Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM

65 posts, read 107,644 times

Advertisements

Hey again folks.. after my one good-looking job fell through, I was contacted by a recruiter from a different company. He said they were really interested in me on account of my education and work history, except.. well.. I'm not in Portland. We talked a while longer, and the long and short of it was 'until you live here pretty much nobody will hire you'.

Fine, fair enough. But just getting a job takes time - this guy called me from a 3-weeks-ago application, and it'd be at least 3 more weeks before the job would start. So even if I was living in Portland when I applied, I'd be without work, even if I was the one picked for the job, for at least 4-6 weeks.

My problem is the city I live in is economically dead; without a bachelor's degree you're pretty much out of luck for anything better than a $7.25 an hour, 20-30hr a week job in the customer service sector, typically retail/food service. And since it'd take $15,000 to move myself up to Portland and live without a job for 4 months (a very generous estimate) but I only have a third of that, I have a bit of a rough situation. Staying here to start a career is suicidal; staying here to make savings would take literally years. There seems to be no lack of jobs in my field (IT, and I'm capable of everything from Help Desk to Field Service Tech to anything in between, and have a customer-service background which widens my net even further) in Portland (and none here), but if I'm never going to be selected over a local, I don't have any chance of getting the job anyway.

With 5k I could basically get up there, get an apartment (with a hefty deposit because, you know, no job) and be financially secure for.. maybe a month. Month and a half at best. With credit cards I could probably extend it to 2 months, adding even more risk to the situation.

So yeah.. I either have to take a moderately high risk (in that I'd have to try to get a job within 2 months absolute maximum, and even then I'd be stuck living wherever I was relative to the job, close or far), or else remain where I currently am for who knows how long while slowly, agonizingly slowly, building up a significant savings..

Unless anybody has any alternatives - say, it's possible to rent a room for a couple hundred a month, giving me time to find work without being committed to a 12-month lease and without destroying my meager finances. Or maybe there's companies who will hire on a phone or Skype interview in lieu of face to face - or pay for the plane ticket up there and back for an in-person interview.

The fact is I'm desperate, and willing to scrape by temporarily on very little if it would net me a job. Staying here isn't really an option, and I really don't have anywhere else to go.

Any advice welcome.. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistKick View Post
There seems to be no lack of jobs in my field (IT, and I'm capable of everything from Help Desk to Field Service Tech to anything in between, and have a customer-service background which widens my net even further) in Portland (and none here), but if I'm never going to be selected over a local, I don't have any chance of getting the job anyway.
Comcast, Xerox/ATos and Stream are always hiring Help Desk People. The problem is that they all go on to Desktop support/Field Tech positions later on so these positions have dozens and in many cases, hundreds, of applicants. The unfortunate truth for Portland's IT industry is that it's all about "who" you know.

If you're that desperate to move, I'd go ahead and try for one of those Help Desk jobs to keep you going and then go from there.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,603 times
There are always jobs willing to hire someone out of state if you already have a date set. I was hired after two phone calls and a Skype interview and what definitely helped was knowing the exact date of me moving. So first things' first... set a date. Maybe a couple months from now, but you'll be able to put it on your cover letter and start actively planning your move. Next step is to learn to be the best interviewee in the world. That may take a bit more time, but it's important to practice a lot and figure out what will make you stand out from local applicants.

In terms of renting a room, you can find something on Craigslist for a reasonable price, but people always want to see folks in person prior to entering an agreement and renting to them. I know I always recommend Airbnb but if you're dead set on coming here, you can stay in someone's room for no more than $50.00 a night (I found mine when I visited for $36.00 a night in Kenton for a couple nights) and look for a room rental ASAP with a month to month agreement...or maybe a six month term. You might even want to stay for the full year just so you can figure out exactly where you want to live permanently.

Another suggestion I have is to apply like crazy to ANYTHING. It doesn't matter if it's in your field or not. A paying job is not only a ticket to Portland but will allow you to immediately start looking for your own place without worrying about renting a room or trying to find a landlord who will rent to you without a job. Or if you're in need of a roommate, it's one less stress for you and them. And once you're here, you can apply for the jobs you actually want.

Just a quick question: staying here to start a career is suicidal... why? Isn't furthering your experience just adding to your resume, even if you stayed somewhere for a couple months?

My only problem is that desperation plus little money equals a very unhappy time no matter where you are. You are totally capable of doing it (hell, if I did it, anyone can), but it's important to be in the right mindset so you don't set yourself up for regret and/or failure.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Hamllr, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

drunkwithwords - very good advice. I actually on a whim checked out a few listings for rooms for rent and am talking to someone, nothing definite yet.

Truthfully, my desperation largely comes from my current living situation. I don't really want to elaborate but it's already pretty miserable - nearly anywhere in Portland would be better almost for sure.

As for starting a career here (here being in Texas), it really is unwise. There's no economy in my field so my experience would continue to be off-target, and the longer the time between my schooling and an IT job, the further I'll fall behind in terms of knowledge and current technology.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I just checked out Craigslist and a non-profit job site, CNRG, that Oldintype recommended. I think you can find one or two, not so high paying jobs and work like a dog. While you are working and just barely making it... you can be actively searching for the job you want. I took a lot of risks when I was young and no kids. All of the risks were worth it... though I worked my butt off. I say... go for it!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Yankeemama - I'll keep those in mind. The only problem for me is I'm young but I have kids - furry kids. And not so many dog-and-cat friendly apartments. I'd hate to leave them here in Texas for two months while I get my act together up there, but.. if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistKick View Post
Truthfully, my desperation largely comes from my current living situation. I don't really want to elaborate but it's already pretty miserable - nearly anywhere in Portland would be better almost for sure.

As for starting a career here (here being in Texas), it really is unwise. There's no economy in my field so my experience would continue to be off-target, and the longer the time between my schooling and an IT job, the further I'll fall behind in terms of knowledge and current technology.
Do you know the old adage about not going to the supermarket when you are hungry? Everything will look good and you will over buy. You shouldn't move when you are in a bad patch. There might be lots of reasons to flee Texas but economy wouldn't be one of them. You are projecting other intrinsics of your situation, some of them possibly personal onto the state of Texas. So you come to Oregon.... I mean... you must have looked at some back threads... it isn't easy for anyone to find a job here! Someone who can't find a job in their own state is DOA in a place like Portland. Establish yourself in Texas, even if that means enlisting one or more individuals with similar goals. There have to be some. Find them. Do not come here unprepared.

H

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
If the OP lives in Texas and wants something Portland-esque, might I recommend Austin, at least at first?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
Also to chime in that hiring out-of-state can be done, and in IT, but you may have to be willing to travel for the interview (and, as mentioned, have a set date.) I was in San Diego, and got three or four phone interviews, came to Portland for a live interview with a company I really liked, and got hired.

And yes, helpdesk-type stuff is hiring here. Add Netflix to the list of big hirers here give above, and Salesforce, which just opened an office (in Beaverton, I think.)

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

679 posts, read 878,486 times
Many years ago while traveling around the United States as a carefree youth, I visited San Francisco, absolutely fell in love with it and decided to stay. I was fresh out of college with no job experience. I signed up with a temp agency and they kept me busy. I eventually got a full-time job with one of the companies I worked for. Perhaps you could do some temping while trying to land a "real" job. It's also a great way to be able to check out different companies.

Second, I think VTHokieFan had an excellent suggestion for you regarding Austin. It is so not Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: