in Oregon, or many other states, unless you are l registered or licensed and have a BSW, MSW or LCSW (testing is required to be registered/licensed and you have to provide degree transcripts). You can call yourself a social service assistant, or a social service worker, or a caseworker, or whatever you want to call yourself as long as it isn't social worker, which is a protected title. You have to be a registered social worker with a four year degree or a masters degree (whether that's just a MSW or the more professional LCSW) to call yourself a social worker in Oregon. Each degree also requires 500-1000 hours of internship in the field.

There are no social workers in the state of Oregon with a 2 year degree. If they are calling themselves such they are in violation of the NASW and the law.

You're misinterpreting the information. Call the NASW and ask if you don't believe it.

To the other people posting--government jobs are only a small percentage of social work jobs. Many social workers are private practice therapists, work in hospitals, schools, private sector, do community development, etc. Only a fraction are government workers.

This is another example of Steve just trying to be PITA.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
There are several thousand 2 year degree "Non" Clinical Social Workers in Oregon.
No there aren't. There are several thousand people working social service positions but they're not social workers.

No 2 year degree earns you the title of social worker. People like you like to refer to people as social workers because they don't understand what the requirements are to use the title.

I guess I should call myself a vet because I cleaned out my dog's cut today. Oops, that's right, I'm not one.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 AM

You call 'em what you want. The rest of us know they are welfare to work social workers.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm not calling anyone anything. I'm referring to the rules of a national professional organization.

You obviously have no respect for the profession--surprise surprise. Hope you never need a therapist, or have a medical emergency, or need help as a senior because a good number of the people who provide assistance in those situations are social workers.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Everyone knows a social worker needs at least a bachelor's degree. Period. Community colleges do not produce a four year degree. Period. That's it. It is impossible, Steve, since a two year degree is not a four year degree. I come from a family of do gooders and a few of them are social workers. Social workers are professionals in this country. They hold a four year degree. Anything less is not a social worker but something else.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 PM

I found three current two year programs for Oregon Licensed Social Worker . One right here in Oregon at Warner Pacific. Also all the online schools offer two year completion bachelors in Social Work.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Basically it sounds like Steve recanted and agrees that a Bachelors degree is required to be a social worker. Case closed.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I found three current two year programs for Oregon Licensed Social Worker . One right here in Oregon at Warner Pacific. Also all the online schools offer two year completion bachelors in Social Work.
They do? Perhaps you ought to tell them that they should list such a thing, since you know they have it. Apparently they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: