Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
How difficult is it for you to make Russian friends? No different here.
Pretty much - it will depend on your interests and where you settle. If you like craft beer, root for the Timbers (local soccer club), and love indie music you'll likely have a big crowd of potential friends. Quite a few locals even watch international matches. Likewise, if you're a big church-goer, that's typically an easy way to meet people. Doesn't have to be the Orthodox Church - perhaps you're a Mormon or Lutheran.

If you're really into taxidermy and your favorite sport is cricket...well...you'll have slimmer pickings on the 'best friend' scene.

I wasn't necessarily recommending the Russian community as your primary outlet for socializing, but rather as a place to start to hunt for employment and perhaps a connection to someone who went through the same move you're considering and can advise you of pros/cons/things they wouldn't have done different. If you're an engineer and can work at Intel, employment less of an issue but you mentioned the possibility of teaching Russian so I was guessing you were looking at more general labor, and I'd wager they can give you some tips on job hunting here vis-a-vis your visa status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 04:44 PM

210 posts, read 251,921 times
Portlanders seem to get a kick out of foreigners, so being that you will be somewhat of a novelty, you should do okay.

I hate to say it, but in my opinion, I don't think people in Portland are generally very friendly. However, I have visited St. Petersburg, Russia, and will say that they are DEFINITELY more friendly than the Russians! (No offense)

Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM

53 posts, read 67,257 times
Portland native here. Don't let the bad experiences of one sourpuss dictate your perception of the city. Native Portlanders tend to be very civic-minded and love to show visitors or new arrivals around, especially as you're coming from abroad. There tends to be a lot more animosity towards people who move here from NYC or SF who bring a lot of pretense and tend to compare everything to those cities. Portland is rapidly getting increasingly expensive and cosmopolitan and you know how that brings out the xenophobia in natives, when I was growing up the city was a lot more accessible to all social classes but for many a lot of the change is positive.

I wouldn't broadly paint the people of any city as friendly or unfriendly.. That kind of dichotomous (and very American) attitude will do you more harm than good. Preconceived notions tend to lead to predestined outcomes.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
Portlanders seem to get a kick out of foreigners, so being that you will be somewhat of a novelty, you should do okay.

I hate to say it, but in my opinion, I don't think people in Portland are generally very friendly. However, I have visited St. Petersburg, Russia, and will say that they are DEFINITELY more friendly than the Russians! (No offense)
I concur. Used to travel to Moscow and surrounding suburbs in a previous life to visit customers. Not a friendly place. HOT women though, that was pleasantly surprising.

To OP: I doubt internet answers will satisfy you on this. Take a chance and come here. It is a relatively good place.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 17,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
How difficult is it for you to make Russian friends? No different here.
Unfortunately it is not that easy. So to make Russian friend, you must either fight with him or to drink hard with him
"a friend in need is a friend indeed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
Portlanders seem to get a kick out of foreigners,
and will say that they are more friendly than the Russians! (No offense)
Thanks!
Ha ha! It's DEFINITELY an understatement! Russians are one of the most unfriendly people to strangers (on this planet) BUT! One of the most devoted friends:-) (it does not matter who you are by nationality, don't make doubt of your russian' friend' he would die for you)(this is why Russian "mafia" so strong and Russia is so poor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Pretty much - it will depend on your interests and where you settlecraft beer, the Orthodox Church, cricket...well...

I wasn't necessarily recommending the Russian community as your primary outlet for socializing.
Thank you again! +A
I understood the principle
Great advice, I already have Russian virtual friends in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxchef View Post
Native Portlanders tend to be very civic-minded and love to show visitors or new arrivals around, especially as you're coming from abroad.
Preconceived notions tend to lead to predestined outcomes.
Thank you! Well said!
I agree. Someone who haven't been in the U.S may only be virtually predestined, local people who does not like portland at least have some facts(they saw)

Last edited by RedGuy; 05-15-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Fighting and heavy drinking will not win you friends here and as a foreign visitor our law enforcement may change the date of your return flight to next available after your release from our local jail.

Is that the culture for professional Russian males?

Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Don't do what my Russian friend did. He detoured from Seattle to Tri-Cities via the Gorge. That itself was a great idea; ochyen prekrassni! However, being unable to control his desire to speed, he got pulled over by the OSP for doing over 100 mph (160 kph). He learned in this way that in Oregon, the fine for that is $1000. I'm just relieved he did not try to bribe the trooper, which is highly unlikely to fail, and highly likely to result in imprisonment.

The difficulty making close friends is not specific to Portland. It's true all over the Pacific Northwest. However, a ton of eastern Europeans (including many Russians) settle in Washington, Oregon and Idaho and seem to like it. One especially meets a lot of Armenians and Ukrainians. A former MiG-27 pilot used to deliver pizza to my place in Seattle (I'm pretty sure he's doing something more suited to his skillset nowadays). What is important to understand, I think, is that standard courtesy and friendliness as understood here (the region overall) tend to resemble 'I want to be your good friend' signals as understood in some other countries, probably including yours. It takes time and effort. I made a lot of very good friends in Seattle and Tri-Cities, but mainly of those into whose company I was placed by work and leisure and education.

Why, you may ask, was a former Soviet pilot delivering pizza? I asked him. "Byelyenko brings MiG-25 to Americans and gets pension and dacha. I bring A. and T. [wife and child] instead, so here I am working in pizza." Wry humor about adversity is probably one of Russians' most appealing cultural qualities. "I finally found free parking in Portland. I drove on I-5." I can just see Ilya saying that with a laugh.

The poster who mentioned Russkii magazini was quite right. They're growing more common around the Northwest. If you yearn for kvass (and I'm fond of the stuff), you can find it. The one nearest me in Boise is so Russian the staff even show a proper and complete Russian indifference to customers, even Americans who speak a little Russian (which in other contexts, I have found, tends to stun and delight any Russian visitor or resident).

Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuy View Post
Thanks!
Еxcellent! There are people who want to learn Russian? I'd like to help as a volunteer for free if it's possible.

But if even on the internet native don't want to respond! Perhaps I had asked wrong question?
In everyday life in Portland everything will be worse?
Don't people in Portland talk to strangers
Salem may be a better choice as here is a very large Ukrainian illegal population in Salem. They are easy to find and seem to hangout at Chemeketa.

I know some were looking for translation jobs and did tutoring at Chemeketa.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:15 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Salem may be a better choice as here is a very large Ukrainian illegal population in Salem. They are easy to find and seem to hangout at Chemeketa.

I know some were looking for translation jobs and did tutoring at Chemeketa.
Yes, because Ukrainians and Russians have no reason for conflict.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Saw this interesting factoid just the other day.

After English or Spanish, the most commonly spoken foreign language in Oregon is .... Russian!

Language map: What's the most popular language in your state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland