Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,729 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Portland last December. As I was crazy busy with my new job and getting settled in, I didn't have a chance to go up to Mt. Hood. I'm a big snowboarder, so I'm wondering which of the two main resorts would be better to invest in a season pass with.

I'm sure this will be a pretty simple question to any snowboarders out there, as one of them has to be superior. But I could be wrong. What are your thoughts? Looks like the deadline for buying a cheaper season pass is fast approaching, so I'd like to make that purchase this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Meadows, hands down, not even a constest

Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Yeah, Meadows is where everyone I know seems to go.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 AM

682 posts, read 1,579,245 times
Meadows is better for the season pass.

Timberline is better for the lodge and for the late season/summer skiing.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
The cool thing about Timberline is that the pass allows you to go to both Timberline and Mt. Hood Ski Bowl. And this year the pass allows you to go for three free days each to a bunch of other ski areas across the Western US(though this only matters if you're travelling to those areas). Both passes are the same price if you buy before November 3rd.

In terms of terrain Meadows in superior though, overall. Timberline is pretty flat and more a begginner/intermediete hill except for a few tree runs and the Palmer lift up top(which is more a summer thing, since they don't open it that often in the winter and when they do it's a free snowcat rather than lift). They do have very good parks at Timberline though if you're a snowboarder into tricks and that sort of thing. Mt. Hood Ski Bowl has awesome experts terrain and bowls up top(steeper than Meadows even) and great night skiing, but it's really small and the low elevation means that it sometimes gets rain while it's snowing higher up earlier and later in the season. But, I have fun at Ski Bowl usually.

Meadows on the other hand has more of a Colorado/Tahoe vibe as far as being a medium-sized ski area. There's some things I dislike about it though--it's very, very crowded on weekends, even more than the other two and they sometimes don't open the good terrain in Heather Canyon and Clark Canyon due to heavy snowfall and avalanche danger. They have some good terrain parks though maybe not as good as Timberline, but overall the natural terrain is much better than Timberline.

If you just want a consistently good and fairly interesting sizable ski area to explore in terms of terrain, go for Meadows. If you're the kind of person who likes low key and funky ski areas and wants a really long extended season go for Timberline/Ski Bowl. I usually buy a Meadows spring pass(which will start March 1st usually) for a really cheap price if snowfall looks good at that point for March/April--and then just buy day tickets earlier in the year on powder days.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 PM

95 posts, read 116,833 times
What Deezus said - he pretty much nailed it with the advice on this question. I'd second that while Meadows has the overall best combination of terrain and snow quality, when the snow is good, the very best terrain is often closed due to avy danger and the crowd factor is high if its a weekend day with good snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland