Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating to Portland from New Mexico and are interested in neighborhoods relatively close to PDX, near where I will be working. As I search the forums, it appears the close to airport neighborhoods in the NE/SE and NW don't get glowing reviews. We would like to keep home prices under 300K if possible. Coming from New Mexico (Albuquerque) where crime is pretty high, I am wondering how bad the neighborhoods are south and east of the airport. How about the Maywood Park area? Maywood Park appears to get high livability scores with low crime rates. Looking further out, how long of a commute would it be from the Forest Park area to PDX?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 12:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Check out the Cully neighborhood. It is close to PDX and has easy access to lots of things in the Northeast.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Our searches have included the Cully neighborhood, but we have read both good and bad things about it (I suppose that goes for any neighborhood, in any city). Is 82nd bad regardless of what neighborhood it goes through as it heads south?

Madison South in the area of NE 92nd? I figure that is far enough away from 82nd, if that area of 82nd is as bad as people say it is. Here in Albuquerque, there are very nice, safe neighborhoods just a couple blocks away from a sketchy main thoroughfare.

How about Maywood park? I don't see many opinions in this forum about the area, but it appears to be a nice area with a high livability score.

The property taxes in all the neighborhoods are very perplexing. $2700 for one place and maybe a block away they are nearly $4000 for a nearly identical home. Property taxes in up and coming neighborhoods seem to be very high, yet more established and updated neighborhoods have lower property taxes. Can't seem to figure it out.

So, here is a list of neighborhoods we are looking at...

Cully
Roseway
Madison south
Maywood Park
Montavilla

Thanks again for your input!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,925 times
All of those areas are up and coming. Crime is petty for the most part--theft, stuff like that, though in some areas of 82nd you'll get prostitution. Maywood park is nice. None of those areas are UNSAFE, they're just not always aesthetically pleasing. The closer to 82nd the worse it gets.

I don't think it's like the crime you're describing in New Mexico.

Forest Park to PDX would be a bad commute. Montavilla is a great place to start in my opinion--it's the best of the bunch.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:36 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,908 times
I know people who live in Maywood and Montavilla and can vouch that they're fine neighborhoods. Cully tends to be the go to neighborhood when the news stations want to do a story about unpaved roads.

It doesn't take much off of 82nd to be okay. 82nd is a commercial strip with lots of used car lots and ladies of the night. Every so often, there will be a sting operation to clear the prostitutes.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:10 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,623,659 times
Maywood Park is technically not part of Portland - it's a non-incorporated entity. Not sure that actually matters for your decision - just interesting trivia.

Compared to Albq. anywhere in Portland will likely seem pretty safe. In regards to Maywood or Montavilla, stretches on major roads or abutting the interstates will have significant traffic noise. I think Montavilla is overhyped (basically a nice 350k+ market mixed with a 250k foreclosure market), but 300 might juuuust be enough to get you into a decent place there.

I generally prefer Roseway most of all those neighborhoods, but YMMV. You will tend to get a bit of airport noise in Roseway, but really no traffic directly overhead, so not a big deal in my experience.

Cully is a gamble - if you think the area will continue to gentrify it's potentially the best long-term investment.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,136 times
I vote for Madison South since it is quiet, far enough from 82nd Ave, yet close enough to 82nd and easy to get to the airport. There is Lee k-8 school in the neighborhood T 92nd and Tillamook, right near Rocky Butte. Rocky Butte has some beautiful homes with a view. The home prices in M.S. are in your price range and the area is getting nicer. Many homeowners in M.S. actually take better care of their front yards than homeowners in do evof the more expensive areas. There is prostitution on 82nd but it's not like a really dangerous area.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I vote for Madison South since it is quiet, far enough from 82nd Ave, yet close enough to 82nd and easy to get to the airport. There is Lee k-8 school in the neighborhood T 92nd and Tillamook, right near Rocky Butte. Rocky Butte has some beautiful homes with a view. The home prices in M.S. are in your price range and the area is getting nicer. Many homeowners in M.S. actually take better care of their front yards than homeowners in do evof the more expensive areas. There is prostitution on 82nd but it's not like a really dangerous area.
One of my best friends owns a house in that neighborhood. I have to agree, it is a great area for anyone looking to live in outer northeast.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 PM

I appreciate all the comments...thanks!

Anybody have an explanation for the property taxes? Seems widely varied in the same neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
We have a property tax limitation law that operates much like the one in the Bay Area (maybe CA wide but I am only familiar with the Bay Area) so the older the home and the fewer upgrades requiring a building permit the lower the taxes. Add to that the fact that bond issues voted on by the residents are outside the property tax limitation statute.

You can see each of the property taxing entities for a specific property at www.portlandmaps.com (or is it .org?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland