Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 AM

65 posts, read 107,644 times

Advertisements

Oldtintype - thanks for the information! I'll keep that in mind.

Hamellr - That's really good to know, if a bit disappointing. Unfortunately transferring from a local company just isn't an option - there's almost no IT at all locally to me.

Sounds like I'm going to be fighting an uphill battle, regardless.. I don't know a single soul in Portland, and while I have some networking experience, and am A+ certified, that probably won't give me much of an edge if there's tons of locals with Help Desk knowledge already there.

However.. this is where I staked my future (both IT and Portland), and I'm willing to work a less than ideal job (such as for Stream, Xerox or Comcast) to get the experience and get into a better position. I'm a late bloomer (24 and just graduated from a 2-yr school) and IT was something I was decent at already and could get a degree in quickly.. so.. I just have to take the hand I've been dealt (and to a degree, made for myself) and play it.

It's my ten-year plan to specialize into networking administration, anyway, which is a significantly higher pay grade (but will take a few years to get decent enough at to get a job).

If most of the IT jobs are in Beaverton, I'll definitely look for a more westward location. Assuming the traffic, not the distance, is what makes the commute so long. (unless I'm wrong about that? it seems like Portland, as a city, is rather small, though, and it shouldn't take an hour to drive from Montavilla or Alberta to Beaverton, so I'm guessing it must be the traffic).

I'd really like to hear more from you, though. You're the first person who's been able to tell me a lot about the IT field in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistKick View Post
If most of the IT jobs are in Beaverton, I'll definitely look for a more westward location. Assuming the traffic, not the distance, is what makes the commute so long. (unless I'm wrong about that? it seems like Portland, as a city, is rather small, though, and it shouldn't take an hour to drive from Montavilla or Alberta to Beaverton, so I'm guessing it must be the traffic).
Actually, it's the terrain, which in turn affects the traffic. Going from the east side of the Portland area to the west, you first have to cross over the Willamette River. There are 7 bridges, but still ... that's only 7 ways to cross the river. Next, you have to cross over the West Hills ... which more precisely are the Tualatin Mountains. There are only two major routes across them.

So yes, traffic is a problem. But it has nothing to do with the size of the city, its the geography.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistKick View Post
I live near Montavilla and for a short while I was commuting to Intel in Hillsboro. If I got up early enough the drive wasn't bad to the westside, it was just going back which was a complete mess. I could make it to work in like 25 minutes driving, but getting back could be well over an hour with traffic. For whatever reason the traffic going east was way worse than going west on Highway 26. The MAX is an option to get to Beaverton or Hillsboro, but that can take a while as well--if you're the type that doesn't mind getting a lot of reading time on a pretty long train ride it is a possibility(like 40 minutes to Beaverton or over an hour to Hillsboro)--and then that depends if you work close to the MAX or need another bus to get somewhere.

As far as Montavilla goes--it's cool. It's got enough good restaurants and bars to keep one occupied and a nice little movie theatre(also close to good Asian food on 82nd), though it's not as big and lively as inner SE or NE areas. It's not too far though to go to Hawthorne/Belmont from there(just right over Mt. Tabor) which has a ton of places--and really it's a straight shot on the bus to get downtown(20 minutes). I live on the better side of Montavilla--though I think as long as you don't leave anything in your car, you've already avoided the most common crime here which is just car break-ins. It's worth a look, only you can really make the decision if the neighborhood feels cool or boring to you...

Last edited by Deezus; 01-11-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 PM

EnricoV - Wow, I had no idea about the mountains. That's pretty wild! But.. definitely makes for rough traffic!

Deezus - I wouldn't mind a long train ride, but.. I don't know. I mean I'd prefer as short of a commute as possible.

Ultimately, what it's looking like is where the job is will be the biggest determining factor, and then where I can actually *get* a home. After all, it won't help me if the job is 2 miles from Montavilla but I can't rent a house there.

I do appreciate all the help, though! And, it seems like no matter where I end up, so long as it's in Portland itself, I won't lack for places to get vegan chow, hang out with other LGBTQIA+ folks, walk my pooch or just generally enjoy the scene, which is awesome.

I'll still definitely try to get a job on the east side of Willamette, though, and check out Montavilla/North Tabor and Alberta/Kerns.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Just keep in mind ... you're going to go back and forth to work every day. You're going to go grocery shopping, to the bars, to restaurants, less often. It's easier to travel to those places and live closer to work.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM

True, true, EnricoV. I'll do my best to get somewhere close to work, then. I'm the kind of person who's a real home-body, and outside of a once-or-twice weekly grocery trip, maybe once-a-week outing to a restaurant, and once-or-twice-a-week visit to the dog park (depending on where I end up, and how convenient the park is), I likely won't go out too much. Well, unless I make a lot of non-homebody friends, which is entirely possible.. Eh.

But the closer I can get to work, the better, since, as you've put it so succinctly, I'll be driving back and forth from there 10 times a week.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Don't forget Trader Joe's as an alternative (I also like Grocery Outlet as they end up with lots of food - including organic - from the more expensive stores). For many of us, safety is not a huge deal. Check out the stats -

Finding an apartment for your dog can be a bit challenging, but with your budget, it may not be a huge problem. Suburbs are fine IMO as well.

First trip here, if you can, take a few days and just explore. There are so many different varieties of neighborhoods to get a feel for the general area. If you don't have the time for that, then yes, go for the job and enjoy your adventure.

Some employers are using SKYPE for initial interviews. It can help save some time.

There is a website called PortlandMaps On it, you can put in an address or intersection and check out all sorts of demographics, including crime stats. You may like that.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
On the east side of the Willamette, there is also Milwaukie which is a small city about 8 miles south of downtown right on the Willamette river, from downtown and it may offer some great rental options. 99E runs north and south and although traffic isn't great, it usually isn't as snarly as hwy 26. No mountains right there and several side street choices.

There are some "back ways" to Beaverton, should you need to go there for work. Across the Sellwood bridge, up the Terwilliger Hill, across I-5 and then West on your choice of streets, really. You can avoid Hwy 26 entirely if necessary.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM

Ah Doc, that's very helpful! And you guys have Trader Joe's, too?! O.O!!!!

(if I seem over-impressed, remember again that the nearest Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to me is.. um.. 300 miles.. and also, the organic selection at my local stores is a joke, and the vegan options are basically nil)

I'm actually hoping to be able to do a Skype interview in place of a phone, or even in-person, interview, but I won't cross my fingers. I'm definitely going to take a week to come up, hopefully do some face to face interviews, and just check out the neighborhoods.

And I'll keep that 'back way' to Beaverton in mind should I end up there for work but in East Portland for living, haha.

Oh, but do you think getting a duplex or house would be less difficult with a dog than an apartment? He's not a very big dog (about 50, 55 pounds) and extremely friendly, and I'll be taking his certificate of Obedience School as well as a recommendation letter from his primary vet, to help his case as much as possible.

I'd really prefer a house with a yard, ideally a 2-bd, 1-ba unfurnished place, or even a townhouse if I can get one.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
I do think houses are easier, as they are more likely to be rented out by the owner than by a manager or company, and you can meet and talk to the owner. We had no problem finding a rental with 2 large dogs when we moved. However, we were in the burbs (Milwaukie)- might have been a bit tougher in a more housing-competitive area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland