Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:31 AM

89 posts, read 169,840 times

Advertisements

Oregon public schools were ranked 43rd overall in results and they were the WORST in Math and second worst in Reading!

What is the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:14 PM

38 posts, read 48,333 times
I am not sure where the rankings came from. We have been very happy with our schools. We moved here from Nevada over the summer and before that we lived in Oklahoma. We have seen huge improvements on the quality of teaching here. I see a significant need for overall school building improvements here. At least for the schools my kids go to. But as far as the teachers, miles a head of what we have experienced elsewhere. And my kids were at flashy new schools with Smart Boards in every class and to me, none of that makes a difference if I feel like the teachers are miserable robots. And I know that the teachers don't want to be that way and in most cases that feeling gets passed down from the top (principal, superintendent, Etc.) The teachers at my kids schools actually seem like they are being allowed to teach not just prep for assessments. That is just my view as a new parent in the pps school system. I haven't looked up the rankings to see if you are correct, it does surprise me if you are correct. Maybe we are having such a good experience because I have the privilege to be home and really be involved.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:31 PM

The rankings that I mention are from the Gov't national school rankings. I was researching to see if the schools have gotten any better and came across 2013's results via Oregon Live. I would like to put my children in public school but I dont think it will happen as long as we live in Oregon. Until then, I will shell out $1500/ month for a terrific private school. I love where they are at and the fact that they are not being taught with Common core but it is a lot of money.

Last edited by Panther2004; 12-18-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 12:42 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastTransplant View Post
We moved here from Nevada over the summer and before that we lived in Oklahoma. We have seen huge improvements on the quality of teaching here. ...Maybe we are having such a good experience because I have the privilege to be home and really be involved.
Maybe you're having a good experience because with NV and OK the bar was set pretty low

I do think Oregon employs some great teachers, but the state overall has struggled with school funding dating back to Measure 5. It's not quite that simple of course, but funding and funding structures matter.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
It comes from the high drop out rate in Oregon. Even in Portland it is pretty bad. If the state were to curb that issue, the ranking would improve drastically.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2004 View Post
Oregon public schools were ranked 43rd overall in results and they were the WORST in Math and second worst in Reading!

What is the deal?
As I best I can tell having taught college students in OR, the state doesn't actually teach math in K-12.

Students in calculus-based physics should be able to handle basic algebra.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:55 PM

Another alarming stat was that Oregon HS graduates are among the least ready for (Any) college. Obviously it is a direct correlation to the poor public school system.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2004 View Post
Another alarming stat was that Oregon HS graduates are among the least ready for (Any) college. Obviously it is a direct correlation to the poor public school system.
Not really sure about this, students that take the SATs in Oregon rank higher than the National Average, and the percentage of Oregon students taking the SATs also ranks higher than the National Average. I am not saying there isn't need for improvements in the state, but hardly the worst state, we tend to fall right in the middle out of all the states.

I still think the important factor is focusing on the dropout rate and to get more students to complete their high school education.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:04 PM

38 posts, read 48,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Maybe you're having a good experience because with NV and OK the bar was set pretty low

I do think Oregon employs some great teachers, but the state overall has struggled with school funding dating back to Measure 5. It's not quite that simple of course, but funding and funding structures matter.
For sure. They were overall ranked in the bottom two states. They had nice shiny schools with all the gadgets, but they had seriously unhappy teachers. Which I think stemmed from higher ups that treated them like they couldn't think for themselves. The overall vibes in the schools my kids went to was really tense. That's why I was surprised at the statistics for Oregon.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
That and the fact that we have communities, even counties, that are imploding financially because of the collapse of the wood products industry. The parents used to be able to support a family with a high school education and a woods job. That is gone, the families are struggling to put food on the table.. let alone pay property taxes to support their schools or police force.

As I, my husband and children graduated from Portland schools long ago my only measure is one grandchild in the first grade. So far, so good but I wonder how the school systems will adapt to a wide diversity of acquired skills for children at a given grade, particularly with on-line learning such as the Kahn Academy. My pre-K granddaughter is reading at the 2nd grade level. What will happen when she is in kindergarten?

I think one of the reasons why we have a poor HS graduation rate is that academics are trying to push every student into a college prep program because that is what they did. College isn't an option for many but community college preparation for a crafts or technician's position is realistic.

Frankly I think the No Child Left Behind effort dumbed down the curriculum. Kids and parents were told that they were doing well when in fact they had been successful in a weak program. That is not to say that every student experienced that, as evidenced by the SATs, but some kids don't have parents who push their child into challenging courses - and some of our kids take the easy path.

The Portland district is struggling with how to help several grade schools with struggling students. Parents can, theoretically, use No Child Left Behind options and transfer out (I am not sure we have schools in that bad a shape).. but what happens to children whose parents can't handle the transportation.. not only that but the child is isolated from after school programs and classroom buddies. If a child, or school, is struggling extra resources need to be provided where they are. Unfortunately some children's family lives are so chaotic extra help at school won't make much of a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland