Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:35 PM

206 posts, read 259,784 times

Advertisements

Time to move. This a culture of low standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 05:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Yes, we need a top tier university but good luck with that! I am already talking to my oldest about going out of state for university studies.
I don't blame you at all. Luckily U. Washington is in driving distance, but the price tag for out of state....

Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
UW is not heaven on earth, a lot depends on the student's major.

Architecture, graphic arts UO is as least as good. That said, we have more than enough graduates in those majors IMHO.

Urban planning - PSU is top notch.

UO software program is highly regarded, OSU & OTI have excellent engineering (tech hardware) and for OSU construction management programs. OHSU is top ranked in many medical fields.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:47 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
UW is not heaven on earth, a lot depends on the student's major.

Architecture, graphic arts UO is as least as good. That said, we have more than enough graduates in those majors IMHO.

Urban planning - PSU is top notch.

UO software program is highly regarded, OSU & OTI have excellent engineering (tech hardware) and for OSU construction management programs. OHSU is top ranked in many medical fields.
There is no doubt that UO, OSU, PSU have good programs and that education is subjective and that college is what you make of it. I'm just saying that they are underfunded in comparison to their peers which holds them back when you look at things holistically. This isn't a reflection on the intelligence of the students there, their career trajectory, potential, etc., it's just a dollars and cents issue.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There is no doubt that UO, OSU, PSU have good programs and that education is subjective and that college is what you make of it. I'm just saying that they are underfunded in comparison to their peers which holds them back when you look at things holistically. This isn't a reflection on the intelligence of the students there, their career trajectory, potential, etc., it's just a dollars and cents issue.
I do agree that the university system is underfunded in Oregon, I would definitely like to see that change.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 AM

No doubt about that. When I attended the UO instate tuition was very reasonable.

Frankly I have seen underfunding university systems in CA and WA as well [we lived in WA for 15 years, DD lives in CA]. The same is true for educational systems as a whole. Unfortunately the states have promised to much in the way of pension which are eating those resources as an incredible rate. Then add to that the economic down turn and state legislators were left with what $ they couldn't avoid plus costs of required basic services (foster care, prisons).

It costs more per year to imprison a person guilty of a non-violent crime than to send them to college for a year.

There has been no real analysis of where to invest our tax dollars to obtain optimum societal results. They are just sticking their fingers in a leaky dam, IMHO.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Should be noted that at least some of the price hike at UO/OSU is only sticker price, not net price. Both schools are using much more aggressive discounting (high-tuition/high-aid) schemes than they were 20 years ago.

If you're in a group that benefits either from merit aid or need-based aid the cost can in many cases be even less than it would have been a decade ago.

That said, if you're someone paying full sticker price (someone has to pay the bills, after all), then sure, the shift in strategy is probably not to your benefit.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Like Stanford or Harvard.. tuition is negotiable. If your parents are wealthy, unless you are a national merit scholar with some science awards on your mantle,.. pay full price.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Like Stanford or Harvard.. tuition is negotiable. If your parents are wealthy, unless you are a national merit scholar with some science awards on your mantle,.. pay full price.
Heck, I have a buddy who comes from a middle class family that got himself a free ride at MIT for his Masters Degree, but then again the guy is also smart and worked hard for that....and also was born and raised in Portland going to Portland Public Schools. So the moral of the story is to work hard at an education and one can be rewarded with free or cheap college.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 6,844 times
"Oregon has always been an arts first, science...."what? who cares?" kind of place. There is very little structure or accountability for what a student actually learns."

Wow..nothing could be further from the truth about "arts first"! Show me evidence of that! Probably true about science but I have friends with kids in different public schools around Portland and there is little to no art. My son just graduated from PPS and the last time he had any real art instruction or opportunity was in private Kindergarten. And he went to a "9-score school on Great Schools" website.) Some schools pride themselves on having an "art program"..but this usually consists of six weeks, once a week, for an hour. Lack of art and physical education is a huge part of the problem. Also, very short lunches and recess make for a long, stressful day. It's not just about academics. It's the entire experience of how the day is laid out. Also, my son had tons of homework and tests. He was a stressed out kid for most of those years. I'm glad he's out but I wish I could have offered him a better experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland