Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,646 times

Advertisements

Is the only reason you're looking to leave Phx because of the weather? The reason I ask is that we're looking to relo from DC (Nova) in a year or so, and although we own a house in N Phoenix (Anthem), we're not too crazy about what we've read about the public schools there. The Basis charter schools look good, but not sure we want to subject our boys to a 30-40 minute commute each way every day. The weather doesn't bother us (in fact, it's a major plus, despite the oppressive summers).

We've just begun researching the Portland/Vancouver area, with our top three priorities being high quality public schools. From what I've seen so far, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone, the Camas district seems to be over-rated. I read about the Lake Oswego schools, and their test scores seem to be quite good. Sherman, not so good.

If we can find a truly exceptional public school district in the Portland area, we may have to seriously consider selling our Phx property and move to the PNW as well (I'm still trying to find a way for us to get back to Phx and address our children's educational needs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:20 PM

72 posts, read 122,620 times
I been to Camas where the mill is several times and never smelled the odor.
School's in Camas are far from over-rated. Their test scores and PTA
are great. Go across and look at the Washington message board.
Camas has no negative's! Also heard the paper mill is closing in
the near future. Plus if you live on the newer side of Camas near
Fisher's Landing you never smell the mill.
Yes Lake Oswego is a great place to live if you're well-off.
Expensive and yuppieville.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
hts

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone regarding my comments on Camas. I've just been reviewing the state test scores for Camas and Lake Oswego (among others in the area) this afternoon, and from an outsider's viewpoint (I've never been to Portland) who is looking strictly at public schools at this point, I really don't think that Camas compares to Lake Oswego. Lake Oswego may be expensive and may be yuppie-ville (I have no idea), and the good people of Camas may be the salt of the earth. All I know, from studying the state-provided school district evals, is that LO blows Camas away. It's not even close.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM

38 posts, read 123,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Is the only reason you're looking to leave Phx because of the weather? The reason I ask is that we're looking to relo from DC (Nova) in a year or so, and although we own a house in N Phoenix (Anthem), we're not too crazy about what we've read about the public schools there. The Basis charter schools look good, but not sure we want to subject our boys to a 30-40 minute commute each way every day. The weather doesn't bother us (in fact, it's a major plus, despite the oppressive summers).

We've just begun researching the Portland/Vancouver area, with our top three priorities being high quality public schools. From what I've seen so far, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone, the Camas district seems to be over-rated. I read about the Lake Oswego schools, and their test scores seem to be quite good. Sherman, not so good.

If we can find a truly exceptional public school district in the Portland area, we may have to seriously consider selling our Phx property and move to the PNW as well (I'm still trying to find a way for us to get back to Phx and address our children's educational needs).
Well I don't want to be negative either. We have lived in the Phoenix metro area for about 10 or so years. We have never loved it. But decided we could have a better life here because of the cost of living compared to the S.F. Bay Area. We actually always wanted to live in Portland ever since graduating from College. But because we were already in the state of Arizona we decided to live in Phoenix. We really have met very good friends here and have enjoyed most our time here. But the heat just is getting worse and I believe will continue to get hotter. Last summer was the unbearable for me and my children. I had to go back to S.F. for about 3 weeks just to get out of the heat and allow them to get out doors.

Anyway enough said about the heat. Coming from S.F. we miss the culture, diversity, and history that most major cities have to offer. We feel we gave Phoenix a fair chance and it's just not happing here for us. Our children are still young enough that it will be easy to move them.

As far the public school systems go. I have my kids in a Catholic School. You may want to read a little about the Arizona public schools as they were rated 48th. This was a few years ago and things may have changed.

You really need to do what is best for you. I have some very good friends who love it here. But it's not everyone. Just like every city it has it's good and bad. I hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
hts

Thanks. There certainly isn't much diversity in Phx (we live back in DC now), but then again, from the limited research I've been able to complete on Portland so far, it's not much better!

If we go back to Phoenix, we'll prolly take a good hard look at the Basis charter schools.

As far as Portland goes, Riverdale and Lake Oswego seem to be the two best school districts as far as I can determine. I'm just not sure I can take all the rain/overcast days in the PNW.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I belong to the Camas Moms Club and the moms all seem very happy with the Camas schools. My children are in a private preschool (Knowledge Beginnings in the Fisher's Landing area of Vancouver) and we love it.

Lake Oswego is a very, very wealthy area. Camas has wealthy areas, too, but is much more middle income. If you compare the houses you can buy at each price point, there is a tremendous difference. We originally looked at L.O. but we decided we didn't want a smaller, older home in a neighborhood lacking sidewalks when the same price would get us a much larger, newer home in a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood.

We are in the Holly Hills area and we've never smelled the paper mill here.

My husband's commute to Portland is easy, far easier than when we stayed in corporate housing at the edge of Lake Oswego. Traffic between Portland and L.O. was horrendous.

That being said, we have good friends in L.O. and we just spent New Year's Day with them. L.O. is lovely. There really isn't a bad choice between L.O. and Camas, as long as you have sufficient income to live well in either one.

Topaz

Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 PM

72 posts, read 122,620 times
What about West Linn just outside of LO. Heard that was a pretty darn good area with very good schooling and nice neighborhoods. Home prices are high, but not as bad as LO.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 PM

38 posts, read 123,298 times
If we decide to move to Portland we will be sending our children to Catholic Schools. I'm sure the public schools are great, but my husband went to Catholic school and he is a firm believer in the schools mostly because of the sense of community. So anyone out there with some good information on the Catholic schools in Portland I would appreciate your input. Especially if you know any with the Blue Ribbon standards.
Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM

615 posts, read 1,172,530 times
Google- Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon, click on and look for schools...
This will give you all the catholic schools in and around the Portland area.
Goodluck.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,172,530 times
Only, "Our Lady of the Lake" in Lake Oswego in 89-90
and Our Lady of Lourdes School in Vancouver in 01-02
has won the Blue Ribbon Awards.
For both States, that is it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland