Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:22 PM

19 posts, read 30,655 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for reading this and any advice you have on the areas.

Currently I live a couple miles outside of washington DC in northern virginia. I am in the process of trying to convince the wife to move out to the portland area because I feel we need a fresh start and a better place to raise our daughter and future kids. She wants to do about a year of research and money saving before making the jump and essentially giving me a year to convince her. We are taking a week vacation to portland in May for my birthday to see some sights, go on our first family vacation and get a look at the areas. A couple things we are looking for...

Good-great school system, obviously the better schools are a huge plus
Looking for alittle more suburbia feel but like the idea of looking out the back door and seeing tons of trees and mountain landscapes.
Cool stuff to do around ton or close areas to do family activities.
Like places that we can go walk the town and visit parks and shops.
Low crime
Family orriented neighborhoods
Looking for houses/townhouses under 200k
Im confident I can transfer over with my company to find a job and my wife works from home but I'm looking at getting a job with a police department, so if anyone knows how that market is I'd love feedback on departments and availability.

again, being from DC we are use to ghetto, high crime, terrible traffic. Obviously looking for a big improvement but dont expect nirvana.

More than happy to clarify

The areas I've looked into so far are, beaverton, sherwood, oregon city and st helen. Thanks again for any info, also would love pictures if anyone has them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Compared to DC all the schools are good and all the neighborhoods are safe.

With that said, check out SW Portland, but as everyone will tell you, find out where you're going to work and worry about where you live after that. Though as Portland is mostly a series of neighborhoods you're "a little more suburban feel" applies to both most of Portland as well as the suburbs. I have been only to DC and Arlington, VA but most of the Portland neighborhoods would be urban in the way Arlington is urban--close to stuff, old bungalows, but not super dense.

People will claim the Portland School District sucks. Compared to DC school system it will be your own nirvana. No school here has the extreme problems of there, even our worst.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 PM

I work for bestbuy and can literally go where ever one is open, all the while applying to police departments. My wife and I lived in the city and grew tired of it fast and like more suburbia, leaving arlington/alexandria and out in fairfax suburbs now. I appreciate the feedback but if you could give any more details about the outlying areas around portland I'd appreciate it.

I guess I should clarify, I'd rather live outside portland and have a short drive into the city than live in the city.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 PM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
There's a Best Buy at 82nd and Johnson Creek, so you may want to check out the Happy Valley area. If you're looking for suburbia, it's there, and many places have incredible views of Mt. Hood. Milwaukie along the 224/Lake Rd. area might work as well.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Pretty much all of the Best Buy's (like most big-box type stores) are in the suburbs. Any of them would be acceptable IMO, and go for a suburb nearby. The most problematic store would be the one at Jantzen Beach or the one near the airport. Best neighborhoods for those locations would be Vancouver, and then you have the commute to contend with. Because you only have to make your way over the river, I'd say they'd be okay ... just wouldn't be my first choice.

As for police departments ... with those, too, I'd look at the suburban towns and counties, and avoid Portland and Multnomah County.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Portland Police Department has had weak leadership and Multnomah County Sheriff's office is known to be the first social worker on the scene. The problem with the Sheriff's office is that the city of Portland carves a huge donut hole in their area of responsibility, they spend a lot of time on the road.

Agree with the above on Best Buy locations. SOME DAY in the future the I-5 bridge between Portland and Vancouver must be upgraded. Given WA attitude about funding (state wide) that will mean a toll and to manage volume both the I-5 and the I-205 bridges will be tolled. Your kids may be in college by that time but it is a known risk with an unknown date of impact.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Any reccomendations as far which suburbs? schools, communities and such

Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
People will claim the Portland School District sucks. Compared to DC school system it will be your own nirvana. No school here has the extreme problems of there, even our worst.
Sure, but the OP is from NoVa, not D.C. A lot of the NoVa districts are going to be higher rated than many of ours, and Fairfax is generally considered to be quite strong. There will be comparable schools in the Pdx metro, but certainly not all of them.

You can look up a Best Buy store map online. But agree with crisw, Happy Valley schools are strong (though rental prices there are high right now, but buying will be much cheaper than NoVa). Likewise there are some good districts around the Tanasbourne store (Sylvan).

Agree with EnricoV that Jantzen Beach is to be avoided as a work site, though I will say that a reverse commute there won't be so bad. North-bound during morning rush is fine, as is southbound in the eve. The hitch being what school district would you be in? Almost all of NoPo is going to be well shy of NoVa standards. If you're going to be farther east near Alameda, the commute to the Cascades store is probably preferable anyway.

Of course, the business pundits seem to think Best Buy is due for some contraction, and which stores might be gone in 2 years I can't say.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Of course, the business pundits seem to think Best Buy is due for some contraction, and which stores might be gone in 2 years I can't say.
Agreed, which is why I would recommend the Beaverton location on Cedar Hills Blvd. That one isn't likely to go anywhere anytime soon. I just have to believe that somewhere in Beaverton, can be found good schools and a nice suburban feel to things.

H

Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM

I read that sherwood have really good schools but from what I saw on google maps it looked kinda rural
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland