Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:22 AM

13 posts, read 17,273 times

Advertisements

» Nothing is perfect

Quote:
Everything you see and hear about Portland in the media (propaganda) is glowing praise for its “diversity”, “sustainability (a word that sends many Portlanders into various states of arousal), “livability” etcetra and other bull**** like that.
___

Portland Oregon Sucks

Quote:
Portland People
My favorite conversation would go something like this: Me: "So, why do you like living in Portland?", Them: "Oh, there are so many things! I especially love how close I am to both the beach and the mountain!" (keep in mind, that is "mountain" in the singular, not plural.) Me: "Really? When was the last time you went to either?" Them: "Geez, I must have been a little kid, I really don't remember..." Another thing they love to do is tell you how much "outdoors there is here", but then rare is it that you meet someone who actually leaves their house for anything besides a night of drinking.
If you can get past all of that they are what I like to call "superficially nice". You can stop just about anyone and ask the time or for some directions, but don't try to actually be their friend. In general they are still hanging out with the same people they have known since elementary school and they are simply not interested in having any additional friends. During parties a familiar topic of discussion is usually "why is it so hard to meet people in Portland?" with the consensus being that while difficult in other cities as well it's not nearly as hard to make permanent friends elsewhere as it is in Portland. In the two years I lived there I made two good friends and it's notable that neither one of them is a native to the city.

I'm going to "Portland"(U.S) for half a year to improve my English skills, get business contacts and to eat peanut butter as much as I can eat.
Portland seems to me as a beautiful city with great views.

So work does not matter for me. The main thing is friendly people and quality of life ( choice of gyms, greengrocery and fish stores)

Is this the right place
to visit the United States?

I love rain, the fact that it's very green and the modern views: "Last religius city in America" ...

Last edited by RedGuy; 05-14-2014 at 02:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 AM

Will someone please help me?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 AM

10,994 posts, read 20,627,362 times
You are welcome to visit. You may want to contact the Portland Public Schools Russian Language program: Franklin - Immersion - Portland Public Schools They could not offer you employment (visa, teaching credentials) but you might learn how American students are using their Russian language skills.

Positive or negative don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You are welcome to visit. You may want to contact the Portland Public Schools Russian Language program: Franklin - Immersion - Portland Public Schools They could not offer you employment (visa, teaching credentials) but you might learn how American students are using their Russian language skills.

Positive or negative don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Thanks!
Еxcellent! There are people who want to learn Russian? I'd like to help as a volunteer for free if it's possible.

But if even on the internet native don't want to respond! Perhaps I had asked wrong question?
In everyday life in Portland everything will be worse?
Don't people in Portland talk to strangers

Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 PM

95 posts, read 117,120 times
Is Portland really s...so bad?

No, it is not.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,639,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuy View Post
Will someone please help me?
People will help, but you didn't consider the time difference. You made your first post at 1:30 am local time, and your follow up around 6:45. You have to at least wait long enough for us to wake up!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXJ View Post
Is Portland really s...so bad?

No, it is not.
m'kay

How about people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
People will help, but you didn't consider the time difference. You made your first post at 1:30 am local time, and your follow up around 6:45. You have to at least wait long enough for us to wake up!
Thanks!
I know, my bad. But maybe someone has a night shift

Some say that people in Portland are sluggish, but it's perfectly well for me, especially if they speak slowly

Last edited by RedGuy; 05-14-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,639,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuy View Post
Thanks!
Еxcellent! There are people who want to learn Russian? I'd like to help as a volunteer for free if it's possible.

But if even on the internet native don't want to respond! Perhaps I had asked wrong question?
In everyday life in Portland everything will be worse?
Don't people in Portland talk to strangers
Portland actually has a moderate size Russian community, and there are quite a few магазины around, and a temple or two. I was at a clinic the other day on the east side and one of the 4 languages they have signage in is Russian.

So I don't know that you'd have a leg-up on teaching Russian to Americans, but your multi-lingualism may help you obtain other employment, or you could help with social services or translation for native Russian speakers with less English. You could reach out to Russian Oregon Social Services or a similar organization. They may be able to give you a pretty detailed lay of the land on what you could expect and where your skills might be wanted.

There are some other smaller slavic populations here as well. My mechanic is a recent immigrant from Bulgaria, and the local deli where I work is Armenian. They make a decent борщ.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Portland actually has a moderate size Russian community, магазины , have signage in is Russian.
There are some other smaller slavic populations here as well. My mechanic is a recent immigrant from Bulgaria, and the local deli where I work is Armenian. They make a decent борщ.
Thank you very much! Excellent answer!

But I do not understand why to all foreigners recommend their community. If I wanted to communicate with Russians, which in Russia enough - I would not going to the U.S.

Do you think it will be difficult to make american® friends?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,627,362 times
How difficult is it for you to make Russian friends? No different here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland