Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:05 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,652,463 times

Advertisements

I had a parking ticket once where I had clearly paid for it, had it in my window, and I came back to my car before expiration with a ticket on my window. I swear, it was the weirdest experience I've had. I've never gotten a parking ticket in my life before that, and I had to kind of laugh even though I was ticked off because I'm thinking are you kidding me? The proof is RIGHT THERE in the window! Yes, on the correct side and all.

I ended up appealing it, but then just deciding not to bother contesting it because of reasons mentioned here. I lived out in Beaverton at the time and all parking near the courthouse is 60 minutes max, so I wasn't sure I wouldn't get ANOTHER ticket just contesting the dang thing. I did in fact go to the courthouse once, file my petition to contest the ticket, and pay for parking then. By the end of this frustrating process I realized that once you get a ticket, even if they are 100% wrong, it makes no difference. If I was working a minimum wage job, maybe, MAYBE I would be able to contest the ticket (doubtful because I'd probably be WORKING at the time!) and have it be worthwhile, but they have it so you basically have to go to the courthouse twice and pay for parking twice, so you're going to be out so much time and some money in parking fees that it's really not worth it.

I know I would have won my case, too, because the lady at the window basically all but said I shouldn't have a problem getting out of the ticket. She said in general, the parking enforcement people are required to take pictures of the car proving there's no pass in the window. She said, "For some reason, your case file has no picture taken and no record of any pictures existing," so it would have been my word against nobody's word since that parking enforcement person wouldn't even be present. It would be me against ... no evidence. Even then, I ended up being incredibly busy with work at the time (I run my own company) and it was between pushing off an important conference call with a client or going to court and wasting a few hours of my time. I ended up just not caring enough to try to get my $60 back.

It's a pretty corrupt, ineffective system overall. I am not a fan of passing more laws, in general, but I think whether it's interpretation of existing laws or passing a new federal regulation, it should be illegal to fine anyone without a court date first. This whole, "Oh, no, sir you are mistaken. It's not a fine. It's bail. See? It's just bail. You're still innocent until proven guilty, you just have to pay the same amount AS IF you were guilty, and then maybe we'll give your money back many months later. Maybe. But not your time or your inconvenience." Uhh, no. Sorry but "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean paying a fine first and THEN getting a court date. That's completely wrong and shouldn't exist in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: