Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:16 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,051 times

Advertisements

Do you think the extended summer making the vagrants, meth-heads and nut jobs come out in force or is this what we have to look forward to in coming months and years? I'm certianly hoping this week is a one off brought on by an extended summer.

Our usually peaceful metro area has just been crazy the last 7 days.

Home invasions in Sellwood, Milwuakie, Vancouver, and Molalla. (Most people are on edge, I noticed a lot more lighting being used in my neighborhood at night.)

Three armed robberies. 2 banks and a pizza joint.

Three drive by shootings. 1 in SE and two east of I-205.

A meth head stole a cop car and other crashed into an innocent nurse.

Young kids are committing major acts of arson in Beaverton.

2 major road rage incidences, and a man who almost killed a grandfather with his grand kids in the car.

The Gaston man who rammed a copcar escaping after trying to burn his folks house down

Some lowlife stole a special needs child bike and destroyed it.

Someone randomly stabbed a homeless man.

The "police brutality" incident in St. Johns.

A woman raped by an Wa. County incarcerated young sex offender on a field trip to Autzen Stadum <facepalm>

2 major wildfires within 30 miles of Portland. Pretty unprecedented.

Upper 80s almost into October.

Our rivers are toxic (well, more toxic)

I can't wait for this summer to end. Don't get used to the weather transplants, this has been a weird year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Once it starts to rain tweekers and mischief makers stay home.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:58 PM

That's the thing, I'm not so sure. Is there anything that would have made them more brazen? Last I saw, Oregon did not implement any extreme welfare benefits cuts like other states.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,586 times
Where did you get all of this crime info? I don't think I am looking in the right places when I research crime in the Portland metro. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 PM

Koin and oregonlive.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Wow, seriously? It has been such a busy week for me that I haven't had any time to notice any news about crime in the city, though I did hear about the fire near Hagg Lake.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:26 AM

240 posts, read 483,141 times
I'm not sure, but I've certainly heard a lot more police/ambulance/fire sirens lately, especially today. I agree, Andy, that this unusually hot summer has had something to do with it, and yes, people have been on edge. One more day and that should be the last of the 90-degree days this year (knock on wood)!

Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,026 times
Sounds a little like north Houston. Big surge in armed robberies and home invasions in my end of town. I am surprised (and saddened) to hear the same for Portland.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Andy may feel that you are getting some folks migrating into the area as one of the causes.

I don't believe rain will slow crime down too much. The primary drivers of crime are not weather dependent.

Sounds like some community policing is in order on the east side.

I really would hate to see large swaths of Portland devolve into hopeless midden pits of humanity like some other cities.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Reading between the lines, it sounds like Andy may feel that you are getting some folks migrating into the area as one of the causes.
No not really, I was just trying to figure out if cuts to social programs were the root cause. The majority of those crimes were in fact committed by people from Oregon. I have always maintained there is a definite drug/criminal culture among a maddeningly large number of "native" Oregonians. I have never said anything to the contrary. My beef with transplants is horrible inflation of real estate and traffic.

It was very quiet this weekend from the looks of things. So it must have been a fluke...hopefully. Also, the fact that no one sat back and played victim probably deterred would be robbers.

the news today looked pretty normal

36 pit fire spreads. 5,200 acres, level 3 evac, 45% contained
Hagg Lake fire Contained,
Comicon and people who should not be wearing what they are wearing.
Kitzhaber stands under a tent talking to people about stuff and things
Ducks Win again (barely) Beavers win
Portland Timbers beat Vancouver Whitecaps 3 0
Activities to do with kids during fall
Travel to British Columbia and pass through the San Juans. (I'm convinced this is an advertising campaign now)
Stoners are being stereotyped launch safe consumption ads
Dogtoberfest and Race for the Cure

Nice normal boring news weekend in Portland.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
No not really, I was just trying to figure out if cuts to social programs were the root cause. The majority of those crimes were in fact committed by people from Oregon. I have always maintained there is a definite drug/criminal culture among a maddeningly large number of "native" Oregonians. I have never said anything to the contrary. My beef with transplants is horrible inflation of real estate and traffic.

It was very quiet this weekend from the looks of things. So it must have been a fluke...hopefully. Also, the fact that no one sat back and played victim probably deterred would be robbers.

the news today looked pretty normal

36 pit fire spreads. 5,200 acres, level 3 evac, 45% contained
Hagg Lake fire Contained,
Comicon and people who should not be wearing what they are wearing.
Kitzhaber stands under a tent talking to people about stuff and things
Ducks Win again (barely) Beavers win
Portland Timbers beat Vancouver Whitecaps 3 0
Activities to do with kids during fall
Travel to British Columbia and pass through the San Juans. (I'm convinced this is an advertising campaign now)
Stoners are being stereotyped launch safe consumption ads
Dogtoberfest and Race for the Cure

Nice normal boring news weekend in Portland.
Folks in Houston aren't shooting back as much lately. Mebbe that why the criminal element has become bolder. Denny's and an IHOP 5 or 6 miles from my place have been robbed multiple times in the last couple months. They hit the register and rob all the patrons. This I do not wish on Portland.

Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland