Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:35 PM

846 posts, read 609,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I've lived in Mountain View, CA, Eugene, OR, and now Raleigh, NC. I think you'd be happiest in Raleigh. You have better weather overall. Sure it's humid in summer but winters are short and you see the sun more. I assume you want to move to Portland where the jobs are. Living in a place like Eugene is nice but jobs are hard to find. If you move to Oregon you won't see the sun for half the year.

Portland is much more liberal than Raleigh. Op said "open minded" which is a code word for very liberal. I have feeling the OP would be very sad if he/she/other ended up in Cary suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:19 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I've lived in Mountain View, CA, Eugene, OR, and now Raleigh, NC. I think you'd be happiest in Raleigh. You have better weather overall. Sure it's humid in summer but winters are short and you see the sun more. I assume you want to move to Portland where the jobs are. Living in a place like Eugene is nice but jobs are hard to find. If you move to Oregon you won't see the sun for half the year.
Exaggeration as usual. No sun at all for six months, huh?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffys Mom View Post
The problem with Democratic (Liberal) run areas is that they do tend to be poorly managed fiscally, hence the high expense of living. In more conservative (Republican) controlled areas you will almost universally find better fiscal management, better stewardship of your tax dollar, and hence lower costs of living. Full disclaimer... I am neither Republican or Democrat, just aware of the facts.
Actually, Republican-run areas have low cost of living and little demand, because they don't offer any amenities. Poor educational programs, etc. It's definitely cheaper to live in Mississippi or Alabama, but you certainly get what you pay.

Cities like Seattle cost more because the gov't is trying to provide a decent education, decent quality of life, etc.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Portland is much more liberal than Raleigh. Op said "open minded" which is a code word for very liberal. I have feeling the OP would be very sad if he/she/other ended up in Cary suburbia.
It is? That certainly hasn't been my experience.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:13 PM

846 posts, read 609,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It is? That certainly hasn't been my experience.

I forgot. We no live in the world of absolute truth; everything now is subjective. Circles are not really round, 1+1 is not necessary 2, and drugs never harm.

If you mean I should not label, you are absolutely true(truth).

Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I forgot. We no live in the world of absolute truth; everything now is subjective. Circles are not really round, 1+1 is not necessary 2, and drugs never harm.

If you mean I should not label, you are absolutely true(truth).
1+1 is 10.

Any coder can tell you that.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 PM

338 posts, read 421,283 times
Quote:
"Op said "open minded" which is a code word for very liberal."
Portland definition of "open minded": "I'm right, you're wrong, I'm more important than you are because I'm from Portland and your opinions and views don't mean S, so just shut the ... up. I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!"

Newspeak Dictionary definition: One who vigorously attacks anyone that isn't as closed-minded as themselves. (See above.)

Pendleton definition: "Huh. Mm hmm. Yes. Mm hmm. Mm hmm. Really? Mm hmm. I didn't know that. Mm hmm. Mm hmm."

Old 10-28-2014, 04:16 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
The Pendleton definition definitely sounds like a true Oregonian response.

Polite, non-confrontational and non-committed, yet inside they are thinking.......................

Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
The Pendleton definition definitely sounds like a true Oregonian response.

Polite, non-confrontational and non-committed, yet inside they are thinking.......................
Yeah, those types of Oregonians are too polite to actually discuss......basically anything at all.

After 16 years here, I just gave up on talking to a lot of people here about anything of substance, but that's why I love this state, it's like everyone took a Xanax. You are allowed to talk about the weather or sports(most of the time), but that's about it. Mostly just weather though. Don't ever discuss politics or your job or places you've been or lived that aren't Oregon--you're liable to upset someone. Don't be too sarcastic because you're liable to confuse someone. Don't ask about why you can't pump your own gas, that's practically blasphemy.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
In my experience quite a few people in Oregon are like that "mmm hmmm" description. At the bar in Portland people are talking about a whole bunch of insane sounding stuff, though. Conspiracy theories, their dog is psychic, paleo diet, gonna start a leather tanning business, Californians suck, etc. Thirdly I know a lot of east coasters who moved to Portland to be a snowboard/skateboard bro and they always seem like they can hold a normal conversation and are happy to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland