Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 AM

12 posts, read 33,894 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm new to the forums, and wasn't able to find any specific posts on this topic so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I just got offered a job in Beaverton near Scholls Ferry and US-27. It's an entry level position, and I'd be making 36K annually. Is this enough to support the cost of living in Portland for a single college grad? I'd like to live in Portland, but have heard bad things about the commute on US-26. I am currently looking for an apartment on the Westside of Portland, ideally in the Goose Hollow neighborhood (closer to US-26.)

My thinking was that since I"ll be leaving the city, rush hour won't be entirely unbearable, but I was wondering if anyone out there has some more extensive knowledge they could share with me. Also, if you could share any of your thoughts regarding living in Portland in general please do share!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
If you live in Goose Hollow and commute to Scholls Ferry and Hwy 217, your drive should be pretty easy. Take 26 to the Sylvan exit and take Scholls Ferry all the way to work. I did it for years but in reverse. It will be somewhat stop and go but against the main rush hour traffic. Better yet would be to live in the West Slope/Raleigh Hills area. That would keep you off 26 entirely and yet still fairly close to downtown Portland. And yes, $36K should be enough for a nice life here.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 AM

321 posts, read 1,135,470 times
Yes, you can live off 36K a year, especially. if you are getting health benefits. That's 3K a month, or 2200K after taxes. Just try to find a place with rent in the $600-800 range and low utility costs.

The traffic should be ok - most of the traffic is going in the opposite direction (people work in the city and live in Beaverton), so if you keep banker's hours you should be fine. Also, living in Goose Hollow type area is a good idea because if you are young and want to be in the city, it is a good location. You can walk right in instead of driving.

Last edited by sofia76; 05-19-2010 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: corrected "36K a month" to "36K a year"

Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjs View Post
Hello All,

I just got offered a job in Beaverton near Scholls Ferry and US-27. It's an entry level position, and I'd be making 36K annually. Is this enough to support the cost of living in Portland for a single college grad? I'd like to live in Portland, but have heard bad things about the commute on US-26. I am currently looking for an apartment on the Westside of Portland, ideally in the Goose Hollow neighborhood (closer to US-26.)

Thanks!
Sorry--is the job near Scholls and OR-217, or Scholls and US-26? (pretty big difference).

Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Sorry--is the job near Scholls and OR-217, or Scholls and US-26? (pretty big difference).
It is near Schols and OR-217.

Thanks for for the input everyone.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
Yes, you can live off 36K a year, especially. if you are getting health benefits. That's 3K a month, or 2200K after taxes. Just try to find a place with rent in the $600-800 range and low utility costs.

The traffic should be ok - most of the traffic is going in the opposite direction (people work in the city and live in Beaverton), so if you keep banker's hours you should be fine. Also, living in Goose Hollow type area is a good idea because if you are young and want to be in the city, it is a good location. You can walk right in instead of driving.

Yeah I just wasn't sure about any taxes. I heard that the taxation is pretty steep in the Portland area.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
You would be going against traffic if you live in or near the west side of the city and commute out to OR-217 and Scholls Ferry.

As sayulita said, the US-26 to Sylvan exit wouldn't be bad. City street driving all the way down Scholls, but it's not crowded. From a commute standpoint, West Slope/Raleigh Hills/Hillsdale is a good spot to live, as is Multnomah Village, but neither of these is really the city living it sounds like you're looking for. But they may be a bit less expensive than Goose Hollow.

217 can be stop and go even in non-rush-hour at times. It's kind of unpredictable. However, there are enough route choices that you can experiment with the commute.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

I did give some thought to living outside of the city and closer to Beaverton, but I decided that I really wanted to experience city living. I grew up in the suburbs of Seattle, Washington and am attending college in McMinnville, so I got a taste of a small town and suburbia already.

I've also given some thought to the other areas of West Portland, but haven't really considered east of the river yet. Any thoughts on commuting across the river to get to highway 26?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
You could also come down Barbur/99 instead of taking 26, hit 217, and go up to Sholls Ferry. However, 99 can get pretty backed up as well. There are probably some sidestreets you can use to jog over to Sholls - but I don't know that area east of 217 very well.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
I, for one, would not choose to have a bridge between my home and work. It really limits your options if there is a traffic jam anywhere. I'm not sure what you consider "city living". I live in Hillsdale, which is in the city of Portland and about 4 miles from downtown. It's not the suburbs, but it's not downtown. I have to drive to Beaverton to get to any of the big box stores. My neighborhood has small mom and pop stores and a food coop. So while I can't walk to downtown events and attractions, I don't feel that I am more than 15 minutes away from them. If you want to be abe to walk out your front door and go to the museum, downtown restaurants, stores etc. then Goose Hollow would be a good choice, as would the Pearl district. Let us know more about what you want your everyday life to include and maybe we can give better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland