Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM

94 posts, read 183,510 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Oregon is quite different than Oklahoma.
OR has higher cost of living here, hence our higher min. wage.
Specifically gas, utilities, and rent will be higher here. One way you can go around that is to get a 2br house and rent the 2nd bedroom, or rent the garage or basement.
Another way people are going about it is that they are buying these teny tiny houses that is like 300sq ft.
Another way is people live in Vancouver where you have no income tax, but then you have mandatory emissions and longer commute times to work, more gas money. People keep telling me that they'd rather have no sales tax vs no income tax.

Selling your furniture is a good way to go, as if you don't it'll cost you more in gas to haul it here and find a place to put it.
Be careful about pricing, and Price To Sell.
It cracks me up when people try to sell the same couch for $80+ that goodwill is selling cheaper, or I can get for $20 off cl.
People aren't going to pay $100 for a couch that they can get for free, which cracks me up when people try to sell old entertainment centers for $300+ when they're posted all day long on the free list for free lol. People might be willing to pay $20-$50 for a nice couch or bed, and people are paying more for new. When we moved here into our current rental I went from sleeping on the couch to having my own bedroom, which I had no furniture for. I'm currently into my bedroom set up for $20 (for the 2 matching night stand lights, and floor lamp), which I have a desk, bed, table, night stand, and 2 chairs in here which is nice and I payed for my electronic equipment.

Also be very careful about where you go!!! Can't stress enough about Location, location, location!!!
It doesn't do you jack to have a $400/mth apartment if there aren't any jobs in the area to pay for it!!!
If you're like me and like fresh groceries, living in an area closer to say Grocery Outlet or Winco would be very beneficial.
Go Portland area or Seattle area if you want the West Coast, and are looking for work. Don't go CA.
Also do a google search for Hillsboro, Oregon unemployment rate. Hillsboro and Beaverton have the lowest UR rate in the area as that's where a lot of the jobs are.
PS: It's advised you can at least pay 1 mnth rent before coming out here at the bare min. You could also camp out for awhile if you can't find housing before you come up. Summer is a great time to go camping here, it's very lovely.

PSS: It would be very nice if you 2 decided to come out to OR. If you decide you hate it, you won't spend the rest of your lives wondering what if, what if I did end up loving it out there?
I'll be up there within the next month

Last edited by jj85; 02-18-2014 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:13 PM
YaB

26 posts, read 40,809 times
Default Money savings

Hope the moving process goes well with you RoamingZombie!

Reading the thread, I was just curious. What are all your thoughts of an ideal amount of savings, before moving out to Oregon? Or simply, moving to any state?

Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,928,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaB View Post
Hope the moving process goes well with you RoamingZombie!

Reading the thread, I was just curious. What are all your thoughts of an ideal amount of savings, before moving out to Oregon? Or simply, moving to any state?
6 months of living expenses.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,408,928 times
Quote:
... ... Reading the thread, I was just curious. What are all your thoughts of an ideal amount of savings, before moving out to Oregon? Or simply, moving to any state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
With skills ..... Maybe.

Without, or looking for a burger flipping position, plan on a year or even two.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 PM
YaB

26 posts, read 40,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Thanks for your input VTHokieFan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
With skills ..... Maybe.

Without, or looking for a burger flipping position, plan on a year or even two.
I appreciate the response Steve Pickering!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,408,928 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input VTHokieFan!

I appreciate the response Steve Pickering!
No worries mate, Anytime.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 PM

9 posts, read 10,615 times
I want to thank everyone for their input. Unfortunately my plans has change. My wife passed away this afternoon and I don't know what I will end up doing.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 AM

12 posts, read 13,794 times
Sincere condolences, friend.
I'm not a regular here, I've only posted once, and it was just before I moved here from Oklahoma, myself, about six months ago, asking for advice, just as you have. But I decided to browse this morning, and your post caught my eye as a fellow Oklahoman that wanted a change.
Please know that if you still want to come up here, there are those of us that would welcome you. Hell, if I had the room, I'd even give you a place to stay - unfortunately I don't. But, this is an amazing place to start over - I can say that from experience. Is it easy? No. Is it cheap? No. But there are ways.
Best wishes to you dealing with the new life that you decide upon, whatever that may be. *hugs*

Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 PM

121 posts, read 163,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingZombie View Post
I want to thank everyone for their input. Unfortunately my plans has change. My wife passed away this afternoon and I don't know what I will end up doing.
I'm so very sorry.....

Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM

334 posts, read 588,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingZombie View Post
Very sorry to hear of your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland